Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milky Way - Via Latte 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,
Any news or experience from the Milky Way?
I’m heading there in New Year for a week, and the snow forecast doesn’t look very good… anyone with experience their in bleak winters? How is the snow making?
All inputs and insights would be very appreciated.
Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The piste maintenance is top class as they need to make every snowflake count.
The lifts are OK, but need some investment.
Prices are very competitive and food is great.
The skiing around Sauze, San Sicario and Swstriere is enjoyable.
The town itself is actually quite pretty especially the old town, with some nice restaurants.
The apres in town is quite good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out Sauze Online on YouTube, they have frequent updates. Word Cup was in Sestriere last weekend, and some runs now open in Sauze.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hamilton wrote:
Check out Sauze Online on YouTube, they have frequent updates. Word Cup was in Sestriere last weekend, and some runs now open in Sauze.

Great tip. YouTube channel updates every Friday. Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does the area get busy in the Paris school holidays, given it straddles the border?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam I've skied there a lot over the last few years and love it, some of the central hubs can get a little busy but the area is vast so if you venture out early you get away from the crowds pretty quick and there is plenty clear slopes

Padster
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm just back from driving to & from Turin from here in Serre Che so that involves driving through Montgenevre, then Clavierre, then on the descent, I can see the slopes of Sans Sicario and to a lesser extent Sauze.

For a change, I would definitely say that here in SC we scored better than the Via Lattea stations in the last snow-fall.

That said plenty of snow around, though conditions were pretty grim, with light rain and dense cloud & temps at +6 and then every now and again the sum made an appearance.

And over French holidays you'd be amazed at the difference between Montgenevere and the Italian side!

When we had free tickets as part of our SC season pass we'd spend as much time as possible over there in the French holidays.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Useful to know, @Weathercam, thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Watching as daughter is off to sauze at half term.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heading out in mid Jan (scored a great deal) so watching with interest. Light rain sounds more optimistic than the deluge in the northwestern alps. Hoping that we have the return of cold air soon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading out first week in Jan. Keeping fingers crossed! Car hire prices from Turin dropped which should give us a few options from our accommodation in Oulx. Does a 6 day Via Lattea ticket give you any days in Montgenevre? Current conditions look a lot better over there...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
teledemon wrote:
Heading out first week in Jan. Keeping fingers crossed! Car hire prices from Turin dropped which should give us a few options from our accommodation in Oulx. Does a 6 day Via Lattea ticket give you any days in Montgenevre? Current conditions look a lot better over there...

Two days according to the website

"..the Vialattea and Montiluna ski passes for 6 to 15 days have two Montgenèvre extensions included in the chip.."

https://www.vialattea.it/en/skipass/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very last minute: heading out to Sauze tomorrow (27th Dec) for 4 days...anyone around?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strax wrote:
Very last minute: heading out to Sauze tomorrow (27th Dec) for 4 days...anyone around?

No, but got my eye on a last minute 5 night trip from Tuesday 3rd, so would love to hear what conditions are like when you get there, please (and thank you in advance) Little Angel

Hope your travel goes smoothly. I've never fancied the idea of flying between Christmas and New Year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
teledemon wrote:

Two days according to the website

"..the Vialattea and Montiluna ski passes for 6 to 15 days have two Montgenèvre extensions included in the chip.."

https://www.vialattea.it/en/skipass/

Sounds like a good plan...Just getting my head round the ticketing options on the website!
snow report
Curious if anyone knows how Montgenevre is right now. The online snow depth says 150cm, powder, but it doesn't seem like there's ever been new snowfall forecasted for Montgenevre in a while. Much appreciated
latest report
Hopefully some snow forecast for the area Thursday/Friday this week.
snow conditions
Likewise, I would be grateful for a view on current and anticipated conditions in Montgenevre. We have flights booked in and out of Geneva next week and the original plans for Portes du Soleil look like they could be improved given the current conditions and forecast weather! Thank you in advance.
snow report
keep an eye on sauze online channels

http://youtube.com/v/wLpoPxcjiJA

due a new weather update shortly. from what he says on above, French side more effected by higher temps and rain than Italian side last week. Temps have dropped again so snow cannons will be operating and links all appear to be open now from what I've seen online post Xmas. a little snow forecast for Friday evening
ski holidays
The "light snow" forecast for today has started to roll in looking at the webcams
ski holidays
Just noticed on the via lattea website some of the resort links have closed...hopefully temporarily. Anyone know if the forecast snow will be enough to get them open again? Still, glad we hired a car for next week...and the 2 days Montgenevre option looks like a good shout!
latest report
Yeah, agreed. There looks to be more snow coming in in the NorthWestern alps (closer to Geneva), but they had a bad past 1-2 weeks. Montgenevre looks like there's less snow forecasted, but I'm assuming their snow base has maintained better so far.

Would love to hear from anyone in area.
snow report
teledemon wrote:
Just noticed on the via lattea website some of the resort links have closed...hopefully temporarily. Anyone know if the forecast snow will be enough to get them open again? Still, glad we hired a car for next week...and the 2 days Montgenevre option looks like a good shout!

Remember your passport - French can be very strict by car. Did not need it by ski. Madeye-Smiley

Powder Shocked nowhere in the area last week! But snow was better towards the French side.
snow conditions
Will do…Thanks! @Hyst
snow report
teledemon wrote:

Difficult to say. It's the top of Mt Fraiteve that has closed off.
Maybe worried about high winds coming in, hence keep it closed to save people getting stranded in wrong valley...
Or maybe the black piste from the top of Mt F down into Sauze is in poor shape so closed it off until conditions improve / to stop it getting worse as its either that piste or a horrible narrow cat track is the only link down that way.

Forecast looking good for 8th - 15th though, a snowy week promised.
latest report
Quote:

maybe the black piste from the top of Mt F down into Sauze is in poor shape so closed it off until conditions improve / to stop it getting worse as its either that piste or a horrible narrow cat track is the only link down that way

Is there an option to download in a lift?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

maybe the black piste from the top of Mt F down into Sauze is in poor shape so closed it off until conditions improve / to stop it getting worse as its either that piste or a horrible narrow cat track is the only link down that way

Is there an option to download in a lift?

I don't think so, it's a slowish old 2 man chair upto it from Sauze, I didn't see anyone us it to go down, as you would have to stop the lift to load people.
It's a modern gondola up / down to Sestriere which you can download on.
ski holidays
Thanks @t44tomo. Don't know the area at all - heading there at the end of February and finding the piste map quite a challenge to interpret! When the road link between two of the areas in Les Saisies was closed for several weeks after a landslip they did use a slow, fixed chair which was normally "up only" as a route down too, but only for skiers. But that's now been replaced by a gondola so there will be a regular "up and over".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t44tomo, does the same problem with the liaison exist between Sansicario and Sauze - looks like it might, from the piste map?
snow report
pam w wrote:
@t44tomo, does the same problem with the liaison exist between Sansicario and Sauze - looks like it might, from the piste map?

Yes unfortunately, the 2 man from Sauze, and the Gondola from Sestriere meet at the top, Sansicario also meets there by a dry lift then a covered moving carpet. When I was there last year they were open, when returning back to Sauze I took the route around the side of the peak, to access the black down into Sauze, rather than the start of the black under the 2 man chair as it was in better condition, I did try the blue on my first day, never again it’s horrific, mainly due to other nervous skiers and a nasty drop off for part of the way. I enjoyed the skiing generally although the snow wasn’t great, if your staying in Sauze, nearer to the Clotes lift, hire your skis at the bottom of the station and use their lockers, it’s a steep climb up and no fun in ski boots and carrying skis.
ski holidays
Thanks @geoffknight. It's beginning to sound less than ideal!!
snow conditions
@pam w, it’s fine, there are two lifts up from Sauze, I only used Clotes as it was the nearest to my Hotel, Gran Baita which was lovely. There is a mini bus around town so you could use that, and there’s plenty of skiing even if the links are closed.
ski holidays
The place I have an option on (airBnB) is on the Clotes piste, just above the lift.
snow report
pam w wrote:
The place I have an option on (airBnB) is on the Clotes piste, just above the lift.

Perfect location to be. The last few hundred metres down into town is always sketchy seemingly regardless of how much it has snowed it’s just one of those sections which gets icy and cut up sadly often with people going too fast for the layout. But it’s ideal to be just above the lift you can always find a gap to scooch off at the side and walk a short distance to your accommodation.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Thanks @t44tomo. Don't know the area at all - heading there at the end of February and finding the piste map quite a challenge to interpret! When the road link between two of the areas in Les Saisies was closed for several weeks after a landslip they did use a slow, fixed chair which was normally "up only" as a route down too, but only for skiers. But that's now been replaced by a gondola so there will be a regular "up and over".

Trust me when I say the piste map will entirely make sense once you’ve spent a few hours there Pam. It’s a pretty good area to get about easily in my opinion. My only word of caution re coming back from Sestriere side into Sauze is off the top you have a choice of a blue or a black run down. The blue I’ve always found to be a nightmare. It’s a narrow track which gets rutted so effectively dictated as to when you can turn to slow and I’ve never enjoyed it. A teenage English lad died going over the edge a few years back.
The black is steep at the top but wide and is by far my preferred piste down.
latest report
Thanks. The blue does sound horrific. Black the way to go, but closed at the moment, presumably for lack of snow.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Not sure what your "ideal" is. We stayed in Sestriere, if youre in Sauze at least you don't have to contend with the queue for the two man back up to Fraiteve.

Yes the route down from Mt Fraiteve into Sauze is a bit hobsons choice, but our weakest skier found the black OK, there is choice of two bits at the top and both a very wide and nothing too arduous. He said the blue track was worse in a different way. Mt F down to San Scicario is fine, its pretty much all wide cruisey reds in SS and the runs to the far right of the piste map (79/71) through the forest are the loveliest IMHO. I would advise you to explore the wider area earlier in the day and head back to Sauze early PM so you arent trying to do the black run when its crowded and cut up. Sauze has some lovely runs down through trees as well as some higher up stuff with nice wide pistes.

Sestriere can be accessed either by downloading or a long home run (red 82 into a blue lower down - dont go via the blue track 27) (or a combo as it has a middle station for the Gondola). Sestriete is sort of two areas together with the Borgata side having the longer runs down from Mt Motta, which was the original Olympic downhill run.

Sanscicario to Colle Bercia is a double gondola download and 3 chair lifts up - so can take a while, and Montgenevre is a further schlep beyond that. For a long weekend (3.5 days) we find enough to do in Sest, Sauze and SS and obviously from Sestriere even further over towards the french side.

It looked like the links at Mt F were back up this afternoon, and in any event there will be more snow by we get out over 20th Jan weekend and defo by you're there in Feb.
latest report
Thanks so much - very useful, and reassuring.
ski holidays
t44tomo wrote:
pam w wrote:

Not sure what your "ideal" is. We stayed in Sestriere, if youre in Sauze at least you don't have to contend with the queue for the two man back up to Fraiteve.

Yes the route down from Mt Fraiteve into Sauze is a bit hobsons choice, but our weakest skier found the black OK, there is choice of two bits at the top and both a very wide and nothing too arduous. He said the blue track was worse in a different way. Mt F down to San Scicario is fine, its pretty much all wide cruisey reds in SS and the runs to the far right of the piste map (79/71) through the forest are the loveliest IMHO. I would advise you to explore the wider area earlier in the day and head back to Sauze early PM so you arent trying to do the black run when its crowded and cut up. Sauze has some lovely runs down through trees as well as some higher up stuff with nice wide pistes.

Sestriere can be accessed either by downloading or a long home run (red 82 into a blue lower down - dont go via the blue track 27) (or a combo as it has a middle station for the Gondola). Sestriete is sort of two areas together with the Borgata side having the longer runs down from Mt Motta, which was the original Olympic downhill run.

Sanscicario to Colle Bercia is a double gondola download and 3 chair lifts up - so can take a while, and Montgenevre is a further schlep beyond that. For a long weekend (3.5 days) we find enough to do in Sest, Sauze and SS and obviously from Sestriere even further over towards the french side.

It looked like the links at Mt F were back up this afternoon, and in any event there will be more snow by we get out over 20th Jan weekend and defo by you're there in Feb.

Pretty much spot on synopsis
snow report
So much good info here! On a dark night in the highlands there’s nothing better than poring over piste maps, webcams etc. Looks like the temps are dropping the rest of the week and we’re in for snow from Sunday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy