Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix (best lunch spots to eat at) + some other bits

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

A group of 10 of us will be heading to Chamonix on Sun 28th Jan.

I've been many many different resorts across the French alps but Chamonix would be all our first time here.

With this in mind, can anybody give me some good pointers of the best places for lunch.

6 of us will be skiing and there will be 4 adult none skier and a 2 year old toddler in toe (obviously not skiing ha!)

* if there are good piste-side restaurants to eat at were none skiers can join us - what would you say are the best ones?
just good hearty food like pasta / burgers / GOOD steaks / stews / casseroles that sort of thing.
We have one particular person in our group who is a fussy eater to say the least and I have a feeling they will struggle @ lunch times.... as they are a ... well traditional gammon & chips person if you get my drift! and yes they have been warned in advance haha!!!!
> I've heard La Taniere Mountain restaurant in Les Houches / St Gervais is meant to be really good, and looking at the trip advisor reviews this would confirm that!. Can none skiers join us here or would it be a bit tricky given its location ? Is it worth booking in advance ?
If they none skiers cant make it hear for lunch is it possible to book a table here for evening meal later on at night ?

* In addition to the above, any restaurants that are really good lunch stop (but not necessarily accessible for none skiers) were also open too suggestions....... as some days the none skiers may want to eat back in the town anyway especially with a toddler in tow.

* the youngest (toddler aged 27 months) - do they do a pre-school taster ski session there or would they still be way to young for this ? By ski, I don't mean learning to ski ... more of a pre-ski school little experience for them ?

* Final question ....... looking online I can only seem to find a Chamonix manc blanc area ski map of the lifts themselves.....and no detailed ski runs. Does anybody have apdf or URL link they point me too were is details ALL the lifts (and) coloured pistes in each of the ski areas covered by the mont blanc pass ?

Cheers Guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.lacremerieduglacier.fr/

great place for skiiers to ski to and walkers to walk to. just of the home run at grand montets (down the bottom to help walkers!)

edit...for just skiiers the refuge du lognan is good Smile

its also close to the piou piou :

https://www.esfchamonix.com/petits/club-pioupiou

piste plans shouldnt be too hard to find online though Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Si_Dean, you're asking a couple of years too soon, Serac has not released their strangle hold just yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
btw I'll second @eddiethebus regards the Cremerie.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for tips peeps, appreciated :0)

@midgetbiker, sorry if i'm being a bit thick here, but what do you mean by Serac ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The company that currently almost has a monopoly on providing catering on the hill in the valley in winter (and doesn't do an awesome job).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cremerie du Glacier in Argentiere is by far the best restaurant that non-skiers can access - great traditional mountain food - but you'll need to book.

The valley is segregated into 4 areas:
Vallorcine/Le Tour at the eastern end - exposed and cold in bad weather but good slopes for intermediates real beginners will struggle. Good restaurants that non skiers can access in Both Le Tour and Vallorcine, booking advised. (2 very good options in Vallorcine - Cafe Comptoir excellent but can be pricey, the one in the train station really good and more basic)

Argentiere (Les Grands Montets) - all steep, challenging slopes, good intermediates and above will enjoy, anyone below that level would have a tough day at the office unless they really want push themselves. Cremerie (above) is great, L'Argentero at the bottom also good - pizzas etc. Nothing up above worth going up for food-wise.

Brevent/Flegere - middle of Valley above Cham town so nearest to centre. South facing, lovely on a sunny day, 1 beginners area above flegere, 1 at Brevent but they're not extensive, runs off Brevent, Cornu, Index and Floria lifts steep and challenging. No restaurants non-skiers could meet at unless they got the bubble/Cable Car up but none worth doing that for - all expensive and bit rubbish.

Les Houches - South Western end of Valley, lower down, tree-lined for most of it, nice slopes, something for everyone although again, real beginners might struggle. If weather's bad, head here, great on a nice day too though. Several good restaurants on the hill (La Ferme is a favourite - rumour it's changed hands recently though, not been to LH for couple of seasons.) but none that can be accessed by non skiers - not sure what the ones at the top of the main uplifts are like if non-skiers prepared to pay for a bubble - suspect better to meet for lunch down in town. Only been tyo La Taniere once may moons ago - very good, yes, can't see how possibly accessible on foot unless a path up from St.G?!

All good food places need booking in advance. Evening meals you really don't need to leave Cham town - limitless choice! Munchies (asian fusion) awesome, Moo (burgers) very good, too many to mention really.

In terms of ski-run colours, they're a bit coy about them in Cham - reality is most blues there would be red/black in most other resorts and reds are dark red/black. Even the (very few) green runs (except the Savoy and Planards beginners slopes) usually have a little steep-ish surprise somewhere along their length.

Enjoy!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy