Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance (To Much snow)

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe the same in other countries worth checking !

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2018/01/snowed-in-skiers-unlikely-to-get-their-money-back-on-alpine-holidays/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surprise - surprise Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It defeats me why anyone would expect to get their money back because of heavy weather. I've sat in expensively chartered yachts sheltering from gales - never occurred to me to look for a refund!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I might not pre-book my pass next time. Two days out of four I could not ski. And no, I have not even bothered to look at my insurance policy. win some - lose some
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I never pre-book my pass anyway. It's never much cheaper to book it and it's just one more thing to have to cancel if for any reason you can't go.

If pistes are shut because of excess snow, most decent insurance policies to have a piste closure part that pays you a set amount per day that you can't go skiing because stuff is shut. I haven't read the small print so I don't know if everything has to be closed, or above a set proportion of them or something (you'd like to think so, otherwise one nursery slope opening could scupper it! but we know what insurers are like)

Probably best plan is to go to the doctors and tell them you have a headache and ears are blocked. Hopefully they'll sign you off to not fly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H wrote:
I might not pre-book my pass next time. Two days out of four I could not ski. And no, I have not even bothered to look at my insurance policy. win some - lose some

You are going to book on a day by day basis?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
Mike-H wrote:

I normally order a pass for the duration of my stay, in advance. It is then at my accommodation on my arrival. Just lazy Smile However, a walk to the office would have saved me money this time. win some - lose some
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
It defeats me why anyone would expect to get their money back because of heavy weather.

If I've paid for an insurance policy that includes piste closure coverage, I'd expect to be able to claim if most of the pistes are closed.

I took a look at Rock, an insurer I've used in the past, and sure enough their piste closure coverage only covers lack of snow:

Quote:
20. Piste Closure
We will pay a benefit if lack of snow prevents you from skiing for more than 24 hours.

That's from their sales pages, so they are up front about it, but calling it "piste closure" is a bit misleading in my opinion if they don't cover most reasons for piste closure. The trouble is the insurers know what leads to big claims, so write exclusions into the policies. Insurance is a very complicated product, so customers don't know what they need to look for in a policy, so often just buy the cheapest.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, Have a look at https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/ for day to day skiing

La Plagne were offering refunds on ski passes last week. both on line and at the pass offices.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it shows that most folks do not understand insurance or even think about being massively out pocket.

You can go on your vacation be snowed in & have no recourse on insurance.....

Just saying .... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Layne, Have a look at https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/ for day to day skiing

La Plagne were offering refunds on ski passes last week. both on line and at the pass offices.

Surprising - I thought normal OP was to open at least a bunny lift and claim the resort was open for skiing then point to the no refunds sign.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike-H wrote:
Layne wrote:
Mike-H wrote:

I normally order a pass for the duration of my stay, in advance. It is then at my accommodation on my arrival. Just lazy Smile However, a walk to the office would have saved me money this time. win some - lose some

My point was let's say I arrive on Saturday, how do I know the lifts will be shut on Tuesday or Wednesday? As we all know the forecast is changeable even from a couple of days before. The only way round it would be to wake up in the morning and if OK go and get a days lift pass. Alas given the rarity of missed days that wouldn't save me any money.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don't save a huge amount buying longer duration passes. But queues at life pass offices are a terrible waste of time. Most resorts provide a way of doing this online.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:

Because we are a family (me, wife + 2 kids) I got a pass for 305 Euros (Paradiski 8 days). A la carte would be 42 on Saturday and 51 for the rest of the week. If I didn't lose a day it would cost 390 Euros. I would have to lose 3 days skiing to save any money. I think I've ever lost a day totally once. If I knew it would get the money back or not pay anything I may have missed another day here and there. But I have two precious weeks skiing a year. It's got to be very ropey for me not to go out. And to be honest 95% of the time I still have a good day and don't regret it. So a la carte wouldn't make sense for me. That is not to say it's not a valid option and yes last week was one of those rare occasions it may save you money. But I would say it is very rare. As shown by the fact that some areas are offering refunds. As the other poster said normally they get a few lifts open for the exact reason no refunds are required.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think @Lizzard once explained pass economics as the reason 6 day passes are as cheap as they are is because the punter is taking the risk on days they'll be shut out/hungover/man flued. Hence the no refunds without a doctor's report testifying your severed head policy.
latest report
dp wrote:
I never pre-book my pass anyway. It's never much cheaper to book it ...

That's not true of all resorts. With the Jungfrau region skipass for example you get a 20% discount off the normal price if you order it online at least 3 weeks in advance. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
The main reason for me to prebook ski passes is that I can load up old cards, then I can go straight from the apartment to the lift on the first morning. But I tend to do this a day or two before we go (normally because I’m putting off spending the money or just not got round to it).

Agree with @Dave of the Marmottes that the “snow guarantee” (at least in Sweden) means there is at least a few treterous ice runs opens with no “snow” in sight.
snow report
pam w wrote:
It defeats me why anyone would expect to get their money back because of heavy weather. I've sat in expensively chartered yachts sheltering from gales - never occurred to me to look for a refund!!

Have a look back at the time the Birthday Bash (or a good chunk of it) got stranded at Alleghe instead of Arraba. There were some agitated bunnies. Mind you I was happy - I had promised Mrs a that my Off Piste days were over --- but on piste was fresh powder. Result snowHead
snow report
IIRC some of those bunnies were agitated because they had insurance but had no paper copies - relying on online access.
snow conditions
I was in Arabba where everything was closed for several days. That's life!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I was in Arabba where everything was closed for several days. That's life!

Several days? Really?
snow conditions
@Layne, you have not heard about the famous birthday bash with refugees everywhere? Shocked

Or maybe Layne was there? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Personally I think ski resorts should offer a refund if they don't open any lifts. If I buy a 6 day service and they only provide 5 days they've not met their obligation.

Some resorts in north america used to do "snow checks" in that you could get a refund within your first hour of skiing if you were not happy with the conditions - which included wind, fog, lack of snow. Not sure if anywhere still does it. Its not unusual in north america to be given vouchers as compensation if your lift gets stuck which is nothing compared to losing a whole day! Different level of customer service between n America and Europe though.
snow report
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40550858
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Personally I think ski resorts should offer a refund if they don't open any lifts. If I buy a 6 day service and they only provide 5 days they've not met their obligation.

Some resorts in north america used to do "snow checks" in that you could get a refund within your first hour of skiing if you were not happy with the conditions - which included wind, fog, lack of snow. Not sure if anywhere still does it. Its not unusual in north america to be given vouchers as compensation if your lift gets stuck which is nothing compared to losing a whole day! Different level of customer service between n America and Europe though.

If they don't open any lifts I am sure they would. But I think the mindset is to get something open - even for a few hours in order to avoid this. And to be fair they are in a bit of a catch 22 because many would rather have limited skiing or skiing in challenging conditions rather than no skiing at all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy