Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres in Italy.

Poster: A snowHead
We're hiring a car from Bergamo airport and are having difficultly figuring out whether snow tyres are available. The don't seem to be standard in the winter months as in Austria and Germany. The option of snow chains is given, but not tires. Anyone have any experience of this? We're going to Monterosa in January and I think snow tyres would be wise.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ottoline, no, not issued as standard. If you search, I think there's a thread where some company did offer them as an option (Sixt?).

I'd hope them to be wise as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think chains are standard for car pick up in Lombardy (BGY)

not sure about snow tires being standard
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are law on hire cars in Veneto
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I booked online and then rang the car hire desk and asked for them. Extra charge of course, but hopefully they'll be ready and waiting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ottoline, 3 years ago with Sixt at Bergamo I ordered in advance winter package with winter tyres. Sixt desk at the airport tried to “ upgrade” me for a bigger car with chains. tried to argue for 10 min that I ordered a special winter package that includes snow tyres. Sixt girl at a desk simply repeats - “ we do not have any” ... after another 10 min of raised voice and a bit of shouting the girl from the same drawer takes car keys a hands to me ... when in a car parking I checked all Sixt cars and see that 3 cars have winter tyres on .... so it takes a bit of shouting to get what you booked. I booked special winter package at a higher price and having phoned Sixt at Bergamo twice was really suprised by their attitude on spot. Good that I did not settle for an “upgrade”. So in the end you can get winter tyres, but survice level is very low .... friends hired winterised golf from Europcar, but first they had to call europcar at bergamo since their online info did not show any. So patience and call them first to confirm the availability
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ottoline, not just wise but mandatory in Aosta.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that. I might confirm closer to the time. We took a car there last year without winter tyres, and did a bit of slip sliding around.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just realised I spelled tyres as tires in the topic heading..... mortified
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jbob, mandatory but usually ignored.

Mind you... snowpocalypse were heading Chamonix-Champoluc and the Italian police were stopping every car without snow tyres, independent of nationality and sending them back to France for chains.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure but don't think any of the major hire Co's have winter tyres in Bergamo.
You can get them from Avis/Eurocar/etc in Verona and Venice.

Best thing to do it NOT to book online if you want winter tyres but call the desk at the airport as they will speak English. Book the car on the phone with the desk.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lisa_BrentaSki, I called twice Sixt at Bergamo and each time I was told they have cars with winter tyres and that I should book online. It is just that I had to almost use pliers to get keys to a car with winter tyres
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ottoline wrote:
Just realised I spelled tyres as tires in the topic heading..... mortified

FIFY
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ottoline, just travelled to malpensa. ordered online with car hire to include both winter tyres and chains. no problem.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimastaaah, who did you use, and book through, we are going in Feb. Thanks
ski holidays
Thank you!
latest report
Renting car from Venice Marco Polo later this month. Anyone snowHeads done that recently? Good/bad experience with particular suppliers there?
Would like to ensure snow tyres without a 'shouting match' at airport if possible. Would also like to hire ski racks, eg those magnetic things that stick to car roof, or similar device. Anyone done that please?
snow report
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
Not sure but don't think any of the major hire Co's have winter tyres in Bergamo.
You can get them from Avis/Eurocar/etc in Verona and Venice.

Best thing to do it NOT to book online if you want winter tyres but call the desk at the airport as they will speak English. Book the car on the phone with the desk.

Never ever make a booking in Italy without clear written agrement! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hired last year from Bergamo..One of the low cost car hire cos, so was not expecting much

Had a choice of two small cars, one with snow tyres, which I took
Chains were extra but small fee.

I am fairly sure in Lombardy car hires must have chains in the winter, there is a fee but not excessive
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Renting car from Venice Marco Polo later this month. Anyone snowHeads done that recently? Good/bad experience with particular suppliers there?
Would like to ensure snow tyres without a 'shouting match' at airport if possible. Would also like to hire ski racks, eg those magnetic things that stick to car roof, or similar device. Anyone done that please?

Just make sure it's a car and not a boat Very Happy
snow report
@geoffknight, I used the Italian company Sicily by Car through www.carflexi.com.
Be aware that there are only a few car rental offices actually in the main airport building at Malpensa Terminal 1. You would need to check these out because there is a separate area for some car hire firms that require a bus trip to get to them.
AND..... there are rather confusing directional signs that take you away from the lower ground floor of the terminal which is where these car rental desks are.
Also if you are a first timer to Malpensa that there is no on airport petrol station, you would need to fill up just off the approach carriageway about 3 miles to the airport.
ski holidays
Do Italians realise they have mountains?
ski holidays
Hertz statement

Hertz Car Rental Locations Bergamo Airport
Please note: from 15 Nov to 15 Apr many cities are required by law to restrict the circulation to only vehicles equipped with snow chains or winter tyres. For a summary of the orders, please visit www.poliziadistato.it. To comply with the regulations, in specific locations subject to this requirement, vehicles are equipped with snow chains - the price is included in the rental charges through the cost of "Winterization Fee". At pick-up if you decide to bring your own snow chains or do not intend on driving on the roads subject to this requirement, you may decline the equipment by signing the appropriate release form. This change will be reflected in the rental charges. For more information on the fees, please click here. In all other regions, we recommend that you check before renting if your journey includes one of the roads subject to this requirement and therefore request the snow chains, if necessary.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
Do Italians realise they have mountains?

ONLY WHEN SNOWING11111111111111
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy