Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a helmet in resort - Saalbach-Hinterglemm?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, we're skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm next week, and it's my better half's birthday while we're out there. I was thinking of taking him to get a helmet of his own as a gift. We're relatively new skiers (this is our fourth year) and have always used hire helmets previously. I'm thinking if I get him a helmet I can then get him a little tomtom bandit to stick to it if we manage a second trip this year, he loves a gadget!

A couple of questions then: is it even a good idea to buy gear in resort? Will it be hideously overpriced? And if not, can anyone recommend shops in that resort which are good?

And finally, should we be looking for any particular type of helmet as lower-intermediates? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think as ski helmets are generally made in the Eurozone prices shouldn't be different to here, possibly better than here and a better choice too. Unlikely you'll get any sales prices though in resort at least until the season ends. Been a few years since I was there but I'm sure there was a decent big Intersport in Saalbach.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buying any sort of ski equipment in a ski resort is generally more expensive. However unless you are confident of head size of your OH , then it is wise he is there to try on the Helmet, plus different Lids suit different heads. Pretty much any reputable ski helmet make is good enough, doesnt matter as to how good a skier you are. Unless competing in FIS world cup. ( Different Helmets).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both - no FIS world cup for me yet (do you think I can get to that level before I'm 50? wink )

I'll maybe give it a go and see what there is, with him in tow so he can choose - stupidly I only just thought of it as an option otherwise I would have dragged him to some ski shops in the UK before we leave but no chance of that now. I'll certainly look for the big Intersport.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As mentioned by @Timbobaggins, as long as the helmet is certified it will meet the minimum standards. Spending more, generally gets you better adjustment and finish, and more resistance to wear and tear.

If you are looking at mounting a camera check to see if the helmet has a specific mount or mounting zone which has been specifically strengthened.

Aside from the mentioned FIS racing helmets, the only other specific helmets are those designed to take multiple impacts in park skiing/boarding, were the learning process generally involves a lot of falling over. But unless he's thinking of becoming a park rat, he won't need one.

As always, fit is everything. The helmet should stay on when you shake your head without the chin strap done up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a big Hervis store in Hinterglemm, which is more likely to be at the lower end of the price scale than the more upscale shops in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again! While I'm less concerned about price, I certainly don't want to pay what I don't need to! I'll check out Hervis.

@PowderAdict, honestly, our learning on piste seems to involve a fair amount of falling over. Embarassed

Thanks for the tip on fit - sounds like it's similar to fitting a riding hat so I'll make sure the OH doesn't refuse to get something snug (he's very much a 'I don't need it tight, no of course we don't need snow chains, what do you mean I should get more lessons' type...), as riding hats certainly get a little looser with time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElzP, You could try Ski Pro in Saalbach. I recommended someone to go there a few days ago to buy skis, and to mention that I recommended them to go there (the owner and his assistant, Elena, know me). Apparently they got a good discount and were very satisfied. Also try Hansis Best-Price (next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main village street). Hansi is a personal friend and always looks after people who I send to him. I think he sells "Sinner" and possibly "Black Sheep" helmets.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tatmanstours wrote:
@ElzP, You could try Ski Pro in Saalbach. I recommended someone to go there a few days ago to buy skis, and to mention that I recommended them to go there (the owner and his assistant, Elena, know me). Apparently they got a good discount and were very satisfied. Also try Hansis Best-Price (next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main village street). Hansi is a personal friend and always looks after people who I send to him. I think he sells "Sinner" and possibly "Black Sheep" helmets.

Brilliant, thank you! There's clearly going to have to be a couple of hours of Saalbach shopping (possibly following be a couple of hours of Saalbach drinking before we head back to Hinterglemm with our purchases if we do it).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy