Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any bad experiences here?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if anyone has had any weirdo experiences with anyone on this forum? It's a leap of faith to go on a trip with strangers on a forum...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if this will open the floodgates or if everyone will keep schtumm.........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, well I am taking the leap of faith and have booked the family bash.

Will be my first
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, Perhaps to set your mind at rest I can refer you to a comment by another female snowHead, Schuss in Boots, in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2004931&highlight=rocket+scientist#2004931

Seriously though, if you go on a snowHeads Bash I think you will be pleasantly surprised how welcoming, friendly and normal (well in most cases anyway Madeye-Smiley ) you'll find us to be. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No more different than staying in a shared catered chalet - sometimes you meet very nice people - and sometimes some a bit different people - just have to be able to manage all sorts of people.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, I've just reread that thread, had completely forgotten it. Good grief, a lot's happened since then. Laughing

@ElizabethLizzyLiz, in addition to my comments on that one, I would just say whatever you do, don't even consider going unless you are planning on doing more... one bash will just not be enough... wink I could bore you all to death with my story, but quite simply my life was never quite the same after that first bash. I made life long friends, people I love dearly and have never laughed so much as I have on those bashes. They are really quite special. And a wedding... there was a wedding.... wink Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tbere have been lots of weddings....and babies
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, . . . . . Been on two bashes, husband and son on a lot more between them and have to emphasise what @Schuss in Boots, said. One is never enough. You might meet weirdos, but in general they will be your kind of weirdos. Spending time in snow with others who love spending time in snow? How could you fail to have a good time? You'll be back!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weirdos? Hundreds of them. You have to be a bit weird to book a ski trip with a load of complete strangers from an internet forum.

Bad, nasty, dangerous weirdos?.. No, not a one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bashes are great, plenty of weirdos but the right type of weirdo snowHead

If you’re just setting up a trip with someone else through the ‘solo skier’ bit then it’s slightly different as you won’t have the large number of people that go to a bash. I did a trip a few years ago with a bloke, he was fine and we skied happily all week but I wouldn’t say we got on like a house on fire.

It’s definitely more of a leap of faith in terms of whether you’ll get on, but maybe try to meet up in the UK before going.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, in the same boat as @NickyJ and my first Bash will be the EoSB 2018.

Would have booked an earlier one, but had a clash of dates with the S14BB.

Certainly haven't read anything on this forum to put me off, hence I took the plunge and very, very much looking forward to it. Although I haven't been yet, I have a feeling I'll be going on plenty of others in the future.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went on my first Bash a few weeks back, shared the room with 2 other guys.....and what do you know I never once caught them trying on my underwear! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@king key, but can they say the same Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:
@king key, but can they say the same Shocked

LOL! Laughing

He does sound slightly disappointed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a bad experience financially.

Enjoyed my first bash so much last year I've signed up again Razz
latest report
Hyst wrote:
No more different than staying in a shared catered chalet - sometimes you meet very nice people - and sometimes some a bit different people - just have to be able to manage all sorts of people.

If it was Bashes you were thinking about others comments are better to listen to. ( I have never been at a Bush - and the only Snowhead I met, I met in Japan - and yes a bit odd to travel that far to meet a Snowhead. Embarassed )
snow report
king key wrote:
I went on my first Bash a few weeks back, shared the room with 2 other guys.....and what do you know I never once caught them trying on my underwear! Very Happy

You need to buy better underwear . . . Batman logo nylon 'Y'fronts just make yer plums sweaty and we can't wear them as balaclavas Confused
snow conditions
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, there are some eccentrics, but on a scale from 'being a bit unnerved by red-heads' to 'liking fava beans and Chianti with mystery meat' . . . . we tend to the lower end of the scale . . . though if Scarpa offers to show you his snake Shocked

There is also a lot of safety in numbers too, they can't ALL be complete nutters . . .
ski holidays
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, do you think admin would allow any negative comments about the bashes on this forum? Toofy Grin

Joking aside, I do think bashes are really for people who are ok with meeting strangers. Just like any forums in general. Those who only hangout with people they already know are typically not on any forums, period.

So, as you’ve joined the forum and had contributed some posts already, I think you’ll fit in fine.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-12-17 15:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Schuss in Boots, I fell in love with your laugh the first time I heard it . . . you were 500 yards away on the other side of the airport Eh oh! I miss you guys xx
ski holidays
@abc, just to be clear, while I would obviously prefer to be told privately of any problem on a bash, I certainly wouldn't censor any forum comments about them, positive or negative. That would be entirely against the ethos.
latest report
There's only one weirdo on the bashes but seeing as he runs the forum we're stuck with him Toofy Grin
latest report
I flatshared with someone I met on here for two seasons and have skied with many more shs. Most were worryingly normal. I guess that makes me the weirdo.
snow report
@spyderjon, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
there are some eccentrics, but on a scale from 'being a bit unnerved by red-heads' to 'liking fava beans and Chianti with mystery meat'...

Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you Toofy Grin

...that much Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Laughing
ski holidays
ElizabethLizzyLiz wrote:
Just wondered if anyone has had any weirdo experiences with anyone on this forum?

Yep, I had loads of experiences with weirdos on bashes.
These have included::
Thinking a curly wig blowing accross the piste was a marmot and falling over.
Experienced a Jacuzzi bath with someone in Budgie smugglers, with a ski sock stuffed down the front.
Swum half naked in a kiddies paddling pool....in a bar.
Sung sex bomb at a karaoke with a St Bernard.
Been the sufferer of an Admin room allocation joke. (2 big fat blokes in a broom cupboard sharing a set of bunks)
Seeing a man eat a fondue royale and then pass his entire body mass out through his anus.
Stopped a coach fire.
Had my holiday saved by a cuppa.
Met a proper Looney on an airport car park transfer bus.
Been on A Kramer off piste adventure.

That was just one bash. The really weird stuff followed that.
I've met the odd one that wasn't my cup of tea, but I certainly have never been stalked, kidnapped or murdered.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, best bash ever!
ski holidays
admin wrote:
@abc, just to be clear, while I would obviously prefer to be told privately of any problem on a bash, I certainly wouldn't censor any forum comments about them, positive or negative. However I might allocate you the room next to the septic tank.

Fixed for you, no charge Very Happy Very Happy

Standing by to be allocated the room next to the septic tank... Shocked

And Merry Christmas @admin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 25-12-17 18:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I think, on a serious note, snowHeads, as an organiser of activities, does a good job of filtering out bad people. (As others have pointed out, it also does a good job of filtering in weirdos).

I think the main thing that protects snowheads trips is that it's a kind of long-term commitment. If you (hypothetically - not that I have any experience in it) go on a generic chalet holiday, you can spend the week trying your best to cop off with whatever members of the opposite sex are present, confidently in the knowledge that the chances of bumping into them or anyone else on the trip, in another chalet in another week in the future are pretty slim indeed. But with snowheads, it's the same people meeting in the same place on each of the trips. Therefore, you don't get the anonymity, and any reputation that you might develop in that first week could end up following you. I think it's a very valuable trait, that being a snowhead is for life - not just for a week's ski trip. Before I joined snowheads I did do some chalet holidays, and met far too many people that weren't bothered about burning their bridges with their fellows because you've only got to make it last a week and then you never have to see them again. Some snowheads are skiing together several weeks a year!

I think also that @admin is a very present face at the bashes. He's not some TO hiding in an office in the UK and representing himself with underpaid young chalet slaves to deal with the day to day crap. He's very much there, in sight every night, and will talk to anyone - both socially, but also about any concerns they've got. I think to begin with some people almost find it strange that this illusive 'admin' figure is actually a real person and does actually spend a lot of days on the mountain skiing with the snowheads and drinking with you in the bar. So I'm confident that if anyone was making you feel uncomfortable, you'd be in safe hands to have a word with him and he'd put a politely worded stop to it. He's actually quite a good democrat I think (and wouldn't actually deliberately home anyone next to the septic tank) Madeye-Smiley and fair to say that other snowheads are such a good little community, that even if you didn't talk to admin about it, there's a good chance that somebody else would either grass them up for you or talk to them themselves!

I think on the whole, booking a ski holiday on an internet forum and sending money to an anonymous bloke takes a certain type of person. I think all of us who found this forum of our own accord have had a less than perfect night's sleep the night before, slightly concerned with vague images of turning up at Geneva airport complete with luggage and skis, only to find that you've been the victim of an elaborate internet fraud. So what you get when you turn up to a bash is a bunch of people who were excited enough by the prospect of a snowheads bash, that they sent £500 of their hard earned cash to a random bloke on the internet, in exchange for the promise of some good times. Obviously the prices are good, but I think what stops snowheads being full of early-20s thrillseekers looking for a hedonistic week of dirty pints and skiing backwards is the fact that it's just a bit too much of a real-life community of real people, not an anonymous ski chalet where you can spend £1000 to turn up, eat all you like and behave like an idiot.

So is it full of weirdos? Absolutely yes. But the only real problem with this is that it will make you realise that you're actually a massive weirdo too.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 25-12-17 18:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, turn and turn about . . . just how much of a weirdo are you Puzzled

Take a punt on the eosb, good value and the biggest. It puts us in shared appartments and with the option of a private room if you wish. If you like your nights quite with a mug of hot chocolate and a book the dadmin hamster has the experience to group you with like minds . . . on the other hand, there are also the party people . . . and some can REALLY PARTY (and most of them in their 50s).

But most of us fall into the middle ground of 'in our own beds before midnight, rasping away the dry mountain air and happy in the company of new friends to slide with'

the eosb is essentially an invite to a huge extended family. snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-12-17 18:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman,
We've never met but I now really want to ski with you for some reason.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
I think all of us who found this forum of our own accord have had a less than perfect night's sleep the night before, slightly concerned with vague images of turning up at Geneva airport complete with luggage and skis, only to find that you've been the victim of an elaborate internet fraud.

Too right - my tickets say Venice on them Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Never had any doubts about the legitimacy of it meself.
ski holidays
@HossDoc, Knowing you both, you’d get on well. Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, best bash ever!

...unless you the poor chap who turned himself inside out through his back bottom.

I bounced back on Day 3
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, don’t the last two count as the same person? Toofy Grin
snow report
I agree @Masque, EOSB was my first, and I'm glad. The apartment vibe is great and makes a great way to meet a lot of new people in comfortable settings. I think Birthday Bash is also quite inclusive though and makes a closely fought alternative.
snow report
@ElizabethLizzyLiz,
The Bashes are pretty much self-regulating - inappropriate behaviour (of whatever kind) is poorly tolerated.
Should you commit to a Bash then you will become addicted to the camaraderie & bonhomie associated with them.

Go on, do it...
latest report
You know what they say, “if there’s no nutter on the bus it’s you”.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy