Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CHAMPAGNY EN VANOISE

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help? Does anyone know about this village, I can find very little information about it and want to know how easy it is to ski the La Plagne ski area form here. Any information from someone who's been would be helpful!
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Netballdi, Champagny is linked into La Plagne Paradiski by a fast bubble and then a choice of chair lifts.
Thanks to man made snow it is always possible to ski back down as well as getting the bubble back to Champagny during the season
Unofficial website for La pLagne
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/index_ENG.html
Official site
http://www.champagny.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Netballdi, we stayed there in 2003/4 season for New Year. Fast access into the skiing, and easy if you have a car to do a day trip to Courchevel. We stayed at the Hotel Ancolie.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that I will look at those links!
Cannot understand why we have been quoted much cheaper prices to stay there than La Plagne??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Netballdi, I guess because there is no ski in ski out accom in Champagny because you have to use the bubble to get to the slopes Very Happy
and I guess you have to walk to the lift as well.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-06-09 12:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Netballdi, that was one of the reasons we chose it, as the price was so reasonable. Food was excellent in the hotel too Why is it cheaper? It is at lower altitude than the main ski station, but access into Plagne Centre is easy, although there were queues in the morning for the gondola (avois ski school meeting time and you will be fine) . We couldn't ski down as it happened, but the gondola took us down the last section. It is a great place for a family trip, but if you want wild apres it isn't the place for you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, The lift company has put in snow making all the way down season before last I think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again for that, what little I have read does seem to suggest that it is now possible to ski down temperates allowing. We are not after wild night life, too tired after skiing all day trying to keep up with several teenage boys!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Netballdi, Ancolie has some family rooms with beds for kids in the eaves at good prices.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I should add that they will have to crawl into bed, but at least they have their own space to crash.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
does seem to suggest that it is now possible to ski down temperates allowing.

Quite true - I was there over easter this year, and the run down to Champagny was finally closed (physically Razz ) on the 14th or 15th April!! (Can't quite remember which).

It's a neat little satellite to La Plagne, with good access to Courchie and we drove to Val this year in 1 1/4 hrs so plenty of opportunities for visiting other resorts if you've got a car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have spent six holidays there stayed in club alpina situated right next to the lift this is a super resort and would have bought somewhere there if there had been property available Has all the attributes of a village with good access into the la plagne area return home mont de la geurre is super especially after snow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Champagny is a lovely place and unlike some satellite villages of big areas, it does allow you to get quickly into the main system, and importantly quickly back - so you can be skiing the Bellecote glacier up to around 1500 but still get back home comfortably. This season in Pralognan we have used Champgany a lot and as others have said, the run home was open at Christmas and Easter - its amazing what they can keep open. But its a narrow tricky and often rocky one so youre often better off getting the gondola home.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did a week there in January. Agree with previous posters, but don't tell everyone or it will get too crowded! Left my car in the free covered car park next to the gondola with skiis and boots in and walked the 10 minutes every morning from my apartment in walking boots, much easier than carrying skiis etc. I believe there are lockers at the top of the gondola. An easy drive from Geneva and quiet low so you don't have to wind your way up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plake,
Quote:
so you can be skiing the Bellecote glacier up to around 1500 but still get back home comfortably

....or even ski down to "Le Haut" from the glacier and get the bus back to Champagny Laughing
latest report
welshskier,
Quote:

I believe there are lockers at the top of the gondola.

There are indeed full length ski lockers as well! Plus an indoor picnic room if the weather is't good for picnicking outside Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

....or even ski down to "Le Haut" from the glacier and get the bus back to Champagny

...or as we did at easter, ski down towards Le haut, run out of snow about a mile above, and walk for about 2hrs through the forest back to Champagny Embarassed
snow report
News on 'improvements' to Champagny snow front on Romain Guigons excellent website
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm
snow report
I think the reason accommodation prices are cheap in Champagny is because it does not have any of the major tour operators or larger property companies such as P&V or Maeva promoting it. Most of the accommodation (mainly chalets and small apartment blocks) has been built by small local companies and is privately owned. Therefore they cater mainly for the French who will not usually pay through the nose for holidays. I also think they like to keep it quiet. A relatively large complex has been built on the edge of the village recently by MGM who offer high quality accommodation but that seems to be aimed at the French market.
We started skiing there 12 years ago and managed to buy an apartment 7 years ago as we were so impressed by it. We only know of 7 or 8 British owners in the village and only a few of those rent out. It is an ideal resort for families and couples after a large ski area with plenty of restaurants and a few bars to visit in the evening. It is not a party town but has a few small bars and a discoteque. It has easy access to the La Plagne and Paradiski area as well as being only 20 minutes drive from Courchevel and the 3 valleys.
Because it is south facing the runs to resort used to only be open from early January to the end of February. However, they have invested heavily in snowmaking on the lower slopes and last season it was possible to ski down to the resort from December to early April
If anyone is after accommodation in Champagny we have a 3 bedroom apartment and studio available for rent and can help find other privately owned accommodation in the village. We can also help with travel arrangements and are good at finding the best deals on flights and car hire. We still haven't manged to find a cheap transfer service from the airports so if anybody know one please let me know.
latest report
skichampcouk, Welcome to snowHeads. Do you have a website?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I've asked him to put it in his signature.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, ifirc http://www.skichamp.co.uk/
snow report
skichampcouk we have rented a place in Champagny for this coming winter season so will be out for a few trips. Really looking forward to it Very Happy

Would be great to meet up, perhaps I could buy you a beer in exchange for some local advice!
ski holidays
Roger C, I am out there most weeks in winter if I find a good excuse to get out there. Let me know when you are first there and where you are staying and I will get in touch.

Boredsurfing, Thanks for the link, I am still trying to find how to alter my profile to add/ change my signature, location etc.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
skichampcouk, Welcome to snowHeads. Do you have a website?
Well I thought it was funny rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Can I feel your leg Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, no, I would rather you pulled it Toofy Grin
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk wrote:
Roger C, I am out there most weeks in winter if I find a good excuse to get out there. Let me know when you are first there and where you are staying and I will get in touch.

Hi skichampcouk are you in Champagny for the opening weekend? We're driving down after work on Friday 11th ready to hit the slopes on the 12th Very Happy
ski holidays
Roger C, Yes, I will be there. I have a few jobs to do out there that weekend to get the apartment and studio ready for the season. I will PM you my mobile number so we can meet up.
ski holidays
After driving down though the night we arrived in Champagny at 5am then hit the slopes at about 11am after some mucn needed shut eye.

All the La Plagne area was very quiet and despite reports of a lack of snow the pistes were in great condition. Even better was that it started snowing at about midday and carried on all day until about 6pm. Champagny was even white when we arrived back down at 4.30 Smile

Just had a very nice dinner at Edelweiss about 50 yards from our chalet in Les Rochers, off to bed soon so that we are bright and breezy in the morning

skichampcouk thanks for your message that I got on arriving back to the resort. Hope you got my txt, maybe catch up tomorrow depending on when we get back from the 3Vs.
ski holidays
Got back home in the wee small hours after a quick drive back, 12hrs door to door so pretty pleased with that Very Happy

Yesterday we again skied the Champagny and La Plagne slopes.

The slopes were very quite and the on piste is still in great condition. It seems as though the lift company have made a real effort with the grooming and piste prep for this year, let's hope they keep up the high standard!
snow report
Roger C,
Hi Roger,

I've only just got back from Champagny today. I only received your text at 7:36 this morning as I was driving through Annecy. The 2 meesages I sent to you on Saturday were shown as being delivered at the same time today, they must have got lost in the pre Christmas rush. I will PM you when I am due out again and arrange to meet in advance rather than relying on the (obviously dodgy) mobile network.

I also had a good weekends skiing, Sunday and Monday were beautiful days for skiing and the pistes were very quiet with good snow conditions for so early in the season. Hope to see you out there soon.
snow report
Hi skichampcouk, yes the mobile network is obviously not great around there!

I'm back out from 28/12 to 7/1 so hope we can catch up then
latest report
Hi Roger C, I will be there on the afternoon of 6/1 so will arrange to meet up then. We were due to be there yesterday but our flight from Manchester was cancelled due to at least 1 inch of snow bringing everything to a halt. Hopefully, we are flying from East Midlands tomorrow morning but are due to fly back on the 27/12.

Hope your Christmas break is more sucessful than mine.
snow report
Hi skichampcouk, hope the flight tomorrow runs as planned for you. Please post an update on snow conditions once you are there.

I'm hoping the travel chaos is well over by the time we leave next Monday afternoon!

Hope to see you early Jan........
ski holidays
Just a quick note to see if anyone has any up to date information on snow conditions in Champagny/La Plagne? We're off to Champagny in 17 days, staying in the Club Alpina, and, while the webcams and snow reports seem to be looking good, nothing beats on-the-ground info!

Thanks!
ski holidays
Just back in the chalet after a fantastic days skiing around Champagny and La Plange (thanks to Offpisteskiing). Although there was significant rain yesterday at about 2100m and below it was snowing today from about 1900m and upwards, really heavy from about 10.30 to 3.30 and most of the pistes were covered in at least 10cms of fresh powder.

Visibility was limited to say the least but when it lifted we had some great fun powder turns both on an off piste.

We skied back down to Champagny but the run has a fair few stones/puddles/bare patches so more snow needed low down for sure but otherwise conditions are not bad at all considering the high temperatures of the last few days.

I'll try and post an update again before we leave on the 9th Very Happy
snow report
Hey Roger,
You never mentioned it was your birthday, so... Happy Birthday!!
ski holidays
Thanks Simon!

The aching legs after today's skiing are a very nice present wink

Thanks again for making the most of the day in difficult conditions, we all had a really good time
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy