Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best resort to buy £3m chalet

Poster: A snowHead
No its not for me!!
A friend has a client who has tasked him to search for a chalet with budget of £2/3million that he can buy and use/rent out

The client has recently been to The Chedi??? hotel in Andermatt and enjoyed that.

Any suggestions for where to buy?

I think relative proximity to GVA or other airport is important as well as ski in/out and great shops/restaurants

any thoughts
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tell your friend that for a fee I am happy to help source the perfect chalet for his client. It will probably take a full season though to ensure it's exactly right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'll pass that on...thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if they're looking for "rustic charm" then pm Jude1. She has a short list of suitable properties, and would no doubt be happy to search for alternative properties to match the clients requirements ( unless they actually wanted something with a roof and without 4 legged inhabitants (I jest) )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ZombieSi, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I keep getting invited to the Gherkin in London to sales pitches from

https://www.investorsinproperty.com

This is purely on the basis of a one off speculative property which had 15 baths in Tignes les Breviers for which I wanted to know what size the hot water tank was. It was only 500,000 Euros to 1 Million at the time but I suspect there must have been a leak in the dam or something as it seemed a bit cheap.

They send me updates every now and then of properties which come on the market, but none seem to have the attraction (probably due to price) of that one.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 21-12-17 20:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With privacy being a major factor for the mega rich she also has another list of properties only accessible by heli or cat track rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.investorsinproperty.com/france/val-disere-and-tignes/tignes-le-lac-phoenix

This was the latest property update but a 4 person flat in Tignes le lac does not compare to what was available in Tignes les Breviers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you'll not get much a big place in Val / Tignes for 3 mill. Maybe down in Brev, but it's absolutely stupid money. I keep looking in case of a lottery win.

Whistler is possibly even more bonkers. But they still keep building em, so someone knows what they are doing, clearly isn't me!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamonix. I'm going to stay in one such property in February. Not exactly my normal kind of billet. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would have thought that for that price it'd be easier to find something in a less well known resort or something that could then have some value added to it - a "fixer upper". It's not exactly a budget for one of the more chic resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it was me, I'd have something built. A lot of even pricey chalets are unoriginal - nothing special, just more rooms with more pine cladding and fussy 'Alpiney' bits everywhere. For that sort of money you could commission something unique in a satellite. I'd also choose somewhere central in the Alps where I could keep the RR Dawn for summer excursions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's such a variation in feel from one location to another, so difficult to place something with any defined relevance.

But from GVA, Champery, Les Gets, Morzine for Pds.

Les Houches for ski in out and Chamonix region ( yes I know it's not Cham central before someone adds that) but has attraction that only the client can decide if ok. I know someone that owns a chalet there and was discouraged from even looking at it, but they couldn't be happier.

Not ski in/ out generally, but valley du giffre for Samoens (some properties on road up to 1600 are dependent on snow supply) but also Verchaix which is on the sunny side of valley, close to skiing, discreet and superb in summer if that's a consideration. It's a beautiful valley out of ski season.

Slightly further from GVA, Val D Anniviers for a very traditional village feel in unspoilt valley. Zinal and Grimentz at far end of valley. Good summer for lift served paragliding as I understand it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot to add, Praz D Lys for smaller overall independent ski area.

Most of the residences are ski in/out here, has a really nice feel to it plus some very good places to eat.

Easily drivable to both GM and PDS ski areas if conditions or days out for variety of domain are needed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Verbier, Switzerland.
Courchevel 1850, France.

Do not buy below 1500m. Global warming will kill your investment.
snow conditions
For 3 mil you could buy any of the scottish ski 'resorts' and have it for yourself. Laughing
snow report
£3m iscnot much of a budget.

Recently one went in Kitzbuhel for €25M
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
https://www.investorsinproperty.com/france/val-disere-and-tignes/tignes-le-lac-phoenix

This was the latest property update but a 4 person flat in Tignes le lac does not compare to what was available in Tignes les Breviers.

Are those the ones overlooking the lake at the Rosset lift? Cant argue with the location if so.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Verbier, Switzerland.
Courchevel 1850, France.

Do not buy below 1500m. Global warming will kill your investment.

You’re not getting a chalet in either one of those 2 for £3m.

https://www.investorsinproperty.com/resorts/switzerland/verbier
ski holidays
mcspreader wrote:
For 3 mil you could buy any of the scottish ski 'resorts' and have it for yourself. Laughing

That might be the valuation price, but it does not necessarily follow that it is the sale price to you. There are restrictions for non-residents, and the purchase of the land in Scotland does not make the land exclusive to you. (people can go climbing and other non mechanised recreation all over the land willy nilly under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003)

So you would not have it for yourself, and you would be restricted to planning regulations on how many new lifts you could build. You would not be allowed to upgrade the lifts by planning regulations, and wind farms would be built next to your lifts.

I can't see there is money in it, and you would probably find the locals would want to take over the management of the company. Community buy outs would occur with a minimum of 10,000 residents to block any expansion of ski resorts to cross multiple corbetts on a trail.

NehNeh

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 23-12-17 23:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
How about Courchevel https://www.investorsinproperty.com/france/courchevel/courchevel-1650-canyon-lodge
snow report
I would be buying in Le Fornet with that sort of budget.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:

And of course, those properties have the added bonus of a really loud Bar handily placed just across the road!
ski holidays
£2-3m is a sizeable amount of money even though it doesn't go that far in many places. Personally, I'd go for a good chalet in a great location - especially if you want to rent it out. Ski in - ski out in the best resort you can afford and it would have to be in a large ski area to reduce the risk of getting bored after a few seasons. I'd also go for a resort where I had the greatest chance of being surrounded by people I like. Whether that means local French, Russian oligarchs or English millionaires is up to the OPs friend.
ski holidays
The issue with be finding/buying the Land, when we last seriously looked at it depending on fixtures & fittings etc you can build a good reasonably sized reasonably fitted chalet for sub £2m, it could be done for a lot less if you were to be cautious with the quality of things!
snow conditions
id only consider high altitude resorts with slopes facing all directions, id want the chance to ski from November till may
snow conditions
I'd focus on France, easy access to GVA important. Three Valleys would be ideal, but you'll need to be eagle-eyed. I used to research and write about luxury homes, and I found a few chalets in Meribel in the 3 million euro range. They are out there. Tough right now because it's a sellers' market.

This guy has a good selection, including in your clients' range https://www.freespiritalpine.com/

Since renting out is a requirement, and you'd be offering an entire home, I really think your clients need to focus on the luxury areas. They'll need to crunch some numbers and first come up with a rent target. 5k per week? 10k per week? There are plenty of people who will happily pay that, just need to find out where they are.
latest report
£3 million is not going to cut it Lech. There is a nice new build chalet going for a little over €10 million net, a rare opportunity for an outsider to buy here. For your budget there is a lot of building going on over the hill in Wrath which is on the up with the new lift link.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pasigal wrote:
I'd focus on France, easy access to GVA important. Three Valleys would be ideal, but you'll need to be eagle-eyed. I used to research and write about luxury homes, and I found a few chalets in Meribel in the 3 million euro range. They are out there. Tough right now because it's a sellers' market.

This guy has a good selection, including in your clients' range https://www.freespiritalpine.com/

Since renting out is a requirement, and you'd be offering an entire home, I really think your clients need to focus on the luxury areas. They'll need to crunch some numbers and first come up with a rent target. 5k per week? 10k per week? There are plenty of people who will happily pay that, just need to find out where they are.

So a £3m chalet rents out optimistically for 4 months/18 weeks of Winter season Xmas-Easter (and maybe a few odd weeks in Summer) for an average of £5k a week, yielding say £90k before taxes/fees/utilities/maintenance. They're chasing less than 3% yield. How do these capital valuations stack up?? It's a speculative bubble surely!! Puzzled
ski holidays
@Lechbob, you are missing a 't'. For £3m you could buy a very nice estate at The Lecht.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
Pasigal wrote:

So a £3m chalet rents out optimistically for 4 months/18 weeks of Winter season Xmas-Easter (and maybe a few odd weeks in Summer) for an average of £5k a week, yielding say £90k before taxes/fees/utilities/maintenance. They're chasing less than 3% yield. How do these capital valuations stack up?? It's a speculative bubble surely!! Puzzled

Not so, I was once offered a job in a chalet that cost £100,000 a week to rent. I turned it down because it takes a special kind of person to work for those kinds of people.
snow conditions
Stick with established money & go Megeve
latest report
it may not be much of an investment in an established resort.
Surely best to gamble & find an up & coming area & buy there.
Not so much for the rental yield, but for the property value increase.
snow report
Most suggestions seem to be France. Have you thought about Austria? Zell am See might be a good choice, with the link to Saalbach coming soon. Also, genuine year round letting/holiday potential with the lake, which should make the return numbers look better. £3m will go further as well.
ski holidays
If I were buying in Europe I would look at Val Thorens. It's not pretty and still a bit Benidorm on Snow, but there have been several luxury hotels built in the past few years as money chases the rising snow line. I think eventually the lack of snow in many resorts will push VT upmarket as people bid up the snow that's left.

While there's still snow in the main season you've got the 3 valleys, but when the snow goes lower down there's still skiing in VT.

I don't know if 3m would buy a chalet but definitely a large luxury apartment.

3 hrs road transfer from Geneva, but there is a heliport so helicopter transfer is possible. (My spell check keeps making heliport into teleport...that would be the best transfer ever!)
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Verbier, Switzerland.

£3m may get you a delap shed in Verbier. wink
Mike Ashley's gaff is allegedly worth north of £50m. Can't imagine that he's much of a skier. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:

Mike Ashley's gaff is allegedly worth north of £50m. Can't imagine that he's much of a skier. rolling eyes

Bet he's got a nice shell suit for Apres though snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Bet he's got a nice shell suit for Apres though snowHead snowHead

Yep. Bustin' out some moves in Farinet with his BFF Wills. wink
latest report
For a heavenly night's sleep, you might consider: http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/popes-italian-mountain-retreat-for-sale/news-story/fac6587bd069d95ab73ff0cfefaad2a0
snow report
I’d look at Chamonix, val Thoron or st Martin de Belleville in France. Possibly Tignes http://www.alpinepropertyinvestments.co.uk/properties/001915/ or this apartment in val d’sere for me http://www.alpinepropertyinvestments.co.uk/properties/002060/ love this game.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy