Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dinner!

Poster: A snowHead
It's hard to know where to start with this, so I will just say

"I had lasagne at the restaurant up on Bellevarde, it cost 15.50euros, and it was the worst food I have ever paid for."

It was less than bad. And this in a country that prides itself on it's cuisine, and makes jokes about ours.

Our best dinners were when we made sandwiches and ate in the lounge at the top of the solaise lift, and bought as good hot chocolate and tea to go with it. Hope more French resorts embrace the lounge concept.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yebbut Lasagne aint French cuisine wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last year I came to the conclusion that the basic solution to this problem is to ski in Italy.

Every meal I had in Italy was both better and cheaper than the equivalent would have cost in any French resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know what it is about *some * French ski resorts, but they really do produce some filthy and expensive food. Luckily this is not the case in the whole of France, or even everywhere in those resorts. Generally there is good food, at a reasonable price, to be found somewhere, if you ask around/look for it. Even in Tignes, which you would expect to be the home of burgers and chips for undiscerning British punters, I had some delicious and inexpensive food the other week.

But, overall, I agree that mountain top food is better and cheaper in Italy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a lottery wherever you go, by far the worst hotel food was in Italy but Cheaper French restaurants not just in ski resorts, can be truly rotten, I think they spend too much time making fancy stuff and forget the basics.
Because "British" food has had a reputation of being bland, we have embraced food from around the world, I think the UK is one of the best places to eat out both for quality and value.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Every meal I had in Italy was both better and cheaper than the equivalent would have cost in any French resort.

+1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last season there were only 2 reasons to go to the Bellvarde Restaurant but in fear of the PC brigade I shan't say what they were!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The self-service restaurant at the top of the Pleney gondola in Morzine has never failed to underwhelm me with their ability to make an over-priced and almost inedible omelette and chips.

If you want good food at a reasonable price on a mountain go to either Italy or Austria. If you want high prices and people telling you how good their barely edible food is, go to France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mjit,
Quote:

The self-service restaurant at the top of the Pleney gondola in Morzine has never failed to underwhelm me with their ability to make an over-priced and almost inedible omelette and chips.

So why do you keep going there?
Quote:

If you want high prices and people telling you how good their barely edible food is, go to France.

An unjustified generalisation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

An unjustified generalisation.

+1.

I've had rather underwhelming food in Italy too. Some damn good stuff, but I could also say that about France.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

I've had rather underwhelming food in Italy too. Some damn good stuff, but I could also say that about France.

And indeed England.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, absolutely.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had all sorts:
overpriced school dinners
overpriced excellent food
excellent value good food
bargain school dinners
in most countries (but not Italy).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We ate an evening meal in the Alba in St Jean recently.
I think it is owned by the same people who have the Alba in Les Gets.
The food was very good quality, and beautifully presented.
The service was friendly and attentive, and it was about EUR40 for 3 courses with wine and apero and a small tip.
There were 2 small opportunities for improvement :
-I think I have gotten used to Etale-sized portions, and after a hard day's boarding I could have done with slightly bigger portions.
-The only dessert wine was a funky port-like red wine ( which would have been nice after dessert). The simple addition of a classic like Sauternes, Muscat de Beaumes de Venise etc.. would be great.
I would eat there again, but have a snack first when I got off the slopes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had one of the best meals up a hut in France by the Cascades lift. Huge slice of homemade quiche with as much cheese and salad from a buffet table as you wanted and a large glass of vin chaud all for 10 euros. Only trouble is I cant remember if it was Val Thorens or Val d'Isere rolling eyes Would definitely return if I could find it!
latest report
Quote:

Even in Tignes, which you would expect to be the home of burgers and chips for undiscerning British punters, I had some delicious and inexpensive food the other week.

I cannot remember the name of the place on the road facing the car park in Val Claret but my son took me there one day saying they were the best burgers he had ever had. He was right.

The worse food I ever had while skiing was in Austria - a curry wurst, which was much worse than any of the other food I have had there.

The odd thing about the EU was that generally the British were thought to provide the best food for meeting, banquets etc.

Generalising something as variable as food is not a sensible thing to do.
latest report
We find the best value and indeed best food is from the smaller Ski huts, often means sitting outside (as there is no inside) but have had some tasty filling snacks.
snow report
If you want good food, ask someone knowledgeable for a recommendation.

This applies to any country and any situation, e.g. if you want a piste restaurant, ask on SHs. It's hardly difficult.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, I think you are too fussy wink
snow report
@snoozeboy, +1
snow report
I've been to le Palet in Tignes twice, and never again, but some others e.g. Le Soli, are really very good. Some of the very best food we have eaten on the hill has been in France.
snow conditions
Bel Air in Courcheval always good when I visit and not extortionate. Arrive at 11.45 or book. Good for celeb spotting

Chalet de Caron in Val T also excellent and less expensive.
ski holidays
Quote:

I had one of the best meals up a hut in France by the Cascades lift. Huge slice of homemade quiche with as much cheese and salad from a buffet table as you wanted and a large glass of vin chaud all for 10 euros. Only trouble is I cant remember if it was Val Thorens or Val d'Isere

Was probably the Cascades restaurant next to the eponymous lift - Val d'Isere. Went there on the recent bash. Good food at great prices - never saw such an enormous bowl of Parmesan. Perfectly drinkable red wine at 5.50 for half a litre.

My top rip off - also in France - was an onion soup in Val Thorens which cost nearly 8 euros - which worked out at about 1 euro per bit of onion. And that was at least 7 years ago.

Wild generalisations on the basis of such experiences are daft....
ski holidays
I am pretty sure this was close to the top of the solaise lift in Espace Killy

I did not often eat in restaurants for many reasons

1. expense
2. the pistes are empty at lunchtime and the mountain huts crowded
3. better diet selection if you DIY

Sometimes, though I would eat out. On this occassion, the food was all locally produced wine, cheese, and bread at rock bottem prices. It must have been farm surplus goods or something, but my wallet remained heavy afterwards. Now the wine was not the best, and the cheese was perhaps a rather large portion compared to my current portion size of cheese (I try to have less than 30g in one day due to the high saturated fat levels)

On balance though, at 5 euros for the lot, it was a bargain. That was some time ago though....
ski holidays
Quote:

Wild generalisations on the basis of such experiences are daft....

Agreed.
That said, as a generalisation sitting down for a meal in an Italian mountain restaurant is much more of a "sure thing" than in a French equivalent. I want to say that the range of quality in France seems wider and skewed to the downside but I'm conscious that I've skied (much) more in France which will explain the range if not the skew!
latest report
On the other hand, my beans, bread and sausages from a tin in the van

was way cheaper than 5 euros, with the sparking champagne included! (albeit in a plastic cup)

I shudder to think how much salt is on that plate now, it did not bother me at the time.
latest report
I almost feel left out that I haven't had overpriced bad food in France... We've found some lovely spots in the Three Valleys, all pretty reasonable. The tartiflette at the Folie Douce is one of our favourite dishes although, to be fair, the beer isn't cheap. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...
snow report
Yes, @jedster, if I had to eat and drink in only one of the alpine countries it would be Italy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I forgot to mention andouillette. It was on the specials board in a perfectly nice restaurant in Les Arcs. The waitress did warn me but I thought I must give it a go. It was not a pleasant experience
ski holidays
@johnE, spoo spoo
snow report
@johnE, my OH insisted on doing the same one time - I did warn him - and he did insist he liked any sort of sausage, but it defeated him...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Even in Tignes, which you would expect to be the home of burgers and chips for undiscerning British punters, I had some delicious and inexpensive food the other week.

I cannot remember the name of the place on the road facing the car park in Val Claret but my son took me there one day saying they were the best burgers he had ever had. He was right.

The worse food I ever had while skiing was in Austria - a curry wurst, which was much worse than any of the other food I have had there.

The odd thing about the EU was that generally the British were thought to provide the best food for meeting, banquets etc.

Generalising something as variable as food is not a sensible thing to do.

That's the 'Aspen' in Tignes
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@johnE, my OH insisted on doing the same one time - I did warn him - and he did insist he liked any sort of sausage, but it defeated him...... rolling eyes

I have eaten dinner with a snowHead who tucked heartily into a plate of andouilette.
snow conditions
The Aspen does do pretty good burgers.
Have had better though. One place in Aviemore, and one in Morzine (both in summer though). Although the latter loses points for serving on a flippin' roofing slate Evil or Very Mad

Calling currywurst "food" is like calling the standard british post-getting-5hitfaced kebab "food" (German/Dutch etc. kebabs however are food and can be a proper meal). I've never had a good currywurst anywhere.
snow report
I have to join those who can't stand andouillette. I tried it once - it smelled like shite and it tasted very much like what I imagine shite would taste like.. spoo
latest report
Quote:

The worse food I ever had while skiing was in Austria - a curry wurst, which was much worse than any of the other food I have had there

I saw - but had absolutely no intention of eating - some of those in the Dolomites. Not all food served in Italy is manna from heaven.....
ski holidays
@pam w, those suspicious looking dumplings weren't too appealing either. I'm not a massive fan of stodge.
latest report
We live in Briancon and the food overall is pretty poor........
Born out by our French neighbour who agrees, I know it's a bit touristy here, so they cater for that, but generally we find the best restaurants are the Italian pizza place and the Club restaurant's burgers, shocking really for a country who reckon their food is the best in the world!
That said, we recently had a great meal in a fairly remote (but only 5 mins from town) village here which is highly acclaimed and rightly so, awkward to get to for most, but worth the drive, by far the best we've had since arriving in France a couple of years ago Very Happy
snow report
We don't tend to eat much at lunch having been ski in ski out for the last few years so eaten back at the apartment. However I'm drooling thinking of the Croque Madame at L'Igloo in Morillon a few years ago. Now that was a sandwich!
ski holidays
@KenX, we've found the restaurants in the old town far better than the bottom end although I couldn't comment on Le Club as I don't really eat burgers much, and we don't eat in Briancon much in winter. And the Peche Gourmand has a Michelin star. They used to pride themselves on not catering for the tourists, but not sure if that is still the same.
There's certainly decent food in Monetier if you want it. La Fruiteire and La Brasera were excellent in the summer, and the lunch menu at Aquisana was lovely. Caribou too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy