Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Following the 'best Alpine cheese thread'...the 'best Alpine bread' thread

Poster: A snowHead
Last year, a new French bakery opened up in Cambridge - Maison Clement - and the bread is really excellent. But while it reminds me of the amazing bread in Taillens in Montana, it's this Taillens Alpine bread which I crave when I wake up. There's a wonderful loaf called a 'paillasse' (mattress) which is a sort of ciabata. Salty, crusty, chewy yet light. Truly excellent. It's the one on the left in this photo:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g198810-d4104955-i70904526-Boulangerie_Taillens-Crans_Montana_Canton_of_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html

.....Mmmmmmm......with some Gruyere, or Bon Maman Cerises Griottes jam....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-03-18 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @valais2,
where is it in Cambridge?
I just love French Bread, just how do I get it home while its still fresh?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see its up hills road, maybe tomorrow evening supper will be Le Vin, Le Paine and perhaps a bit of Roblachon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, yep that's it .... about 200m up Hills Road (i.e. towards the Station) from the Catholic Church at the Gonville Place junction. On the right walking towards the station.

And that sounds excellent....wine, bread and Alpine cheese....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DrLawn wrote:

I just love French Bread, just how do I get it home while its still fresh?

The best tip I got from the French baker who taught me how to make French baguettes, is to buy French flour, type 65 This led to mcspreader thinking I'm barmy when I loaded up on the stuff when he drove me to the supermarket after last year's EoSB! And if you can't make bread, I'll teach you. It's really very easy. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One of my earliest childhood memories is sitting on a bench, with an amazing summer mountain view, in Vermala (a tiny village, quite separate from Montana, which itself was quite separate from Crans) eating the blackest but sweetest of rye breads, with unsalted butter and morello cherry jam on it, washed down with Schloer. I'm drooling at the memory.

It's amazing how much more interesting French bread has become in the last 25 years or so. I remember the thrill of actually being able to buy wholemeal bread in a lot of places and not just variations on the baguette.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think French bread has gone sadly downhill the last 20 years. Most of the bakeries seem to use frozen or part cooked dough, producing similar rubbish to what you get at a petrol station.

The good bakeries with the traditional methods still exist, but they are few and far between. There used to be one at place Wagram in Paris, with a 50m queue every morning. I wonder if it's still there, but I doubt it. People can't tell (or won't pay, or won't queue for) the difference these days and there lies the problem. Maybe it's also the lack of convenience in that the perfection only lasted a couple of hours before it went stale.

The Pain Paillase in the OP is pretty good. It's a registered trademark and you can get it here at many places in Lausanne at bakeries that I guess have bought into the licence. It's still a pale relation the French baguettes of the good old days.

Maybe I should start a thread "the best nostalgic, cantankerous old gits", but I think there's already a brexit thread. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What are paine and roblachon? Or does someone need a better typing accent?

@snoozeboy, I have a vague recollection that the authorities introduced official categorie for breadmakng, one of which denotes made from fresh ingredients in the traditional manner. Here we go, “http://www.federation-boulangerie-37.com/page-3-comment_identifier_un_artisan_boulanger.html” either “pain maison” or calling yourself a “boulanger” means no frozen elements to th process.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, ...ah Pain Seigle...au Pain Noir. super quand on le mange avec un petit peu de beurre!

Or

Jolly nice with a bit of butter....

And the road to Vermala has changed a lot ... the small house with a beautiful meadow in front of it is now a small house overshadowed by a HUGE apartment block - and I mean HUGE, which is seldom occupied. But the top bit is still nice....

http://youtube.com/v/Qt96JFWfSyM

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 23-03-18 9:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://bachstubn.at/ Fabulous bakery 200m from our stay in Flachau. It's not just the French that make terrific bread. Their seeded buns were particularly delicious.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snoozeboy wrote:
I think French bread has gone sadly downhill the last 20 years. Most of the bakeries seem to use frozen or part cooked dough, producing similar rubbish to what you get at a petrol station.

I completely agree it's easier to get good French style bread in London than in most French villages now. Even the supermarket baguettes are worse, I can buy better in Waitrose and Sainsbury's than the equivalent in French supermarkets which taste like the dross we use to get in the 80's.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@betterinblack, agreed, I would never buy bread in a supermarket in France.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, +1 for Paillasse, the best bread.....local butter and homemade Valais apricot jam Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Swissie, ....well what do you know...reason I posted this was that for breakfast in Cambridge I opened a jar of Apricot compote which was made last summer in the Valais with fruit from the roadside stalls (10kg box of the damaged and bruised ‘jam making apricots’) and put it on the local bread here, and thought, ‘....hmm...it’s nice...but I miss the paillasse....’.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
https://bachstubn.at/ Fabulous bakery 200m from our stay in Flachau. It's not just the French that make terrific bread. Their seeded buns were particularly delicious.
lovely ice cream in the summer too.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can buy better in Waitrose and Sainsbury's

Blimey, it must be bad.
ski holidays
Hi @valais2 I made it my mission to visit the Boulangerie today.
I set off on a Ofr bike across town and got myself a small Anciene (i think its called that)

I'm just enjoying it now .. with a bit of Comte and a glass of Bordeaux Very Happy
latest report
@DrLawn, excellent.... I will be having some for breakfast too...
ski holidays
You lot have NO IDEA of just how much hurt you're inflicting Crying or Very sad
snow report
Great for clogging up the arteries and body odour, awful stuff.
latest report
latest report
Blooming starving now.
snow conditions
@RWDLYN, ...although 'research shows' that a matchbox-sized piece of cheese each day actually reduces the incidence of heart disease.

http://time.com/5048478/health-benefits-eating-cheese/

mind you, when I am writing late at night, I do have a small bit of gruyere or similar - the required 40g - and I always sleep really badly after it, but fine when I don't have it...
latest report
I've just finished Sunday lunch now, and there is no way I should be hungry ...
but this thread has got me going NehNeh
snow report
Arlbergspitz - kinda Ciabatta-ey but better.

Gotta say, bread is one thing Austria and Germany do really well.
ski holidays
Grimentz has a superb local baker.
ski holidays
@Jehu, ...whereabouts?...we’ll try them...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy