Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kronplatz tomorrow from Selva - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Good Evening Snawheids,

I'm in Selva and have skied the erse aff the Sella Ronda, Arabba, Val di Fassa Ski Panorama and Alta Badia.

Has anyone made the journey from Selva to Kronplatz via the bus link from La Vila?

Is it worth it?

All the best,

Sean1967
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been on the bus but it's not far. Some great very long blacks on the north slope, Sylvester in particular, and long reds to the east.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BoardieK wrote:
I haven't been on the bus but it's not far. Some great very long blacks on the north slope, Sylvester in particular, and long reds to the east.

Cheers,

first lift from Dantercepies it is!

I think I can make the 0940 bus to Kronplatz if I ski like Jesus.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sean1967, I’ve only caught the bus once but in the opposite direction from Kronplatz to La Villa when skiing to Arabba for the Snowheads Birthday Bash. Bus seemed to be reasonably regular. It runs between the bottom of the Picolin lift at Kronplatz to near La Villa, so not the village itself but on the route across to Pedraces, just before the two way lift. It’s a bit of a trek from Selva but doable with an early start. You’d need to make sure you get the bus back in time to get back to Selva.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Presumably it will drop off at St Martino for St Vigilio (that's the Piculin). Several lifts to the top but I'm sure you will find it a lot less busy.

I think Sylvester is a downhill course, some quite easy bits for a black but fully pisted and you can just let rip, if you are brave enough, for the whole 7km

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-12-17 19:41; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The first point of access the bus gets to (afaik) is Piculin. The run back "Piculin" is one of the steepest, actually probably the steepest piste you'll find in the area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sean1967, The 0940 bus should give you some time there before having to head back. There are plenty of runs in Kronplatz to keep you amused. The Picolin black back down to the bus stop can get a bit icy but there’s always the option of a lift back down.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@admin, I think I confused the spelling of the run with the Picolax posting. They could both have the same effect on a bad day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing absolutely!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sean1967, I normally try to do a day over there when I'm in an SR resort. AS others have said some cracking long black runs which tend to be very quiet.

I get a cab but no doubt the bus works too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sean1967, I'm sure it's doable, but good luck with yer timings....... there's still a bit of skiing to be done and lifts to be caught to get back from la villa to selva after you've caught the bus back from kronplatz. Deffo not gonna be a full days skiing on the big cockerel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Kronplatz" comes from the Ladin for "Rooster Pudding" - note the shape of the hill: an upturned pudding bowl Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm, sounds like there's a whole bunch of runs I've never skied. BB 2019?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is doable. Give it a go. I'm a huge Kronplatz fan as it suits me. But it doesn't suit everyone. In my view it best suits repeat visits where you can get more out of a run when you do it a second / third time.
Bus is every 20 minutes I think.
If you want to explore for yourself, don't read on.
If you only have a part day, you will arrive at the base of Piculin. Go straight up the lift and at the top there are good Bombardinos / Calimeros in the cafe to the right (not the new one at the top but down some steps a bit further to the right).
Some of the grading is flattering but the runs are hugely enjoyable
Or go straight ahead and down Erta (black) which is the FIS Ladies Downhill course in January or turn right half way down onto red Piz de Plaies. Both these finish at the Trans Bronta lift that takes you across town to Miara.
Straight up Miara lift then Col Toron lift. Exit Col Toron turn right and keep right going under the lift along a track that brings you part way down Pra da Peres. At the bottom aim for Costa (chair).
At the top of Costa go left. Either stay as high as you can and aim for Ucia Bivacco for food / drink or go down to Ruis gondola (slightly more interesting to go right - facing downhill - on one of the Costa variants). Ruis gondola takes you to the top.
Then you can bomb down Hernegg and / or Sylwester which are the two 7.5kms blacks down to the bottom. My preference of these is Sylwester if you only have time for one.
Lots of options off the top but a lot of them feel very similar to each other.
Ried is a 10km red with some very flat bits and some very interesting bits as well but it takes time and it's a long gondola back up again.
From the top it's Furcia9 or Sonne / Furcia12 (watch for the signposts by the bridge at the bottom, near the Ruis base station) heading for Sankt Vigilio and Rara. Sonne / Furcia12 in particular can get cut up.
After the Rara chair it's Col Toron followed by Miara and back across Trans Bronta.
Back up to the top of Piculin and down to the bus.
Piculin is my favourite when in condition and the webcams look good. I love the way it sets off so nice and gentle and then you turn a corner and the view opens out and the slope drops away.
View of Piculin about a week ago
This blast end to end misses out the runs to Olang, to Marchner and a few others worth doing. Misses out many good eateries including Oberegger Alm.
Enjoy.

It's about 4 weeks until I go. I am jealous already.
View looking down Piculin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 21-12-17 23:46; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, worth doing IMO, there's plenty to ski in Kronplatz. Factor in skiing to la villa from arabba, getting a bus from La Villa to kronplatz, and then the same in reverse then there's probably 3 or 4 days skiing on new runs to be had
ski holidays
admin wrote:
"Kronplatz" comes from the Ladin for "Rooster Pudding" - note the shape of the hill: an upturned pudding bowl Toofy Grin

They're not biting, @admin Laughing
latest report
"Kronplatz" comes from the Ladin for "Bald Place" - note the shape of the hill: a 'Baldy' Head Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The bus to the bottom of the Piculin lift at San Martino does not actually leave from Villa, but a a little further along the valley at a place called Sompunt at the bottom of the Sponata red run. I think they are every half hour or so and the journey takes 20min. The Piculin black run is the steepest and best done in the morning as it it gets the sun on it later and can get slushy. The other long black runs come off the Kronplatz dome which will take a while to get to, involving the horizontal lift across San Vigilio. You won't get long there, so make sure you know the times of the return buses so you can catch the last lift to Dantercepies
snow conditions
Definitely worth a day out, all good advice on runs and buses.

We've done it the other way around, staying in San Martino and busing it the other way for a change of scene. The bus will get you back to Corvara, which might be easier to and from your base in Selva than Sompunt? I say might, on the basis that heading 'home' to Kronplatz from the bottom of Sponata is an easy option as there is a decent refugio next to the bus stop making it a pleasant wait the other way round.
latest report
Thanks,

I skied Kronplatz today, some great skiing, excellent reds and blacks.

Picolin was fantastic, as I arrived back at the bus with 20 mins to spare, I did it again. There's no ice to be found on it at the moment however there is a thaw underway.

The snow near the bottom had an all to familiar heaviness and upon my return to Selva, there's water in the streets.
snow report
@sean1967, My favourite run there was the one down to the railway line with a funky new station where the trains link in with the gondolas.

No. 16 it seems to be, looking at the map again
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@sean1967, My favourite run there was the one down to the railway line with a funky new station where the trains link in with the gondolas.

That’s “Ried”. Long long long. Over the last couple of years they have added a few variants and it is more interesting as a result.
latest report
red 27 wrote:

+1
A fabulous run.
I definitely had a case of commuters’ station envy at the end. snowHead
snow conditions
Uncle Rico wrote:
.. there is a decent refugio next to the bus stop making it a pleasant wait the other way round.

It’s small and quite cosy. I’ve spent plenty of time in there waiting for a cab after having missed the last bus Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I’d say though that it’s such a nice area, with good skiing and lovely rifugios, that you need at least two days to do it justice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy