Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Grand Massif & Marvel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Flaine for a couple of days next week (yippee!) and just looking for advice on if it's worth it to pay a bit extra for a Grand Massif pass? I'm with one child who is a fairly nervous skier, but I've done Marvel before, and he could definitely do that. However, we are staying in Flaine, so is there any way to get there by lift/ green pistes? I'm there over the bank holidays so I don't think the buses are a great option, but I think I could get to Les Carroz by bus if that helps? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @munchimo, to ski over from Flaine is blues from memory. Once you get to the top of the first lift ( Grand Vans) its a wide but relatively steep drop, although there is a track to the right which can cut this out.

Then it bears left, not so steep but can get cut up later in the day.

Coming back might be more of an issue as Tourmaline can get busy and cut up, particularly in the afternoon.

Ive not been so early in the season so cant say how busy it might be, but would suggest going over in the morning hen heading back to Flaine for the pm. Also be careful of the forecast as they may shut it in bad weather, although i think they put on busses if that's the case

Have a great trip!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You only have to get to Molliets lift by bus to get into Marvel. Think there's a bus connect to the carpark at Molliets from Flaine.

It's straight up the lift and then straight ahead to get into Morillon sector and you're right at top of Marvel in about 400 mtrs.

To get back, Sairon chair, ski to Gron chair in LC sector, from top of Gron ski back down to Molliets.

Other route is over Tete D Saix via 8pax out of Flaine. If he's nervous though, the top of Saix down to Morillon may give him the heebeegebees though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The runs that link Flaine to the Massif area, although blue, are much more challenging than Marvel. There's plenty of skiing in Flaine to occupy you for two days, in fact the best runs in the GM imv snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with the recommendation that a Flaine pass would be fine for a couple of days. Just to add to what EarthWindandWater said, coming back to Flaine on the Tourmaline piste starts well as it's (very) wide and open at the top. However as it gets closer to Flaine it gets narrower and steeper and there are at least a couple of sections that get cut up very quickly and aren't at all fun - especially if you're nervous.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Marvel. Just sit back and relax. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BonzoBear, not sure when you last went to Flaine, but they did a huge amount of work on that nasty section of Tourmaline a couple of years ago and widened it significantly so that it is much nicer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sj1608 wrote:
@BonzoBear, not sure when you last went to Flaine, but they did a huge amount of work on that nasty section of Tourmaline a couple of years ago and widened it significantly so that it is much nicer.

This summer they have done further work on Tete des Saix and Tourmaline has also been completely changed to go around the new snowmaking water pond/lake , with a much flattened lower bottle neck, lots more snow cannons. The new Courloivrier (sp?) is in the Morillon sector in the valley between Morillon and Samoens and along with the Tetes des Saix lift from Les Molliets (little impact last season as low snow year) means that along with Chariande Express (I think?) there are now 3 high speed high volume chairs delivering to Tetes des Saix so the summit has been massively remodelled - I think lowered by 100m and much more "blue" friendly.

On the way out to Marvel I think the long blue Portet to Les Molliets is what you want and then up the Les Molliets lift. On the way home try the new lift - longest chairlift in Europe apparently!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy