Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy capacity question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was sitting on a chair lift with my brother last week, and he asked how many people Val D & Tignes hold on a busy week.

I have done some googling, and got a bit of info on Val D, but not on the whole area.

So, how many people would be in the EK area, on a busy week?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I heard somewhere it is about 35000
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you kind Sir!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe about 35000 in EACH of the resorts, i.e. 70,000 total.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Philip1972, I knew I had heard that figure somewhere. If you have access to the props sites under documents (resultats etudes) there are the G2A figures of occupation, if you look at the comparison of the resorts they show that Tignes has 21198 'hot and warm beds' and Val has 14236 this season. This of course begs the question what is a hot bed, what is a warm bed and, indeed, is there such a thing as a cold bed? I suspect it doesn't include private residents and workers. This would perhaps bring the total a lot closer to the 70k that @stevomcd, mentions. However, I think I know a lady that might know.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to see the lady that knew:

Hot beds are ones available for tourists for the season, so hotels, hostels, chalets and rental apartments - so those that pay the taxe de sejour.

Warm beds are like mine - second homes that are not available to tourists that pay.

People that live here all year round are not counted. Seasonaire apts are a little complex, some of the private rents are warm, those that provide accom (like most French business) are 'cold' as these are often owned by the business.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Figures I have from a couple of years ago for the espace Killy give merchant beds as 20,000 and total beds in resort as 65,000.

I thought cold beds were ones that are never used. Unused second homes or investment properties. We have a lot of those in Montgenevre.

I have been looking at skiers per Km of piste as a way of looking at capacity and how buys resorts can get. If all beds used in Espace Killy it would give 217 skiers per Km of slope. Or 276 if you use Pistelength.com's figures. Of course the resort would never be at full capacity. Using merchant beds a the key figure we get 85 skiers per km of slope.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taking this a step further. It would be very interesting to see some sort of formula that worked out how "busy" a resort/area can get?
The inputs to the formula would start with the number of skiers per village and incorporate the lift capacity of the main lifts out of the resort centre (ie: skiers per hour that can be taken up the mountain) the formula would then consider the number of skiers per wholearea (which would be all the villages) and couple that with the average capacity of the lifts that are across the whole area.

You'd then get a probability of queue lengths at any particular lift, and the average waiting time.
This would lead you to a league table of all the resorts and which would be the worst to visit during Half Term.

(and the answer would be... avoid the Ranfolly Bowl in LesGets!!!!!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The capacity measure would not be skiers per Km, but users as a percentage of the total lift capacity... based on something like 4 lift rides per hour.

There are always quiet areas of EK, even over New Year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should also take into account whether the resort in question attracts a lot of weekenders - the Espace Killy doesn't, Saturday generally being the quietest day of the week, followed by Sunday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy