Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick question - ski pass pocket on upper instead of lower arm ?

Poster: A snowHead
Normally my ski pass pocket has sat in a little inner pocket on my jacket at waist height and I sort of wave my hips around as I pass through reader.
I've seen lots of jackets now have them in the arm sleeve now just above the wrist, which seems sensible.

I was just about to order a new jacket and noticed the lift pass pocket looked like it was on the upper left sleeve. It got me wondering, will the lift pass sensors pick them up from the upper arm, as my memory of them has always been them operating at waist pocket height??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may have to do a little shimmy, depends on the sensor, not a biggie........
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My pass pocket is on the upper arm. Never had a problem with waist height readers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does it depend on the type of equipment used in the resort? Paradiski recommends lift passes are kept in left trouser pocket preferably with nothing else, particularly not with money or mobile phone in same pocket as pass.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My pass got frazzled last year because I kept it in a small wallet with emergency (beer) money and as I went through the turnstile it was destroyed by the metal strips in the notes.....
That's what the explanation in the lift pass office was anyway!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not had a problem with a lift pass in an upper arm pocket (which most of my jackets have) other than some resorts where some of the pass readers are on the right hand side, which is a complete PITA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lower sleeve not upper for a pass holder. Pick a different jacket Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely it depends how tall you are? Upper arm always been fine for me, but I am not tall
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a couple of jackets with the pass pocket on the upper sleeve and never had a problem ........I’m not very tall, though. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do your trousers not have pockets? Puzzled

The card readers are at thigh level so it's silly to use a pocket on your upper arm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, Not in Tignes - you would have to do the 'can can' I have a new jacket with the pocket at about 5 foot off the ground and it works just fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What colour is your jacket? That can be more of a problem.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sort of like a fashionable 1980s tie die swirl of every type of neon colour going. Looks great with some flouro salopettes.
Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
My pass got frazzled last year because I kept it in a small wallet with emergency (beer) money and as I went through the turnstile it was destroyed by the metal strips in the notes.....
That's what the explanation in the lift pass office was anyway!

I would love to hear the science behind that explanation.

Gazzza The neon will reflect RF traffic and open a different turnstile.

Nah - seriously...never had an issue with pass in upper arm pocket. The odd time you have to dip your shoulder a bit but as above...no biggie
latest report
I keep my mine in my pants (under the knee) and no problem anywhere
ski holidays
I've got a zip pocket on the back of my gloves, never found a machine I couldn't reach.
ski holidays
Hang on ..... there's a distinct smell of something here. Can't think quite what it is, but it reminds me of something...

ah ha ... might be this:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/19496520045

This pocket issue could rival the other major issues in skiing: what is the best tongue position whilst concentrating? Nose wipe using left or right thumb? Gaiters...over the last buckle or not? And that really tricky question: inner thermal....inside waistband of pants or outside?
snow report
@valais2, and how to put on your gloves...ah wait, thats been done. Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32488#777704
latest report
@valais2, Can't believe you have omitted the helmet issue. Hasn't been a decent helmet thread for ages. Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Don't worry it has a helmet compatible hood Toofy Grin

I don't use left trouser pocket as thats my wallet pocket. Right trouser pocket is loose change and mobile.

Jacket is now ordered Toofy Grin

..... and I do have to worry about the type of browsing @valais2 does to happen upon threads asking "What do male trolls smell like ?" !
ski holidays
Personally, I'd choose a different jacket (if you like having the pass in your jacket pocket). IME, many of the turnstiles work at lower levels than my upper arm pocket would be. If you plan on putting the pass in your trouser pocket, as I do and as they advise, then just use the jacket pocket for keeping a packet of emergency condoms or a Findus crispy pancake or somesuch.
snow report
oops - Just seen I was too slow in responding
snow conditions
The Findus cripspy pancake, assuming you have cooked it and aren't carrying it around frozen in the vein hope of asking a mountain eatery to heat it for you at lunch time, would be better off kept in a trouser pocket surely, as it would keep warmer ! Might burn your bits though, especially if it splits open and the piping hot filling oozes out.

The issue of the "hot food pocket" has clearly yet to be tackled by the winter garment industry !

Jacket is now despatched. I am eagerly refreshing the Royal Mail tracking screen every couple of hours even though it's on a 48 hour delivery and won't be here for another day or two. There's something exciting about getting new winter kit isn't there !
ski holidays
You'll just have to pretend you're doing a samba/salsa, to make sure you set off the sensor Toofy Grin

No one will think you're weird, honest.
latest report
Last year, I got my new shiny lift pass card, slipped it into my left lower arm pocket which is the ideal height for the sensor and more controllable than my hip! I get to the first gate and it doesn't work. Lot's of arm waving and wiggling. Nothing. Liftee comes over, I point to the pocket. She unzips it and pulls out not one but two lift passes. Guess who'd forgotten to take out the pass from the last trip! Doh!!
snow report
If you don't have a convenient pocket, gaffa taping your pass to the inside of your sleeve works well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MEH!
Well after all that excitement, pocket position evaluation and eager delivery anticipation, the said jacket was delivered and was too tight around the hips for it's length (pulled on buttocks when flexing down) and had crazily tight wrist gaiters to the point I'd have to cut them if I kept the jacket. It's repackaged awaiting retun Sad
Pity it was a bargainous 3L goretex, and I really liked everything else about it, but I guess fit is everything.

@RichClark, therein speaks an engineer ! I suppose technically I could just gaffa tape it to the outside the sleeve to save turning it inside out. In fact I could probably just gaffa tape my arms and upper torso, mummy style, and save on a new jacket altogether Very Happy
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:

????????
latest report
KenX wrote:
moseyp wrote:

????????

Oh good... not just me then Laughing Laughing
latest report
Replacement jacket ordered and delivered. This one has a pocket on the lower left sleeve, so my problems are now sorted.

It was bargainous @ £210 on Sports Direct if anyone is interested. North Face 2L Goretex NFZ jacket:
https://www.sportsdirect.com/the-north-face-nfz-jacket-mens-403046?colcode=40304605&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsduFqPqG2AIV5LftCh0x_QKBEAQYAiABEgIY-vD_BwE
It's got pockets everywhere I want them and is a well specced jacket. Oddly missing wrist gaiters, but otherwise a very well specced jacet. It's only left in XL, which is what I got, nice baggy fit for me (Im about a 42-43" chest), though I note the arms are quite long without gloves, or without doign the velcro at the wrists it hangs down to kncukles. I like a looser cut ayway, partciuarly once youve' got a rucksack pulling at it.

This was the one I sent back, and is also a good buy from Sport Pursuit for 199 if anyone is interested:
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/798191
3L goretex, and again very well specced. I loved this jacket but it didn't quite suit me. Whilst large seemed to fit well in the chest and arms, more tailored/less baggy, but the wrist gaters are very tight and it's a longer cut jacket, and for me, once I started flexing around like I was riding I found it was too tight around the hip when flexing at the knee and squatting and would catch around my rear end - not what you want when flexing your hip back into a heel side turn, or getting up and down from your backside (as we boarders do often!)

Anyway may be of interest to someone.
snow conditions
Quote:

Oddly missing wrist gaiters

They aren't usual on shell jackets - useful to be able to vent through wrists if you are exercising hard
snow report
@Gazzza, I got my Marmot Randonee Jacket from sportpursuit about 3 years ago for £180 ( which I think was less than half price from memory). Great jacket, bomb proof, lots of room underneath and a huge array of pockets, including.... a ski pass pocket in the sleeve near the wrist Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy