Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Titan size?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
I can officially say that me and the Mrs are hooked. Done about 7 weeks now since our first week of ski school in Bulgaria.
Got a quick question if anyone could advise? I am looking at buying a pair of Head Titans, I am 5”9.5 and weigh 74kg. Going down reds and blacks confidently now but on real steep stuff I do loose technique sometimes. Actually my teqnique could do with improvement overall. I do ski relatively fast and feel I ski aggressively. So my question is...163 or 170 length skis. My right turn is mostly spot on but when turning left I feel that often my left leg (unweighted one) has a mind of its own.
I know that going with 163 will probably increase my teqnique quicker as turning will be easier ect but just worried I would outgrow them too quick. 170’s on the other hand will give my the ability to grow but may be too long at my current stage to help me progress.
Any advice and help would be fully appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
170 I reckon, especially as you say you are aggressive. I had 170 for 5ft 10" and probably 78kg at the time.

Whilst the shorter ski may turn easier it will be less stable at speed and faster carving turns. Longer will be more stable and float more in fresh or cut up snow

Quote:
Actually my teqnique could do with improvement overall

Plus get a few lessons...from a recommended good instructor! Whereabouts do you live as some focused lessons in a fridge could/should have a large benefit on your next holiday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Live in Cleethorpes. Yeh prob gonna go into ski school again in next hol. Maybe inter or advance.
Thanks for your tips
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree, 170cm would be best.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@richie1973, +1 for the 170 - I have them and the same vital statistics as you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richie1973, another vote for the 170. SWMBO is about your height and a little less weight and skis on 170 - well she will this season, found her 161's are a tad short tbh.

Not too far from you too Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 10kg heavier than you and I've got the 177s. Great skis and I'm sure the 170 will be perfect for you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Live in Cleethorpes. Yeh prob gonna go into ski school again in next hol. Maybe inter or advance.
Thanks for your tips
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on what you want the ski to do, I'm happy to lose a little high speed stability for sheer flckability, I'm on the iRallys at 170 but I'm 185cm and 90kg they zip around moguls and I've had them up to 120 kmh on a schuss.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, sounds like the rally’s are as good as they say.
They hold stability ok at that speed?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@richie1973, All the iShape are great- I enjoyed the Magnums. Choose according to expected use....narrower waist makes learning Carving on Piste easier (with extra "Flickability" as tangowaggon has said).

I was on the 170s and at 64kg had no problem (I like a longer ski, as I come from an old school background)....so I also agree with the above advice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richie1973 wrote:
Hello all,
I can officially say that me and the Mrs are hooked. Done about 7 weeks now since our first week of ski school in Bulgaria.
Got a quick question if anyone could advise? I am looking at buying a pair of Head Titans, I am 5”9.5 and weigh 74kg. Going down reds and blacks confidently now but on real steep stuff I do loose technique sometimes. Actually my teqnique could do with improvement overall. I do ski relatively fast and feel I ski aggressively. So my question is...163 or 170 length skis. My right turn is mostly spot on but when turning left I feel that often my left leg (unweighted one) has a mind of its own.
I know that going with 163 will probably increase my teqnique quicker as turning will be easier ect but just worried I would outgrow them too quick. 170’s on the other hand will give my the ability to grow but may be too long at my current stage to help me progress.
Any advice and help would be fully appreciated.
Thanks
Rich

Im 5'9, 70kg and I'm on 163cm Titans.

Admittedly I have always preferred to ski on the shorter side as I prefer short carvey turns than straight lining it like some fool everywhere.

Ive had them at a fair whack and they are incredibly stable - in crud, oh my, just amazing! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@richie1973, in my experience, no! I have Titans which I love, and have skied the Magnums a fair few times and also love them. Similar but subtly different. The Rallys were a different beast: for me, they were twitchy and very unstable at speed.
snow conditions
richie1973 wrote:

The Rallys are great too. (though they are twitchier than the Titans in crud)

As others have said, anything in the SuperShape Heads are good.

My current on Piste Quiver includes:

- 160cm Head SL Rebels
- 163cm Head Supershape Speed
- 163cm Head Supershape Titans

Best fun you can have on piste with that quiver in my opinion Happy
snow conditions
OK I'm 175 and almost 70 kgs and ski on 170 titans, which are a very good piste ski with IIRC the bindings on 6.
latest report
@PaulC1984, agreed, not to put down the more serious skier at all (because they're just as suitable) but I genuinely think for a lot of snowheads who are in the 2 weeks a year, casual/hobby skier category... skiing all difficulties with confidence and a solid well-rounded technique; basically Titans and Magnums are just a staple, do-what-they-say-on-the-tin classic that will hold their own in any piste conditions and if you ever get to the point where you feel like the skis are holding you back then it's fair to say you are probably a bang-tidy skier now.
snow report
Thanks all for your replies guys. Think am leaning more towards the 170’s
Give me more room to grow
Cheers again
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy