Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

airline ski boot charge

Poster: A snowHead
All,

just booking flights and easy jet are trying to tell me i have to pay for ski boots, do all airline charge, i used to just take them as hand luggage
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are included with your ski bag.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they fit into the hand baggage allowance, or other paid for luggage then fine. Don't think anyone would let you just walk on with 2 boots in your hand!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been stopped carrying ski boots in hand luggage on EJ flights from Southend-on-Sea. I now take them in my checked-in luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr Marmot, stopped by easyJet, or stopped by airport security?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If they fit in your carry on luggage anyway why would they stop ya? ie that the boot bag is the only piece of carry on you are attempting to carry?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was worried about my BA flights to the PBB, and they say this as well as a few other bits - "If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance."

I'm assuming that I can take a separate boot bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine fit fine in a trolley dolly style suitcase, that shall be my carry on bag.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Umm, I've been re-reading the T&C's, and my allowance is for one 23kg bag. That means an extra £72 if I want to check my boot bag into the hold. Looks like I'll be following you @endoman.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the ESB a few weeks ago I flew out of Dublin on the way out, and out of Geneva and then Gatwick on the way home, with 3 different airlines - Swiss, EJ and Ryanair. My boots were in my hand luggage on all 3 flights with no problems, and even survived the Gatwick security opening the bag because my avi beacon was on top of an empty flask which looked a bit suss.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom Doc, @Tom Doc, Hi Tom, where these in a boot bag or just normal hand luggage?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jason.peter1986, normal hand luggage - a small wheeled suitcase.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
always just took them as my carry on without issue, however i have a backpack style bag that doesn't really look like a boot bag so that probably works in my favour
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Marmot wrote:
I have been stopped carrying ski boots in hand luggage on EJ flights from Southend-on-Sea. I now take them in my checked-in luggage.

Was you given a reason?
As long as they fit within the hand luggage rules whats the issue?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
probably someone on a desk questioned it in their head and made up their mind that if they aren't sure - the answer is no, as then in theory they can't get in trouble just in case it turns out boots are not allowed., i think you'll only get pulled on this if you have one of the style of bags where the boots strap to the side and are visibly sticking out, making them awkward to fit into lockers, and probably taking them outside of the permitted dimensions.

like i say, i always use this on flights

no problems at all, even on ryanair!!!
snow conditions
We always put out boots in salmon boot shaped bags, and never had a problem carrying them on board. However this year we will be using easy jet from stanstead, so was wondering was it just them that had the issue. We always checkin on line so there won't be a problem with the person at check in thinking boots aren't allowed. So unless easy jet are tougher on cabin bags than ryanair are, I can't see what the issue would be.
ski holidays
Ive tested a RAB 50L rucksack style kit bag in the BA hand baggage slot when it was full. I use tis for my boots as well.
snow conditions
I use a dakine 50l boot & helmet bag
no issues
vid below

http://youtube.com/v/cmmga2de-SI
latest report
@moseyp, separate from your ski bag?
ski holidays
+1 For carrying boots in hand luggage.

For carry on luggage with BA & easyjet I just got this made by local sail maker last week. I increased the dimensions to max carry on size which is approx 60l and Inc straps so it's a rucksack. Would attach pictures but I don't know how to.

https://www.montrosebag.com/product/cabin-bag/
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@Mr Marmot, stopped by easyJet, or stopped by airport security?

Airport Security.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

Was you given a reason?

My memory is that they considered them too dangerous to take into a cabin on a plane.
snow conditions
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Umm, I've been re-reading the T&C's, and my allowance is for one 23kg bag. That means an extra £72 if I want to check my boot bag into the hold. Looks like I'll be following you @endoman.

Yep! Check the BA baggage terms carefully. They charge separately for both a ski bag AND a boot bag. The cost adds-up like crazy. That's why I always try and fly SWISS.
snow report
Poogle wrote:
ratkinsonuk wrote:

Yep! Check the BA baggage terms carefully. They charge separately for both a ski bag AND a boot bag. The cost adds-up like crazy. That's why I always try and fly SWISS.

Yes this is a new BA "Enhancement" but I've not heard of it being enforced.
ski holidays
@jason.peter1986, I just flew from Munich with easyjet. You are allowed a seperate boot bag but they expect you to have both bags within the 20kg allowance. It might be 23kg for newer bookings.if you are putting it in hold. Mine combined weighed about 22 but they let it slide, it may have been because my flight was already delayed by 2.5 hours when I did bag drop. Ended up delayed 4 hours.
You can also take them as cabin bag if your ski bag is already heavy enough.
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

Was you given a reason?

My memory is that they considered them too dangerous to take into a cabin on a plane.
I find it hard to imagine how anyone could suppose ski boots could be an offensive weapon. I suppose you could put them on in the cabin and give someone a painful kick, or use them to clonk someone on the head, but you could do a lot more damage by swinging a 10kg cabin bag at someone.

Did you appeal to a manager? They can't go making up their own rules on this. There's a specific list of prohibited sports equipment and boots are not on it: https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/sports-equipment
ski holidays
speachmaus wrote:
@jason.peter1986, I just flew from Munich with easyjet. You are allowed a seperate boot bag but they expect you to have both bags within the 20kg allowance. It might be 23kg for newer bookings.if you are putting it in hold. Mine combined weighed about 22 but they let it slide, it may have been because my flight was already delayed by 2.5 hours when I did bag drop. Ended up delayed 4 hours.
You can also take them as cabin bag if your ski bag is already heavy enough.

This is what I've booked - its a 20Kg allowance for a ski bag AND a boot bag, or if you have a big roller and get everything in, a total of 20kg.

BA is 23kg checked and you can check the ski bag as your standard allowance - any additional bag will incur fees. You also get 23Kg carry on..
snow report
Does any no how strict Tui airlines are with hand luggage as mine is a just under 6kgs but the limit is 5kgs but my hold case is going to be at least 1.5 kgs under so in theory I am within my weight limit
And I can’t move some stuff out of my hand luggage as it’s only a pair of ski boots
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Marmot wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

Was you given a reason?

interesting then that BA's baggage policy says
Quote:
If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance.
snow report
What if you were to wear them you'd look silly I no
ski holidays
Terms and conditions specifically say you can't wear them for safety reasons.
ski holidays
Flew out of London City a few weeks back and there were signs all over the place at security saying "No sports equipment will be allowed in hand luggage". I think the accompanying picture may have included ski boots, but I can't be sure...either way I concluded I wasn't going to be trying to take boots as carry on through there again. YMMV.
snow report
I always pack my boots in my main suitcase that gets put in the hold and any other clothes I can't fit in get packed in my cabin bag.
ski holidays
Beans wrote:
Does any no how strict Tui airlines are with hand luggage as mine is a just under 6kgs but the limit is 5kgs but my hold case is going to be at least 1.5 kgs under so in theory I am within my weight limit
And I can’t move some stuff out of my hand luggage as it’s only a pair of ski boots

Had to get the weight down from Bristol > Canaries, not weighed on return. 3 weeks ago.
ski holidays
ratkinsonuk wrote:

WTF are you carrying!

I get my kit INCLUDING ski boots in my suitcase and it weighs about 17Kg !!

No skis/2nd bag needed.
ski holidays
@martinm, it's not the weight, more the volume. I don't like wearing my ski jacket whilst travelling, so it's a bit of a squeeze getting everything in my case. I don't mind slumming it when I'm in catered chalets, but hotels require a shirt or two.

Probably have my Ghost camera this year, so wanna bring a laptop as well to dump the footage off.
snow report
pleasehelpme wrote:
Flew out of London City a few weeks back and there were signs all over the place at security saying "No sports equipment will be allowed in hand luggage". I think the accompanying picture may have included ski boots, but I can't be sure...either way I concluded I wasn't going to be trying to take boots as carry on through there again. YMMV.
Which is not consistent with their own website, which has specific explanations of restrictions for sports equipment and ski equipment and there's no mention of a blanket ban on ski boots. https://www.londoncityairport.com/travelandbooking/page/securityandbaggage

They do ban ice skates in hand luggage. Could it be that you saw a picture of those?
snow conditions
Taken my boots as hand luggage last two trips. One a flight with Germania and the other Titan Airways, both from Gatwick. They have been in a boot bag, which was within the carry on/hand luggage size restrictions.

Not a problem either time. At check in or security.

Plan on doing the same in a few weeks with BA. As far as I'm aware, if they fit within the hand luggage sizes then they shouldn't be a problem.

I guess you can remove any potential issue from the airline by putting them in a normal cabin bag rather than a boot bag. But if security has a problem, then obviously they'll pick them up either way.
ski holidays
MountainIdiot wrote:
probably someone on a desk questioned it in their head and made up their mind that if they aren't sure - the answer is no, as then in theory they can't get in trouble just in case it turns out boots are not allowed., i think you'll only get pulled on this if you have one of the style of bags where the boots strap to the side and are visibly sticking out, making them awkward to fit into lockers, and probably taking them outside of the permitted dimensions.

like i say, i always use this on flights

no problems at all, even on ryanair!!!

Just bought one specifically to meet Ryanair’s cabin luggage policy. Nice bag. Little room for much else; but it was bought just to get the boots on as hand luggage.
latest report
BA fine for boots (though I use my Avios to go business class). I’ve found thsr some other airlines have 5kg hand luggage limits. Thomas Cook for one. I’m packing mine in hold luggage - partner and I have plenty of room in 2 x 20kg allowance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy