Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question: Race skis 6cm taller than me

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

First post on Snowheads, so thanks for having me!

I am wrestling with a potential ski purchase that I was hoping to get some advice on:

I have the opportunity to get a screamin’ deal on a pair of dream on-piste skis (stockli GS)… only problem is that they are longer than ideal length for me.

The skis are 193cm. I am 188cm tall at ~180-185lb, aggressive / expert skiier (former racer who does 30-40 days per year).

Would buying this things be a mistake? I have a pair of 192 Bent Chetlers but with the tip and tail rocker they ski short, whereas the stockli’s have full length edge contact.

Any inputs appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 193 is the standard length for a FIS GS ski - so if you are a fit and strong expert skier and former racer, I don't see a problem.......but saying that, I am only punting out an opinion based on what you have said above and that opinion could be wrong.

BTW. Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kingtriplet2000, Welcome to Snowheads.

No doubt these would be awesome to ski on..... on a GS course. They have a >30m radius and probably wouldn't appreciate your efforts to make them do something else. They will also be incredibly stiff and will need a lot of speed or effort to make them turn. So I'd probably give them a miss and go for something a little more user friendly. This is not to say that I wouldn't absolutely love a go on them but I'd probably hand them back at lunch time!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Klamm Franzer, makes a good point. The issues as I see it:

1. Can you ski them?

2. Are they a sensible purchase for outside the race course?

The answer to [1.] is yes, if you are skilful enough. The answer to [2.] is no, unless you have something else for daily use and these are kept for occasional blasts on quiet pistes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kingtriplet2000, I'm a similar size to you but would pick 188cm GS skis if I wanted to enter FIS races, you only need 193cm for WC or EC. I wouldn't use either outside a race course.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely a real aggressive expert former racer doesn't need to ask the question?

My main question would be where do you intend to use them? On a busy public piste you might rarely get the opportunity to ski them as they are deisigned to be skied and hence extra length/radius may be more of a burden than utility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied Stöckli GS skis a few years ago on a normal piste and they were a delight (they were then current FIS minimuim at 185cms, I am 60kgs and (not that height matters) 167cms). A load of fun.

I've also given my 203 SGs a few tours around Chamonix, the PdS and Mürren. Also a load of fun.

So, "not using them on piste" applies if you can't control them, and for sure, they won't be running (or, most of the time, one would hope not) at their optimal racing speed, but that doesn't mean they aren't a blast. And, of course, if the piste is literally empty ... Twisted Evil

But I would expect them to be a bit of a handful if you aren't on top of them. And not ideal for blowing away the cobwebs after a big night out.

Oh, and per DoTM... if you have to ask ... wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kingtriplet2000 wrote:
(stockli GS)… The skis are 193cm.

So thats not their normal retail Laser GS ski then as that only seems to go to 185cm?

We had a go on the Laser WRT, the next one up from their Laser GS, it was great, and that was only on 162cm set. Just went where you wanted, didnt wobble, no chatter where our skis were noodling around on the same piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

So thats not their normal retail Laser GS ski then as that only seems to go to 185cm?

Our poster is contemplating buying a pair of presumably Laser GS FIS skis not non-race piste ski which is the Laser GS.

He's aching to buy them, would have already if they were 188 I imagine
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy