Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
It begins - First snow in Naeba

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Road trip day in Hokkido (spare day at work) - 18 November 2017

Iwanai Cat ski area

Chisenupuri Cat Ski area

Weiss Cat ski area

Hanazono (Niseko) Ski area

Kiroro Ski area

Otaru Tengu ski area

Sapporo Kokusai Ski area - opened yesterday - 2500 yen per day!

Now back to Naeba to get our cat ready for the winter at Mikuni Cat

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 18-11-17 13:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any idea if it is good, bad, average start to the season?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either on time or early
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking like a good start in SW Hokkaido.

Sapporo Kokusai open.

More resorts opening next week.

Heavy snowfall with no warming or rain yet.

Which is very important in covering up the almost 2m sasa (bamboo).

If the sasa gets buried early, then the off piste is a go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Things underway in Hakuba with Happo-one, Goryu, Hakuba 47 and Tsugaike all partly open with good coverage for this time of the year. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Early season conditions look amazing in Hokkaido. Far more snow than this time last year.

Going by the "Niseko Now" reports on SnowJapan, 266cm this year vs. 129cm last year accumulated at resort level by 7th Dec.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Over 3m at Kiroro.

All lifts and courses open from 9th December.

Off-piste is already good to go. Which is super early.

Cam from Double Black cafe yesterday

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reminds me of December 2012 Smile

http://youtube.com/v/il2T4yaGHTY

Or December 2014

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, Excellent news. Isn’t Cam usually on 165 66mm slalom skis, in order to achieve that depth?

I believe the last couple of years were slow to start and consider “relatively poor” by Hokkaido standards, so it looks like things are back on form.

I’ll be out for couple of weeks from mid Feb Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Mike Pow, Excellent news. Isn’t Cam usually on 165 66mm slalom skis, in order to achieve that depth?

I believe the last couple of years were slow to start and consider “relatively poor” by Hokkaido standards, so it looks like things are back on form.

I’ll be out for couple of weeks from mid Feb Cool

He's on Volkl 88s now Smile

Yes two slow Decembers for 2015 and 2016 but January onwards was 'normal service resumed'.

At least it was for me

January 2016

http://youtube.com/v/BlnjZEcBWgg

January 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP2N4MHgYiy/?taken-by=mikethesnow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQB6tc8AMb6/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Getting a bit excited over here snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Niseko area had almost a week of nonstop snowfall last week.

More forecast next week.

Very good start to the season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh man, and I spent all my money going last year which seemed to be a terrible year for Niseko. Oh well enjoy the powder guys and gals!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Lass is there for the season working for Go Snow.
She has been there a week...a week of snow.

We had a Skype with her yesterday

"Dad, do you remember that incredible powder day last season in Verbier?"
"It is like that every day!"
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Getting a bit excited over here snowHead
#

you taking the kids for half term??? Not jealous at all Sad
latest report
@kitenski, are you kidding! I'm leaving them behind and visiting Honshu with the lads. Fancy joining in?

Nine days of snow chasing (no fixed accommodation) with a local guide.

Iki ma-sho!
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, would love to but super skint at the moment!! enjoy and don't post too many pics!
snow report
Am off in Feb for 3 weeks and can't wait!! @MikePow the same Mike I met walking up Lyn fan Fach a couple of weeks back? I was out taking pics Smile
snow report
danmar94 wrote:
Am off in Feb for 3 weeks and can't wait!! @MikePow the same Mike I met walking up Lyn fan Fach a couple of weeks back? I was out taking pics Smile

Yep. The very same 😀

Small world, but I wouldn't like to paint it 😉
snow report
I got a new Dakine Fall Line Double for my skis (one pair) and will put in it all my stuff as well. Question: should I also put my skiing boots into it or take it with my as a carry-on luggage? Comfort vs risk of delayed/lost boots? One connection only at Narita (same for arriving to and leaving from) to Sapporo.
ski holidays
@mooney058, How long is your stop over at Narita?

The first time I went it through Tokyo it was 1.5 hours, and everything was fine. The second time it was the same 1.5 hours, but it took 1 hour for everyone’s ski bags to appear, then security wanted every ski bag opened (not standard bags), so everyone had to run the length of the terminal to make the gate.

I guess the question is, how customised are your boots? Can you actually ski in rental boots. If your bag was delayed, you’ll have no clothing and no gear, so unless you go on a buying spree, you won’t be skiing anyway until your bag turns up.

Personally my boots are highly customised so they always go as hand luggage, otherwise I won’t be skiing.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, 1 hour 40 minutes (assuming no delays with the first leg to Tokyo). I always take my boots as hand luggage when flying in Europe. I wear my ski jacket on a flight, put some essentials into a ski bag so that I would be +/- covered.
I thought that it would be no big deal as I have never travelled that far and not sure of how terrible the jet-lag will be so could possibly live without my ski stuff for a day before I recover. Still pondering whether to risk it or not. But then again, it is the ski trip of the year, so why risk .... I know I sound crazy while talking to myself Puzzled
snow report
@mooney058, boots in hand luggage, you wouldn't want a trip of a lifetime ruined by ill fitting boots. face shots fix jet lag Smile
ski holidays
@mooney058, I don't find any issue for the first day or so with jet lag, it is the end of 2nd/3rd day when it hits me. My advice for the first couple of days when you get back from your days skiing, is to set an alarm for an hour or two later. As you will fall asleep very easily when you get back to the room for a quick sit down Very Happy

As @kitenski, says half a meter of powder fixes everything snowHead
snow report
My trip to Japan in Feb was the first time I’ve left Europe, I found the jet lag got me for a good 3 or 4 days and the problem wasn’t being tired during the day so much as waking up at 2-3am starving hungry as that was my usual dinner time and not being able to get to sleep. Cue wondering over to the seicomart and buying katsu chicken curry and wine along with all the pissed aussies to try and knock myself out. I was fine after about day 5.
latest report
PowderAdict wrote:

The first time I went it through Tokyo it was 1.5 hours, and everything was fine. The second time it was the same 1.5 hours, but it took 1 hour for everyone’s ski bags to appear, then security wanted every ski bag opened (not standard bags), so everyone had to run the length of the terminal to make the gate.

I guess the question is, how customised are your boots? Can you actually ski in rental boots. If your bag was delayed, you’ll have no clothing and no gear, so unless you go on a buying spree, you won’t be skiing anyway until your bag turns up.

Personally my boots are highly customised so they always go as hand luggage, otherwise I won’t be skiing.

??? Am I alone in flying in a lot of ski wear/in hand luggage that delayed luggage means ski hire and annoyance but not much else?
ski holidays
Holding off having to get my head around logistics for our trip.

Not least we have to drive back to the UK from here in Serre Che as flights are from Heathrow and with the recent snowmagedon I might have to err on the side of caution, and I'm fully expecting it to dump here as we get ready to leave.

I've not had the joy of having to fly with kit since my last trip to Lyngen which must have been eight or so years ago and I don't even have a ski bag, but there again mates leave their skis in my garage in bags so think that's sorted.

Then do we bother with ABS ??

Think my boots will defo be in hand luggage though, along with gloves. One pair of socks, 3/4 leggings and one pair of pants, sorted, beauty of Merino Cool

I'll just pack as if it's a hut to hut Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam - we took ABS bags (BA and then separate internal flights with Peach Airlines) - no problem at all.
latest report
Landed in Narita, collected ski bag for about 200m to Black Cat Couriers, booked bag in with return flight details, payed. Spent Chrimbo in Tokyo and then flew to Niseko were ski bag waiting at hotel. After skiing NewYear bag, as booked, collected to be waiting at Narita. Only problem with the whole experience was that BCC collection point was at the opposite end of the check in to BAs oversized baggage drop off. Over all an excellent service and hassel free, yes it costs a little but remind yourself you're on holiday.
Didn't put my boots in the bag only because, with our skis, poles gloves and goggles plus all my other kit, it would have weighed too much (+32kg).
snow conditions
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/personal/ski/

It just works! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@mooney058, I seem to get jetlag worse than most. Main problem I found was feeling very spaced out and tired in the afternoons and it was almost impossible to stop myself falling asleep about 5pm after getting back from skiing (would then wake up again for dinner). I don't truly feel i'm over the jetlag for about 10 days. Since going East leads to tiredness in the evenings that means early nights and not much beer for me, although that's probably not such a bad thing!
latest report
@musehead, that 5pm nap is probably not helping, go for a walk or something around that time and see if you can stay up!! I find a snack helps if feeling spaced out.
latest report
Idris wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

??? Am I alone in flying in a lot of ski wear/in hand luggage that delayed luggage means ski hire and annoyance but not much else?

No you are not. When I went to Sauze one year my bag did not show up in Turin with me, cue much stress and worry before it was ceremoniously dumped on the street outside my hotel by tour reps from inghams later that evening even though the rep had my phone number and I was waiting for the call to say they had it (it hadn't been loaded onto the plane and was sent later on another one). Ever since this experience I ensure I have gloves, goggles, a few snowboard socks, my snowboard pants and hat in my hand luggage and wear my snowboard jacket so that I have everything I need except for my boots and board so should they not turn up/go missing I could always hire those but have the rest. Anyway Japan, it's awesome!
snow conditions
Dumping

In Naeba, Nigata
latest report
latest report
Hearing epic reports from Niseko ❄️❄️❄️
ski holidays
@Idris, almost as much as Chamonix 😉
snow report
Past the 4m mark at village level.

En route, skiing Tuesday.

Watch This Space! 😉
latest report
@BobinCH, have you been speaking to my daughter ?!

Here she is on skype right now...report to follow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy