Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ryanair luggage policy

Poster: A snowHead
Fom Nov only one piece of cabin luggage, but hold luggage increases to a sensible 20Kg, and the hold luggage bag fee is reduced by £10..

Seems like a good idea to me. What i Actually mean is it fits well with the way I travel, and the frustrations I suffer as a result of other passangers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41171871
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bob, good for me, too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what about 'sports equipment'.
Usually it's more than hiring a decent set of skis...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
usual deal for sports equipment, I guess. About the same price as a seat Smile
I've used Ski Carriage UK a couple of times and traveled 'non weekend' to elevate the hassle and cost.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having read to press release, it seems to me that you can only take a small bag (35x20x20) on board with you (unless you pay for 'priority'). Your larger cabin bag has to go in the hold...!?

From the Ryanair site

"...All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They will be charging for the larger hand luggage bags soon ... they will get charged by the baggage handling suppliers if it goes in the hold so will inevitably pass it on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never yet flown with Ryanair as I invariably have a hold bag. So their change to increase the weight allowance from 15kg to 20kg and reduce the fee for hold baggage from £35 to £25 actually makes it more likely that I'd consider flying with them. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, very handy for flying into Treviso. Also good for Stansted to Grenoble. I do fly with my skis. The overall costs of the flights did not seem outrageous. About the only gripe I have with them is that their seats are quite hard to sit on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not really much of a change. They have been doing this ad hoc for a while. There is not enough space for all the wheely bags in the overhead so after they have let a certain number through they enforce into the hold for free on everyone else.

When my daughter was living in Berlin she worked the system by packing a small bag with vital/important stuff and everything else in a wheely. Straight to the gate and ask them if they needed volunteers to check in bags - result no need to haul around the bag and struggle for locker space. both Berlin and Stansted were quick enough to deliver the bag by the time you got to the carousel.

Swiss do the same on City airport flights from Geneva.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In days of yore they had "hand" baggage. It was stuff you could sensibly carry. Bags with wheels... are something of a hack on that concept. And a complete nuisance to everyone else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a rather confused change from Ryanair.

1. Checked back weights are increased from 15kg to 20kg
2. Check bag prices are dropped from £35 to £25
3. All passengers still get 2 carry-on bags but only priority passengers can take both in the cabin, others must drop at the aircraft steps to go in the hold.

Is it just me but doesn't this mean to get a (reasonable sized) bag in the hold you can either:
a) Pay £25 then queue up to get it weighed and tagged, possibly getting charged more if it's over 20kg.
or
b) Don't pay anything, don't risk over-weight charges and just head through security with it, dropping it at the aircraft steps to be put in the hold for free.

Also isn't this what generally happens at the moment for those of us who don't see the point paying for priority/standing up in a queue when there are nice seats in the departure lounge/already have a bag/child seat/etc checked in the hold so know you'll be waiting at the baggage belt? If you're near the back of the boarding queue for a busy flight you'll be told all big the carry-on space is full so your bag go in the hold.

OK, I can't see security letting you through with a hold-sized bag but if you're not bothered about waiting for your bag at the other end why WOULD you pay to check (a reasonable sized) bag?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there a size/weight limit on the bag they will put for free in the hold?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mjit wrote:
...... if you're not bothered about waiting for your bag at the other end why WOULD you pay to check (a reasonable sized) bag?

I guess the obvious reason would be if it contains anything that won't (or might not) be allowed through security: liquids / gels, razors, some tools, ski/walking poles etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd wrote:
Is there a size/weight limit on the bag they will put for free in the hold?

55cm x 40cm x 20cm in size and 10kg in weight
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's as complicated or simple as you want to make it. Given that this is a wintersports forum its reasonable to assume that luggage will be more than the accepted cabin luggage max volume of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm in size and 10kg. Therefore put everything else in a bag/case upto a maximum of 20Kg, Sports equipment (skis or boards) are a further volume allowance purchased are a seperate item covered as per pervious years.

Nb. I put my boots in the 110 litre hold luggage bag.
ski holidays
For snow sports people, it seems like a positive thing, because you're probably going to have stuff in the hold already anyway.
  • A snowboard bag will be €40 (or 40£, but cheaper in € so far) each way. I think that may be cheaper than last year (£50?). At 20Kgs you can get at least one full set of gear in there.
  • A cabin bag at 10Kgs is still a pretty big bag. I'm not short of toys, but I don't need to take them all with me everywhere.

And there will be no more people with suitcases so heavy they can't carry them blocking the cabin. That's got to be good for people who more sensibly put their stuff in the hold, which is what it's for.
When I'm in charge I will bad wheels completely from suitcases: if you can't lift it, it's too big wink

There's a full concise breakdown of Ryan Air's charges and business rules here:
https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees
Somewhere on that site they also say that they will take avalanche airbags (+gas) in the cabin or in the hold. So stick it in the board bag or carry it on...
snow conditions
I suspect there will be just as much pressure on the overhead lockers. More people will think they can still get their two bags on board (one wheely, one small) if they pay £10 for priority, which is less than £25 for a hold bag. More money from priority travellers, same frustration at lack of luggage space, start telling priority passengers they have to check it at the gate, grumpy priority travellers, extra profit for Ryanair.
snow conditions
The Avi backpack item is here.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage#0-11

Can I carry an avalanche rescue pack?
Yes you can include an avalanche rescue pack with one nitrogen/air cylinder in either your cabin or checked baggage.
snow conditions
https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanairs-new-baggage-policy-to-take-effect-with-a-big-change-for-nonpriority-customers-36468391.html
ski holidays
Ill still never travel with them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy