Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First week in March???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I would like some advice on how busy the first week of March (3rd/4th) in France is likely to be??
I know it will still be school hols for 1 region.
We usually always avoid all school holiday weeks as like it to be as quiet as poss!
We will also be driving so I guess the Saturdays for driving would also be busier than usual.
Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can, why not go the following week? Will be far quieter - on the slopes and on the roads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dippy, do you already have a destination booked or in mind?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very busy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^^^Have found Tignes in first week of March to be busier than low season - but not unbearably bad. And still easy enough to get away from the crowds.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pam W - could go following week - but - going again at Easter (31st march) - which would only leave 2 weeks inbetween trips.
Snowboarders in our group need 3 weeks to recover between trips! - Obviously skiiers could manage it no problem!!

Intermediate - some of our group will be travelling on the train so destination will be somewhere with easy transfer from either Mouteirs / Bourg - so probably 3V or Paradiski??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe its one of the French holiday weeks this year
Saturday 24th February 2018
to Sunday 11th March 2018
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dippy, ah, I see. In that case, go the first week in March but somewhere else. Italy would be my choice!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dippy, I'd say certainly not as crowded as previous 3 weeks of French winter holidays. Still busy though, especially Saturday driving. As well as one French zone being on holiday (incl Nice, Marseille, Lille, Strasbourg & several other towns) many from UK aim for that week.

So some of your party planning to go to B-S-M or Moutiers by train. Personally I'd head to Espace Killy, if you want a big area, as I think their lift system copes best with crowds. 2nd would be 3V. 3rd Paradiski. A much smaller but quieter alternative could be La Rosiere, relatively easy transfer from Bourg (eg public bus from B-S-M station).

If not committed to France, then Italy would be a good choice. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mmmmm - thanks for replies - will have to give it some thought??
Most Italian resorts a fair bit further to drive than France tho??
Train for some of group wont happen now - they have not yet booked and those dates sold out! So will probably end up with us all driving - which if we could find a sunday-sunday chalet (which I much prefer) would make driving a little easier I think?
My choice is to go for the following week and dont tell snowboarders they only have 2 weeks to recover!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dippy, Champoluc for instance is only about 90 minutes further than Chamonix. That said, the Mont Blanc tunnel likely to be busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dippy, Sunday to Sunday would improve things appreciably. You also get a relatively quiet last day on the slopes on Saturday, which is changeover day for the majority.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This year with only France zone B (i.e. not Paris), no Brits, Dutch, Belgians or Swiss on holiday it won't be too bad. We've occasionally coincided with such a week on our lads' trip and whilst busier than the next week it has been acceptable in the Portes du Soleil.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have done that week (overlapping with one French region but not English half term) for the last few years and the Saturday drive isn't too bad but Sunday will be better if you can get accommodation. Re the slopes, just need to get up the mountain a bit earlier that the ski school rush and soon find some quiet slopes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some friends went in the last week of French hols last year and were horrified by the queues in La Plagne. We had been in January and not queued more than 5 minutes for anything all week. We were talking to a ski school contact in Serre Che for this year, and she seriously discouraged us from going March 3rd if we could possibly help it.
Sounds like it's worth going the week after if you can!
ski holidays
@Dippy, we do our holidays every year around the 3rd March as a couple of us have our birthdays then. Never really had any issues tbh. Airports were always busy but the roads were relatively quiet. The worst traffic I ever saw in France was 1st week January leaving Tignes. 6 hours to get to geneva.
ski holidays
Cheers all for replies - have decided to leave it till nearer the time now - wait and see how snow conditions are. May even look at a last minute with flight heading to Austria for a change
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy