Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowsports insurance for a seasonaire

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
(This may be covered under other topics, so my apologies if its well covered - I just don't seem to get on with the search function - either too many or not enough answers..)

My son is off to the alps for this season (as galley slave, i think) whilst the company are covering medical/health insurance I am fairly sure that this won't cover mountain rescue (i might be wrong but he hasn't checked that yet) so I was wondering if any one had any advice or direction for suitable insurance winter sports policy.
He's likely to be there mid Dec to mid/late April and, being 18, insurance hasn't crossed his mind and I'd rather avoid that call to my cc if the worst happens....

regards
a (slightly) jealous Dad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JonA, you will probably find, that if your son is getting a lift pass with the package, it should come with "carre neige" or equivalent.
it may be an idea for your boy to put together a general list of questions as well.

such as, if bedding is supplied (company I worked for did not supply it, with lots of frantic calls back home for some people to get duvets sent out!!).

if he is in a large linked resort, does the season lift pass cover this?.

any hire equipment available for the season etc.

I must admit, I wish the internet was around when I went out to the alps, as I was completely naïve and I could have done with researching lots of things!!

good luck to him, am sure he will have a blast

terry
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where is he going?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He is almost certainly covered.

But he needs to check.

He’s an adult. His responsibility.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If his employers are providing his lift pass, it will likely include Carre Niege.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, it will almost certainly 100% not include carre neige.

It may include carte neige as an adjunct to proper seasonal worker insurance.

It certainly should include proper seasonal worker insurance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We don't even know if the lad is in France yet!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most if not all,(I don't know of 1), UK ski TO's will cover your sons on piste skiing, which will include recovery in the event of an accident. Off piste will be a matter of the particular policy taken out by the company on it's employees behalf. Too many of the above answers re. Carte Neige seem to be assuming he's going to France? Is he? If not no Carte Neige. However other lift companies around the Alps do offer their own versions of this kind of cover. Enquire where ever it is he is going.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys
he's off to Courmayeur.... so Italy, but as he's in the Aosta valley there's the other resorts there plus link to france (La Thuile-La Ros') and over to chamonix and beyond - all subject to passes and how organized they are.

@under a new name, -
Quote:

I completely agree, but although he is pretty sensible and practical, I think that the anticipation has wiped a few things from his view.
I have suggested that he check all this with the company - TBH if he has somewhere to sleep (even without bedding) and eat, he'll survive - I'm just keen to make sure that I won't be getting a call from the slopes asking for the credit card details to under write his rescue ... especially if its a heli job out of the backcountry.
With only a few weeks 'till he's off, I was keen to know where to look for the right sort of cover if he needs it.

cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JonA,
I think he should have the paid option of snowcare.
it defo covers rescue from ski area.
I used it for an area in Aosta last year, was around 60e from memory.
Easy to carry it with pass in case of accident on the mountain
I'll try find a link when I get home later
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JonA, His principal concern should be repatriation to the U.K. in the event of an accident. The local insurances that come with ski passes won’t cover this. MPI insurance is a good bet to cover this risk.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for MPi. I've used it and taken out the bare minimum cover and deleted all the options when buying it on their web site when doing seasons just to make sure if i get helicoptered off the mountain or break my neck and need repatriation then i'm sorted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JonA, It may be worth taking out an annual family multi-sports insurance that covers members of your family. if you are likely to be doing anything of a sporting nature in the next year it is probably worth taking out anyway.
One is offered by our property owners association in La Plagne via Diot Montagne and covers Worldwide mountain rescue and repatriation for up to 5 members of your family and costs 112 euros.
Details can be found here - http://www.assurance-multi-sports.com/AssuranceSportDetail_en?ID=76fe1788-43cf-4ea5-99e1-085f20b7351f
Small print here - http://assurance-multi-sports.com/docs/notice_en.pdf

The duration of stay is limited to 90 days which should see him through to mid-March, maybe he could bring his washing home on his day off around that time?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk:-
'The duration of stay is limited to 90 days which should see him through to mid-March, maybe he could bring his washing home on his day off around that time?'

If he's working for a UK TO he will not be allowed to leave resort without the express permission of his area manager and then only in exceptional circumstances.

MPI is good but at 5-600 pounds for 6 months expensive. As stated earlier check the companies insurance details first. If he is badly hurt,(seriously hope not), he will be covered by it for things like repatriation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JonA,
What does it say about insurance in his contract?
snow report
The employer will normally provide cover for living/working, and skiing on piste. To top it up for off piste cover just join the AAC (Austrian Alpine Club) - doesn't cost much.
snow conditions
He will need Business Insurance if tbe Lift Pass is included as it will not be considered leisure/holiday winter sports.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
He is almost certainly covered.

But he needs to check.

So, no more skiing related questions on SH if you're an adult then? Shame, as a late starter, I have found it a font of knowledge. Never mind.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech,
Quote:

If he's working for a UK TO he will not be allowed to leave resort without the express permission of his area manager and then only in exceptional circumstances

Is he an employee or a slave?
snow report
skichampcouk:-All UK TO's pay the minimum they can get away with that's true. However when all the ancillary benefits are added up the package rarely amounts to slavery. Lets face it if it was there wouldn't be far more applicants for the roles than roles themselves? Having done 11 seasons and about to embark on my 12th, working for UK TO's in 9 of those, I think I can look at it objectively.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, please don't start that debate. it'll go for 17 pages and achieve nothing it didn't achieve the last 256 times.
ski holidays
@JonA, the whole valley season pass includes rescue insurance (snowcare), it does not extend either insurance or lifts to chamonix. If he is only provided with a Courmayeur pass it may include lifts in chamonix, don’t know about insurance. His employer will almost certainly have him covered, I suspect this will be limited to the cover with the pass which is called Snowcare, and the European health card (make sure he gets one) with no repatriation cover except in the back of a coach. What else does he need to cover. I suspect that the TO going for maximum cheapness may only get a Courmayeur pass so check coverage. If he intends to do some more serious off piste or touring then as said above the Austrian Alpine Club membership at aprox £30 will cover rescue.
ski holidays
http://www.skilife.ski/en/aosta-valley/aosta-valley-skipass/

This is the web site for Pila in English with links to lots of useful info incl insurance. There is mention that passes sold to TOs may not have insurance included.
snow report
Hi guys
Well he rec'd his employment docs over the weekend. An interesting insight into the TO industry.
Insurance policy summary makes no mention of snow sports although does cover repatriation. He is asking for clarification on this and which pass they are providing and if that comes with cover.
As it is not mentioned I suspect minimal to no cover to keep costs down, hence my original post, although they do make a 'employment services' charge....
No clauses restricting his movements...@Old Man Of Lech,
When he heard back well start the insurance search
Regards
ski holidays
@JonA,
Try here for a starting point:- https://www.dogtag.com/
snow conditions
@JonA, hope it works out OK for him. Very jealous.

@under a new name, Maybe I have Carte instead of Carre on my Espace Killy season pass. TBH, I don't know.
snow conditions
Assurski.fr 50 euros covers italy too
latest report
Is he working for Mark Warner by any chance?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You're invincible at 18 and the sun is out.

No need for insurance.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, he is ......

@Whitegold,
Quote:

You're invincible at 18 and the sun is out
.... so true. I (vaguely) remember that feeling.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy