Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix ski gear buying advice, a question of timing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were once told that most of the ski clothing shops in Chamonix high street do a pre/early season week or two when prices are markedly discounted. Is this too good to be true or, if it does happen, when is it??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve never heard that, nor seen it. I’m not there every weekend, but I’m sure I’d have heard.

There is a “braderie” in April http://www.chamonix.com/grande-braderie-des-commercants,42-778283,fr.html the other half acquired a lovely Arcteryx down jacket for about half price.

There is annual bourse aux skis though, 18 November ... there is some new stuff usually.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise never heard of it, but the April week is fantastic. Got a load of stuff including back protectors, goggles, jacket, new boots all for 30-50% off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't get 50% off MRP on ski goods in April or May you really aren't trying. Carry over items and high service stuff like boots excepted. Wouldn't have thought there was anything in it for shops doing the same early season. Maybe a bit of extra discount for seasonnaires for the hope of referrals.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes +1 - though I've known shops in St Anton to be selling everything they couldn't get rid of in April/May for even cheaper end of Nov/start of Dec.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Certainly wandering around Cham this weekend even Intersports MTBs weren’t on sale Sad

I know that f’r instance, Concept is closed for a few weeks and reopen with new kit and full bore prices.

I suspect that in e.g. Snell you can probably find last years gear at modest discount. But not worth getting out of bed for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys, just one of those vallee ex-pat myths then.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gvj wrote:
We were once told that most of the ski clothing shops in Chamonix high street do a pre/early season week or two when prices are markedly discounted. Is this too good to be true or, if it does happen, when is it??

No idea about Chamonix but la Clusaz has a weekend of sales on the 11/12 November. Maybe other areas do the same?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They had a huge sale on the weekend I left after Summer, 10th September this year. Gazebos outside of all the shops with insane discounts everywhere. Not sure when the next is, but it's the same kinda deal as the April one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dunny#1, that would be a braderie... ( my new French word wink )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Intersport in Bourg St Maurice was eye wateringly expensive, when I looked two weeks ago.

Ellis Brigham was considerably cheaper for the same kit.

The one exception was they were doing lightweight fleece base layers for €7.99. I bought 3.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah zero g do a pre season braderie every year, its on at the moment. not really on hardware but its good if you want to buy picture or burton outwear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eddiethebus, wouldn't it be a post-season braderie for zero-g? At least from an MTB POV?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure if it's still teh case, but a friend who owned a shop out there once told me that it's not that easy for a retailer to have a sale as they have to go to the prefecture o get it signed off/approved and then they're only allowed it in certain weeks, which is why all shops have their sale at the same time, he said it was a double edged sword as it meant that whilst he couldn't undercut his competitors they couldn't undercut him with a sale.

However, he did say he's always allowed to "Negotiate" a deal and there's no controls over what he can/can't do with used or sold/returned kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy