Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short November ski break driving from Frankfurt - crazy or not?

Poster: A snowHead
We've got the option of flying from Glasgow to Frankfurt in mid-November for £8 (!), and back from Dusseldorf for not much more.

Flight out is Monday morning, flight back is Saturday afternoon. Would it be crazy to hire a car and drive to the Austrian Alps for 4 days' skiing? Probably only the glaciers would be open - do you think it would be worth the journey? And if so, which glacier(s) would you recommend?

Car hire cost (including dropping off at a different airport) seems reasonable. Time off work is already booked for Mon-Sat anyway, by chance.

P.S. Please tell me if you think it's a crazy idea.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would take you at least 5 hours to drive down to the Tirol region. That's without the extra time going up the Zillertal valley to somewhere like the Hintertux.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not? Sounds like a good trip to me, and there's a lot of snow forecast for next weekend so it could be really nice. Might also be worth looking at the train depending on your party size - takes about 5 hours from Frankfurt airport to Innsbruck and costs about €90 I think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It would be crazy.

I live in Frankfurt, and if I drive straight from work on a Friday, realistically I get to Innsbruck between 23:30 and 00:30, with the only stops being 2x30min stops maximum.

Actually, I live 30mins closer to the Alps than Frankfurt Airport.

Add at least another 2hours each way (more like 3) on top for Dusseldorf, and even more if it's actually Weeze.

£8 flight plus 2 full tanks of fuel at €70 each. Bargain.

Fly to Munich and save 3.5hrs driving each way.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesnt sound like a big deal in terms of the drive. Used to drive 4 hrs one way in NZ for 2 days skiing if it all looked good for snow and weather, and friends would drive that for 1 day.

If you can share the driving and if there is not much at risk in terms of sunk costs to write off if you decide not to go why not?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, I sympathize with - and share - your enthusiasm to get cracking, but unless this represents your only opportunity to ski this season, it might be better to keep your powder dry for another month as this type of deal is likely to still be available and your skiing options may have expanded considerably.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Id say just chill out in frranfurt area for a couple od days and take a cruise up the Rhien to Koln/Dusseldorf (or train) chill out there.
Forget the driving & ski
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. We do already have the time off work. Also the cost of car hire / petrol is split between two. Flying to Munich is expensive unfortunately (and not direct, so wouldn't save much / any time).

However, it is a long way to drive. And it's not our only opportunity to ski this season - we have a week in January. Though @red 27, probably won't have any more holiday allowance during the main ski season (and will the flights be as cheap?). Does that change your opinion?

It's for 2 of us, so train comes out as a little more expensive for the return journey.

@stanton, that might be a good idea. Haven't visited that part of Germany before. Although the Canary Islands also have some tempting flights...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, TBH if your flying to Frankfurt or Dusseldorf & driving you may as well fly to Amsterdam take the over night sleeper train.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There should be good skiing on the glaciers with the way the weather seems to be shaping up for this week. If you're not losing holiday time and costs are minimal I can't see any reason why not to, though I'd probably rather get a train than drive.

Either that, or go surfing in Portugal or Morocco or something.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't comment about driving viability but if you do decide to go skiing, last season I went to Kaprun (next to Zell am See) for a week from 12 November. There was plenty of snow during the week. Kaprun is at the base of the Kitzsteinhorn glacier so it is snow sure very early in the season.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great idea! Go for it!

Those footy fans amongst us drive 5 hours each way (in a day) to watch/endure 90 minutes of sport. Doing that over 6 days would be no bother.

And lots of Snowheads drive to the Channel then do a 9 or 10 hour drive each way for 6 or 7 days skiing. What's the difference?

You only live once!

I've just remembered... about 15 years ago we drove from the north east to Austria for 2 nights when we couldn't resist the lure of a last minute £60 ferry! A 2000 mile round trip for 2 nights in the Alps. Those were the days! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Absolutely go for it - well worth the effort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
denfinella wrote:
And it's not our only opportunity to ski this season - we have a week in January. Though @red 27, probably won't have any more holiday allowance during the main ski season (and will the flights be as cheap?). Does that change your opinion?

If you've got a week in January I'd bin this Frankfurt/Dusseldorf idea and have a day in UK snow dome instead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well worth it.

2 hours to Nurnberg, then another 2.5 hours up to Madzeit.

I'd recommend driving at night you (used to) be able to hoot down those autobahns at a steady 100mph.

Of course its worth it.
snow conditions
Perhaps it takes a little longer nowadays.
ski holidays
Seems like SH's is split on this one...

We've decided to leave it this time and go somewhere warm instead. The deciding factor was the fact that we'll be limited in the places we can ski - and if it's windy / snowy, there's no cover on a glacier. Will definitely keep the option in mind for mid-season though.
snow report
Still think you should have gone for it - adventure!
snow conditions
Shame, last week I drove from Bristol down to Sölden, Austria and back for 6 days skiing on the glaciers.. I'd do it again if I could get the time off work Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I'm really surprised that a skiers' forum would offer so much advice against skiing.

Rather surprising/disappointing. Crying or Very sad

QRZbuddha

That's more like it! Very Happy
ski holidays
QRZBuddha wrote:
Shame, last week I drove from Bristol down to Sölden, Austria and back for 6 days skiing on the glaciers.. I'd do it again if I could get the time off work Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy