Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Feb Half Term car rentals @ GVA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For anyone looking for reasonably-priced half-term rentals, Europcar on the French side currently has cars from £200-300 for a week, if you sign up to the free "Europcar Privilege" loyalty scheme to get some heavily discounted rates.

I've just rented a Kia Sportage 4x4 with snow tyres for £250 for the week, which is about the cheapest I've ever seen for a 4x4 in a holiday period.

The £500 saving vs the swiss side justifies the extra faff (for me) of dealing with the French side, and the entirely random nature of what you actually get... last year's "winter tyres" was a set of snowsocks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The £500 saving vs the swiss side justifies the extra faff (for me) of dealing with the French side, and the entirely random nature of what you actually get... last year's "winter tyres" was a set of snowsocks!
Great price that @snowdave - but you get what you pay for wink

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, Very Happy Those would probably have been more useful!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowdave wrote:
For anyone looking for reasonably-priced half-term rentals, Europcar on the French side currently has cars from £200-300 for a week, if you sign up to the free "Europcar Privilege" loyalty scheme to get some heavily discounted rates.

I've just rented a Kia Sportage 4x4 with snow tyres for £250 for the week, which is about the cheapest I've ever seen for a 4x4 in a holiday period.

Have you received confirmation? I saw the same car for £220 for feb half term week. Booked it as i thought that was an excellent price. The 4x4 and snow tyres drew me in. My confirmation email is showing a jeep compass ( no snow tyres or 4x4). Still a great price I think ( I had requested chains as an extra which have been confirmed). I intent phoning to confirm snow chains closer to the time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I intent phoning to confirm snow chains closer to the time.

and if they don't have the tyre size on them (ie new), check they fit, too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
and if they don't have the tyre size on them (ie new), check they fit, too
I'll second that! I learned the hard way on a snowy drive up to Tignes three years ago. The chains were too small for the hire car and wouldn't go anywhere near.

We (and others) had been waved into a chain-fitting layby by the police at around 1800m. Fortunately it was dark and, when I just went for it without the chains, the police (who must've seen me faffing on (cough) 'fitting the chains') just let me go...

We had a bit of a hair-raising drive after that - nearly coming to a standstill on a couple of steeper bits and bends - but made it up to the resort on just the snow tyres. Phew!! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@james75, Same - confirmation email shows a Jeep Compass which I'd still be happy with, but isn't the promised 4x4. I have a screenshot of the booking tho, as evidence.

The Europcar fleet guide unhelpfully identifies the car class (IXAR) as "intermediate, special, auto, unspecified fuel with aircon"...

As mentioned, last year the "snow tyres" were just snowsocks, and there were no alternative vehicles. Europcar was so disorganised that I ended up being given snow chains as well as the socks, without anyone recording it (i.e. I could have walked off with them).

Still, for £250 it's a decent result.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowdave wrote:
@james75, Same - confirmation email shows a Jeep Compass which I'd still be happy with, but isn't the promised 4x4. I have a screenshot of the booking tho, as evidence.

The Europcar fleet guide unhelpfully identifies the car class (IXAR) as "intermediate, special, auto, unspecified fuel with aircon"...

As mentioned, last year the "snow tyres" were just snowsocks, and there were no alternative vehicles. Europcar was so disorganised that I ended up being given snow chains as well as the socks, without anyone recording it (i.e. I could have walked off with them).

Still, for £250 it's a decent result.

We've both had exactly the same!!! I also have a screenshot of the original booking. I don't mind at all which vehicle it is as I'm happy with £300 (with snow chains pre-booked). The snowtyres & 4x4 would have been nice though - going to Tignes!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think you can rely on having the exact model confirmed in your booking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, agreed, this isn't about the exact model tho', it's about a car class that states 4x4 and snow tyres vs a confirmation that doesn't.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
I don't think you can rely on having the exact model confirmed in your booking.

Definately not. It states quite clearly 'or similar model' so I don't expect to have the exact model as quoted. However, I would expect the same spec ie if it states 4x4 and snow tyres I would expect those in whatever model of car.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy