Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Just received an email saying that St G will open some slopes early on 9/10 Dec
No news from Les C - last year they announced early opening before the foehn rolled in and cancelled their plans
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'm not out until the 21st so lets hope for more snow & not a very late Indian summer again.......Last year I walked down from Le Houche back to the village in a tee shirt on New Years day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah - we were supposed to drive out on Boxing Day but stayed at home. Same plan this year - fingers crossed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and Les C have announced they will open 9/10 too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, looking at coming out for 3 days skiing from 18 Dec a few pieces of advice please

- what lift pass would you suggest (Family of 3, 2 intermediate skiers 1 very good skier)?

- hire car or book transfers? we're looking at an airbnb apartment in the centre of St Gervais - I'm assuming the drive from Geneva won't involve any climbing as we are staying in the town so hiring a car probably a safe option (and much cheaper than transfers)?

- have heard La Grange mentioned, should we book tables in advance or is the week before Xmas still pretty quiet?

Many thanks

Maltababy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maltababy, just get the EMB pass, more then enough for 3 days. Car hire easiest, French or Swiss side & takes about 1.10 hours, 2 tolls at 1.9 & 4.10 euro. There is not real climb so hire car will be sufficient
La grange is a pub , no eatery so no booking, for food try l'eterle for Pizza or la galleta for meat. If you want posh le serac is nice also.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@maltababy, EMB lift pass.
Transfers v car hire? Depends on cost and how much you like having a car and driving in alpine areas midwinter.

Car not necessary for 3 days. May be handy for a one off shop for food etc or eating out in a different town, or an excursion to take in the pre Christmas Megeve atmosphere..
If you wanted to ski Les Contamines, a car is very handy. Personally I wouldn't bother on a 3 day trip.

If you hire I'd go for winter tyres myself. Reduces likelihood of having to faff with snow chains significantly.
If price difference not too great, Swiss side renting better, many other snowHead threads cover this if you search.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@intermediate, only reason I say hire car is for 3 days you can pick up hire car for sub £100, even the ouibus which will be the cheapest transfer would be 50 euro per person
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, yes if that price (or thereabouts) included 'winterisation' I'd snap that up snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone have any info on ski hire for New Years Eve?
We land at Geneva at 4.05 so hoping to pick up car by 5 & in St.G by 6.15ish.
Will hire shops still be open until 7 on NYE?
I'm planning to book them in advance.
Don't really want to waste any time on the Monday morning.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Steve
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SteveCook0, phone the shop of choice? Anywhere I know anything about, shops don’t have special hours
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@maltababy,
Should have some nice snow.
Get the EMB pass - you'll want to ski over to Megeve and St Nicholas so St G pass is too restrictive.
I'd hire a car from the Swiss side as they all have a) winter tyres (and chains) and b) carnet for the swiss motorways - this means you can avoid driving through the centre of Geneva which is OK but best avoided if you can.
The drive to St G is about as easy as drives get in the Alps but there are a few switch backs in the last 2 or 3 miles. They are between only 400m and 800m of altitude so tend not to be snow except in the middle of snow falls but there is enough snow in the forecast that you should be prepared for that hence my comments about hiring a car on the swiss side.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SteveCook0,

pretty sure hire shops will be open as usual but perhaps worth emailing one or two?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm driving out on the 21st & for the first time I am thinking about taking snow chains. I only ever drive to StG so never take the car above 850 meters so never have the need for them but this year has me worried. FYI I cant recall ever seeing the snow chain sign on the road from La Fayet up to StG.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the info guys.The bad news is I've already sorted the car throught the French side as much cheaper.
Interested to know about the Swiss Carnet.
I've been skiing in Les Gets/Morzine area for the last 10 years & have regularly used the motorways to get to Cham/Megeve
for a day out. Never had an issue.
We normally drive through Geneva to get to Les Gets so know the route well but would never go that way
as the motorway is much quicker to St.G plus with the urgency to get to the ski shop, times is of the essence.
We will have snow socks for the tyres as I hate putting chains on & have found them to ok in all but the most severe of conditions.
We are a group of 4 confident skiers however having not stayed local before, not sure what is the best lift pass option.
We will still take a day out to Cham & maybe Flaine so maybe just get a 4 day full EMB pass then book the extra days.
Any tips on where to eat, places to avoid etc greatly appreciated.
Steve
ski holidays
@SteveCook0,
La grange is a great little pub.
For food in StG village try:
L'eterle for Pizza & pasta.
La galleta for grilled meat on open fire, be prepared to strip down to tee shirt once inside
The Royal is nice with slight Indian tilt.
Bistro Mont Blanc is also nice but only ever eaten outside with them.
Par Bar does huge burgers
If you want posh Le Serac or bistro Serac is nice also.
Food on piste is very expensive if you are over the Megeve side, there is a magic little hut just where the red & blue split on way to Bettix that does onion soup, fries or toasties for something like 3 euro each.
ski holidays
The hut just below the second drag up from Bettex?
snow conditions
I think that's the one, it's very basic inside but the food is cheap & tasty
ski holidays
Just for interest although I'm sure we'll soon find it out.
As we have a car, & subject to road conditions, would anyone recommend using the big gondola straight from St.G or does driving upto Bettex make more sense?
Just think about the potential for horrendous queues trying to get down at 3.30/4ish.
Also parking at Bettex. Whats it like?
I should say we are reasonably early risers so would expect to be on the slopes no later than 9.30
ski holidays
@SteveCook0, check opening dates. For example, Les Contamines listed as opening on 22 December - some resorts don't open till 23rd - despite recent good snow and some early weekend opening.

Also be careful that your snow socks fit the hire car you get.

And my niece and her old man had to put chains on on the hill up from Sallanches to Combloux - as did the truck which had been sliding down alarmingly just in front of them. But that's rare!
latest report
I wouldn't drive up to Bettex .. if it's busy the parking will be difficult. And it's an uphill walk to the telecabin. The queue down in SG for the telecabin moves quickly .. I always park there.

If therw is enough snow then you can ski back down to the car in SG .. good times.
snow report
Quote:

I wouldn't drive up to Bettex .. if it's busy the parking will be difficult. And it's an uphill walk to the telecabin. The queue down in SG for the telecabin moves quickly .. I always park there.

If therw is enough snow then you can ski back down to the car in SG .. good times.

Yes - I'd put it stronger than that - parking at Bettex is rubbish for non-residents and parking at the St G bubble is excellent. Since they replaced the bubble with the current monster, queues are not a big problem. We come from Les C to ski with friends in Bettex every season. I never even contemplate driving up there - bubble is much easier.
Also there is a good chance you will be able to ski back down (it's a sporty red - not very steep but seldom really well groomed)
ski holidays
Excellent guys, thanks for the info.
Hopefully the snow stays & we have a great week!
ski holidays
@bpirkle, @jedster, got to agree, stay away from driving up there, you'll be knackered before you even start with the climb from the car park to the bubble
ski holidays
Had a fabulous day at Megève today. Perfect snow conditions, smooth groomed slopes on piste with full coverage, deep, soft powder off the sides. Really quiet too as the season hasn’t officially started yet, had a few runs practically to myself. I wish it was like this every Sunday!

Most of Mont D’Arbois/St Gervais area was open, with bits of the other areas too. The areas not open was due to preparation time and I suppose staffing issues, rather than lack of snow, and a technical issue with Princesse. In fact driving through Combloux on the way I have never seen it so deep in snow at the side of the roads.
ski holidays
Anyone have any recommendations for ski hire shops in Saint Gervais?
snow report
@SteveCook0,shop called nery glessiy or something like that just over old bridge in StG, means you don't have to get out of gondola house in bettix & they have a room to leave hire kit in so walk to shop in normal shoes
ski holidays
me again.....never got round to our last minute pre-xmas trip but are heading out to La Giettaz next Friday (5 Jan), any update on conditions this week and /or photos of the Evasion Mt Blanc area to get us excited would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you're safe - check out the Megeve Web cams http://megeve.com/fr/pratique/webcams/

There are none of La Giettaz, but if the Megeve town centre is covered in snow you can bet the coverage on the hills will be fine. Enjoy
snow report
You’re in for great conditions. Plenty of snow so far and more on the way.

Was a bit of a whiteout today in Les Contamines ...
and due to the fresh snow followed by rain (freezing level is above 2000m) it was like skiing in wet concrete !

The home run to St Gervais has been skiable for 2 weeks and is even officially open now and groomed !
latest report
Very Happy super, can't wait. Thanks x
snow report
https://twitter.com/dynarobin/status/947425073828368385

Cracking day. Rather crowded though. Started very icy but starting to soften up. They’ve opened the black piste under the Princess bubble.

snow conditions
Skied Les Contamines today, it was quite powdery. Started sunny. Clouded over. Snowing now Smile

snow report
Quote:

Was a bit of a whiteout today in Les Contamines ...
and due to the fresh snow followed by rain (freezing level is above 2000m) it was like skiing in wet concrete !

That it was.
OK where there was 15-20cm on top of the groomed piste. Off piste you needed some real steepness to keep going and that wasn't sensible given the avalanche risk

Website is saying 40cm since yesterday and temperature -5
But I'm back in the office rolling eyes
ski holidays
I’m heading home tomorrow but never mind back out on the 12th😀
snow conditions
Just back from 3 days in Les Contamines but skiied two of those days at St Gervais...

Saturday - Les C: Croche and Veleray shut but lovely skiing in loads of fresh powder. Avalanche Risk 3. OK viz. Very quiet. Mostly we skied between the pistes on the Les C side but did one long run from the top of The Buche Croisee to Hauteluce. First tracks all the way but that wasn't such a good thing where we had a slog putting in the traverse lines of the flatter sections. Wonderful lunch in the Auberge de Collombaz then skied off piste to the valley in Les C. Bit rain effected in the bottom 200m or so.

Sunday - heavy snow and poor viz so off to St G for trees. It had snowed all night and carried on all day. Snowiest I had seen the place in 10 years of skiing there. Truly memorable day of trees, glades and meadows. Snow carried on getting better through the day as fresh powder buried the wetter snow deeper.

Monday - snow level moved higher, avalanche risk 5 with very little open in Les C. St G had been rained on to the top of the mountain and risk level meant offpiste was out of the question. Soggy half day of piste skiing was more fun than it had a right to be.

Snow quality is going to be ropey off piste until there is more snow. Piste conditions should be fabulous though as they gett more groomed and open up more areas. There is just so much snow - have to believe that there is already enough to ensure a long season.
ski holidays
@jedster, I'm sure we must ski past each other a lot !!! agree yesterday was truly dreadful weather in StG & the last straw for me vision wise, I have to get the glasses / goggles thing sorted. It just ruined my day, thinking the helmet with built in visor is the way to go.
Looked at the webcams today & gutted.. what a difference in 24 hours.
Never mind only 19 days till next visit.
ski holidays
@jedster, after Monday in bed we went to St Gervais for a lateish start today. As you predicted piste conditions were significantly better than off piste. I think I managed 3 or 4 feet off piste on my noodley touring skis and that was enough of that.

There is tons of snow, but still a scene that made your heart sink. Devastation may be too strong a word, but the sight of all the off piste below 2000m completely etched with water runnels from the rain was disheartening. It really needs the fresh snow Thursday/Friday to breathe life back into it.

Not a day for the Ragnoroks!
snow conditions
I know - it is sad. I suspect that up on the Aiguille Croche and Mont Jolie there is wonderful snow above the Monday rain line.
One thing though, all this snow has massively filled in a load of slopes and really opens up the terrain if we get a bit more snow on top.
latest report
Is the home run back to StG now closed after all the rain? Was there a couple of weekends ago and it was already getting distinctly ropey in places. Tempted to head back across from Switzerland if they get some snow at the end of the week, as had a fantastic few days in the sun last time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy