Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What kids skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The little guy is 7 and will be 8 in April. He’s approx 125cm and 25kg’s. He will be skiing most weekends one day free skiing and the second day ski club plus holidays. He has some 118 Mantra Juniors for soft snow conditions but think he’d be better off with narrower skis for ski club. Any recommendations for this age around the 110-120cm length. Thinking of buying rather than hiring as his sister will use them next. Also any benefit to buy boots at this age or just hire?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
for boots mine has the Roche boots that adjust over 6 sizes & he likes them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, ....yes, Mantras no good for skiing gates, for obvious reasons of twintipness and girth.

When no2 was that age he had K2 twintips for mucking around on (equivalent to Mantras, but with a narrower waist) and then a whole series of the Atomic Race series for club and gates. They are not as stiff as the Fischer RC4 and 5s which adolescent strong skiers use, but that's a good thing I think. You can get the Atomics secondhand on Ebay very easily - we bought a whole series of them in different lengths so that we had plenty in the garage and back of the car. Serviced by hand, even trashed ex-rental were fine and grippy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKIS-Race-Carving-ATOMIC-RACE-7-80cm-Great-Kids-Skis/302494026216?hash=item466e0c89e8:g:fNgAAOSwh1hZ6Lxw
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, thanks for that. Will look at Atomic. Looking in the Conrad brochure the Volkl RTM and Racetiger at euro119 looked interesting. As you say the Fischer RC4 appear much stiffer and are upwards of 300 euros. Will also see what Stockli have got (that’s what we hired last year) as like the idea of supporting the local guys. What’s your experience with boots at that age?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, got a local bourse aux skis? Round here much of the kids stuff seems to be perpetually recycled. Any of the junior piste oriented skis should do. I think at his age etc. you don’t need to over think it.

Bro in law went thru 3 sizes of boots one year so the entensible ones seem like a cunning plan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, K2 Juvy's seem to do the job as an all rounder. We've had two pairs for our kids.

Boots wise, they seem to get sold pretty cheap second hand. I have purchased and sold a pair for a £10 recently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there not a shop associated with the race club that does season rental for race skis and boots?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My kids used the Roces adjustable ones when they started out - great boots, and soft enough to be comfy. They size a bit large vs their Lange boots (i.e. a 17 roces is more like an 18 Lange). I think we even got 2 seasons out of one pair.

At that age/weight my son was (just) moving to proper wood core skis - Atomic race 10 I think, in 115cm, but was also in much stiffer Lange boots. Depends very much on his level and what the club expect of them.

Does he get a club discount? Round here it's c. 50%. There's also some season rental deals whereby you can change ski length if necessary during the year.

There's (very simplistically!) 2 levels of kids ski - basic foam ones with race colouring (e.g. the racetiger) and full race with wood cores which are an altogether different ski. e.g. the Volkl racetiger junior speedwall sl. That's why an RC4 SL is 2x the price of the similar looking Fischer Race Jnr.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@doddsie, not with this club but yes also looking at the local rental options (that we’ve done previously with Stockli)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, thanks. Guessed as much for the skis. I think he’s not at the level for the wood cores yet but a benefit of renting is the option to upgrade
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, ...er...not a vote for K2 Juvy's - they are exactly the twin tips which we did not use in the gates during ski club. in fact no2 was called 'twin tip boy' when he turned up one day with the juvy's - these k2's were for piste and off-piste (along with some Gotamas for deep stuff) and NOT for race training and race days - for club activities the Atomics were excellent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy