Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Heatwave 2018

Poster: A snowHead
With prolonged hot, dry weather and record breaking temperatures coming, what effect on the mountains, glaciers, alpine life?
Any SnowHeads out there with eye witness experiences?
Will the mountains act like giant storage heaters and affect next winter season?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.euronews.com/2018/08/03/sweden-s-melting-mountain
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I'm in NZ for a while & the last summer was apparently exceptionally good & they're having a great ski season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I predict... there will be weather! Wink Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of glacier melt in Stubaital and Ötztal nice, with peak flows on the rivers perfectly timed for after work kayaking Cool

Bittersweet as a skier of course, but gotta be good for the river and valley ecosystems. Stubaier glacier has got a lot darker/greyer in the last 7 days...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The rivers and streams are all in spate here in the Bernese Oberland - there’s been very little rain so it’s all glacier melt. On the other side of the coin there’s still snow in some of the north facing gullies down to about 1700 metres. I don’t think summer weather affects the following winter - there’s plenty of time for everything to cool down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's been a fair bit of rain here. A hot day generally means a heavy thunderstorm in the evening. I can still see snow on the top peaks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, mere speculation but I think “heatwaves” have more to do with humans’ limited comfort range than any environmental changes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, This was the top of the DMC in Flaine, with Mont Blanc behind, from quite a long way off, (top of corbalanche in Les Carroz), but still snow at just under 2500m, this was about a week ago,

and

Its is all very dry and dusty, apart from the odd thunderstorm.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
With prolonged hot, dry weather and record breaking temperatures coming, what effect on the mountains, glaciers, alpine life?
Any SnowHeads out there with eye witness experiences?
Will the mountains act like giant storage heaters and affect next winter season?

In answer to your last question, no.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The real thing to look for is how much of a "blob" forms in the Pacific as that can have a dramatic impact on winter jetstream patterns
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An extensively warm summer may well mean warmer than Normal sea temperatures going into winter which would mean warmer than normal air temperatures from the west. However that was also true last year and we got one of the best winters of the last 20 years with a preponderance of easterlies. What we do know is that the world is warming, particularly in the higher latitudes and in the medium term that isn’t great news for our sport unfortunately.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:
An extensively warm summer may well mean warmer than Normal sea temperatures going into winter which would mean warmer than normal air temperatures from the west. However that was also true last year and we got one of the best winters of the last 20 years with a preponderance of easterlies. What we do know is that the world is warming, particularly in the higher latitudes and in the medium term that isn’t great news for our sport unfortunately.

It was very warm from January - there might have been a lot of snow at altitude but calling it the best winter for 20 years is really over egging the pudding. High altitude resorts got a lot of snow but, at least in the areas I was watching, there were rarely large dumps so often when powder skiing the base was present unless on the fattest skis and almost all fresh snowfall was followed by foehn, high altitude rain, or a thaw so you had to hit the good days when they were there. The end of season was poor - really warm April, spring snow skiing was marred by a frequently pock marked surface due to the high average temperatures such as this:

Normally we get a little winter at the end of the season, not really this year although there was some low level snowfall mid May.

Personally I'd take a bit less snow but a bit colder than last winter. We had poor snow cover below 1500 meters, actually poorer than the previous two winters which if snowless, at least were cold during the winter months. I know conditions were different from range to range, I was surprised by the amount of snow still at the end of April in the Val d'Arly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The European Alps are melting and drying.

The number of skiable yearround glaciers has collapsed -90% in the past 40 years.

The 2017 / 2018 Winter for the European Alps was among the rainiest in recorded history. Weeks of rain at low and medium altitudes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitegold,

"The European Alps are melting and drying" vs "The 17/18 Winter for the European Alps was the rainiest on record"

Discuss!
ski holidays
Interesting question in that would I like a repeat of last season in terms of snow accumulation and quality?

We skied so many days of powder, way above average and locals were saying best snow for decades, and we were greedy in that we all said that the Spring Ski Touring season would be fantastic with the superb snow cover letting us probably do routes that were not previously on the cards.

The only trouble was that in effect it just warmed up and we did not get the necessary periods of overnight freezes and subsequent snow transformation, invariably it was overcast and temps would steadfastly refuse to drop below freezing.

We did try and tour but the skiing was pretty crap, and I can probably count on one hand the number of descents where we encountered good text book spring snow.

Usually we'd often go off the back of resort and then skin back up, think we did that only once or twice Sad

Ironically my last day of skiing 2018 season was May 7th and that was early morning powder before the day warmed up.

If I could choose from a menu, think I'd opt for 50 % less powder days and a more normal Spring skiing season.

OH next to me says she'd like a repeat of last season, so just goes to show.

Think if my dogs could talk they'd obviously go for less powder and better Spring conditions Toofy Grin
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@Whitegold,

"The European Alps are melting and drying" vs "The 17/18 Winter for the European Alps was the rainiest on record"

Discuss!

What's there to discuss? One of the two opposite statements were !

The 2nd is a statement of "data". The 1st expression of opinion/prediction. If anyone wants to "discuss" how wrong the 1st part of opinion is, go right ahead...
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@Whitegold,

Discuss!

Climate vs Weather.

Climate

Rainfall for France 1959 to 2009 - clearly the Alps have dried over that time period, with the effect being much more marked the further south you go. For Switzerland there is no clear change in rainfall, for Italy and the Southern French Alps they are drier. You would need a breakdown by month to see what is happening in the winter period.

for the Savoie

Trend is towards years with below the long term average precipitation

temperatures for the Alps

around a 2 / 2.5 degree rise over the last 150 years or the snowline going up around 500 meters on average.

In detail for Bourg St Maurice

Since 1959 the region is +1.8°C over the winter. +2.4°C for December and January and +0.66°C for February. This may explain why season starts are getting worse. This seems to be down to thermal lag - summers are getting much hotter in the Alps compared to winters. The effect of climate change is more marked in mountain regions.

Weather

Rainfall January 2018, France (and see above diagram). Double long term trends. Outlier or new trend?

snow report
@davidof, thanks, interesting data.
ski holidays
Just poking the troll Very Happy
snow conditions
Article on We Powder , Driest and warmest period in Swiss alps since 1864

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/258634
ski holidays
abc wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@Whitegold,

Discuss!

The 2nd is a statement of "data". The 1st expression of opinion/prediction. If anyone wants to "discuss" how wrong the 1st part of opinion is, go right ahead...

It is all facts, son.

No opinion.

The Alps have heated up by +1c in the past ~50 years.

All Alpine glaciers are melting.

Alpine snowfall has declined 10-30% in the past ~50 years.

There is less snow.

The Alps are drying up.
ski holidays
Top post from Davidof.
ski holidays
Maybe true as a generalisation, but the historical weather observations posted in the museum at Obergurgl, Austria (I cannot seem to meet the technical challenge of posting the photo I took, but the stats are attributed to Zentralanstalt fur Meterologie und Geodynamik) show the winter temperatures at 1938m in that specific locality actually decreasing slightly since 1947, with snowfall remaining roughly the same for the past 30 years (not counting last season's exceptional snowfall, of course).
snow conditions
Surprised there is any controversy over last season's conditions. Everyone here is raving about how fantastic they were and hoping for a repetition next season.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Surprised there is any controversy over last season's conditions. Everyone here is raving about how fantastic they were and hoping for a repetition next season.

oh god I hope not, rain rain rain, foehn, foehn, foehn foehn around here. Colder would be good. Our last really good winter was 2013 from memory.
snow conditions
@davidof, where is here?
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
abc wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@Whitegold,

Discuss!

It is all facts, son.

No opinion.

There is less snow.

The Alps are drying up.

Its a cycle & supposedly about to come to end & a cooling cycle is about to start.

Should put to bed the global warming conspiracy. I mean climate change since global warming has already been proven not to be true.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OOOoooooooooh, controversial......................

Still, an open mind is good.................sunspot activity is now declining...............
snow conditions
@Maersk,

well, people can either choose to believe what they have been told, or challenge what they have been told.
ski holidays
Quote:

Should put to bed the global warming conspiracy

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
But they owe it to themselves to try to acknowledge the difference between their "opinion" and objective fact.
ski holidays
I should have directed that post to Mr Egg.
ski holidays
Climate change denial ?Compliments the pro Brexit dogma I suppose rolling eyes
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
abc wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@Whitegold,

Discuss!

It is all facts, son.

No opinion.

There is less snow.

The Alps are drying up.

Its a cycle & supposedly about to come to end & a cooling cycle is about to start.

Should put to bed the global warming conspiracy. I mean climate change since global warming has already been proven not to be true.

The natural warming cycle began 20,000 years ago.

The human warming cycle began 200 years ago.
ski holidays
So I don't clutter up the forecasting thread with rebuttals to delusional science deniers I'll post here instead.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Daishan wrote:
@Mr.Egg, as always you're unwilling to back up your assertions with any evidence.

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/basics-of-climate-change/

I apologise for cluttering up the thread I'll make any future posts about climate change in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138378 or simlar thread.

im not going to spoon feed you.
your capable of using search engines.

I'm the one that's linked to a reputable source care to share some links of your own?

PS infowars / fox news don't count.
latest report
@Daishan,

Nothing delusional about being sceptical about a link between co2 and anthropogenic warming. Im sure there is some effect but nothing to the level that the media go on about. Warming exits in the models it hasn't faired to well in reality.

These two graphs in my opinion bring into question the theory on global warming.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/full.html

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/UAH_LT_1979_thru_June_2018_v6.jpg

If humans didn't exist on the planet, what should the climate currently be doing? staying static, warming or cooling? since no-one can answer that question, how on earth can there be a "consensus" saying that we are warming the planet through industrial activity.

Equally I can imagine most people reading this, go skiing every year, own cars, take plenty of flights and are more than happy to crank up the heating when it gets cold, they would probably also not be willing to change any of those things. Just putting your plastic packaging in to a recycling bin (which probably gets burnt anyway) does not make a blind bit of difference to co2 emissions. So why worry?
snow conditions
Quote:
delusional
dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective
characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument.

Sounds about right to me, 20 years ago been sceptical was understandable at this point the evidence is overwhelming.

@letelemarker, the 2nd graph you linked says "global lower atmosphere" I'm guessing that doesn't include ocean temperatures, that's a massive heat sink.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record

First graph shows combined average temps.

Just because climate scientists can't say with 100% certainty what the climate would be without humans doesn't suddenly make their work worthless.

I believe I read a couple of articles a few years ago showing good evidence that several of the natural cycles we're having a downward pressure on global temps, hence the 90's pause (that wasn't really a pause).

As for why worry, if climate change isn't something the general public accepts and cares about there's going to be very little political will to work to reduce CO2 emissions.
Yes inderviduals can help but without government enforced carbon caps the average citizen isn't going to have much of an effect.
ski holidays
I skied here late July/early August in the 1970s:

https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/service/information/weather-webcams

There is no doubt glaciers are retreating in the Alps. The reasons may be up for debate.
latest report
Quote:

Just because climate scientists can't say with 100% certainty what the climate would be without humans doesn't suddenly make their work worthless

It actually does make it worthless. Its a key point. If you have no idea what is meant to be happing how can you come up with a theory that says the planet is warming due to human causes, its just crazy. There has been temperature variability since we have been in the current Holocene and we don't know how we got to there from the previous ice age.

The graph below is the Greenland/antarctic ice core reconstruction data

http://cdn.antarcticglaciers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ice_Age_Temperature.png

@Daishan, what wiki, guardian, royal society article can you copy and paste to explain that temperature variability?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy