Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

blizzard Sigma FR ski's - suitable bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

new here, have just bagged a pair of Blizzard Sigma FR ski's minus bindings from skiwearforless.com - managed to get them for £20 including delivery though have noticed some on Ebay for around £30+ including bindings - preferred to buy new direct before anyone asks why!

Anyways, just wondering what people thought of these ski's, if anyone had any experience of them. I only bought because were cheap and needed a new set - my 8 year old set of Blizzards are getting past it and I thought eventually time to get a proper carving ski. I know should have researched the ski but they seem to be suitable for intermediate and were dirt cheap so seemed a good buy.

Can anyone suggest a decent mid-level binding - I'm an intermediate to advanced level skier but don't do too much off piste or anything that demands extra flex etc - mainly just a bit of gentle blue/green/red run skiing with the occasional hurtling and pushing myself. I've had the Salomon 810ti recommended as is available for £55 from nevissport and seems a decent mid-level binding..... any other suggestions or anyone know of any good bindings currently available under £80?

Cheers peeps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
know idea about the ski although i do remember there were alot of older blizzard skis through a foreign retailer last year. i guess some are now filtering there way back onto ebay. I picked up some Marker bindings new in a box for about £30 inc p& p. wonder whether new bindings off ebay from a reputable maker might not be your best bet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kleightley, have a word with your local ski shop, as you'll need them to mount the bindings for you. They'll probably have a pair of bindings hanging around that they'll sell to you at a discount.

As you don't want them to be cranked up to the max, try to get a set that go up to a din of say 10/12.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc's advice is good not least because there's a guarantee he has the right jig to drill the bindings
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kleightley, Blizzard Sigma FR, there should be a number after that?

I actually really liked the old (2001?) FR22s, very light, a direct feel on ice and quick to edge, though the tensioned plastic X plate on the top had a tendency to come unglued, and I've had some edge blowouts on them.

Since that X plate adhesive is not to be relied on, I prefer a binding with a spaced apart mounting pattern without center bolts, something like Tyrolia (esp. Railflex!) or Salomon (Edit: Driver not Quadrax). IIRC that center channel (similar but not identical to the one between beta lobes on Atomic skis) was something like 11mm wide x 8mm deep so even some of the Look bindings with narrowly spaced heelpiece screws wouldn't quite fit right.

BTW, Atomic plates fit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are FR22's funnily enough. Will probably go with the Salomon 810's as I've got them on my old skis and am happy with them (especially with the new ones only being £55....). Ta for the comments - they are re-assuring.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kleightley, good idea not to spend very much. I'd still ask the shop to put the jig on there and make sure _all_ the screws are going into the side lobes not the all-plastic center.

Give us a report when you can.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My FR22's have a full width shock absorber over the binding area - does the central channel run all the way underneath the shock plate as it seems to be blanked off where the plate meets the channel? I think the 810's are spaced mounting anyway so not an issue, just curious. As I said, I bought these for next season so either way not going to be too upset at £90 for carvers and fitted bindings (unless they ski awful but that shouldn't be too likely). Many thanks for the advice though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kleightley wrote:
My FR22's have a full width shock absorber over the binding area

Looks a bit like OXO , charcoal grey ?

Quote:
- does the central channel run all the way underneath the shock plate as it seems to be blanked off .

If we are talking of the same ski, the central channel runs all the way through; the whitish plastic bits that blank it off at the shock absorber pads are bonded to the channel quite nicely with a different adhesive. They also tension/retain the shock absorber pads at their leading and trailing edges.

Sort of a prelude/intermediate design leading up to this system.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy