Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change to BA luggage allowance on mixed class flights

Poster: A snowHead
BA seem to have announced that bookings made from today that are booked in different classes i.e. Club out and Economy rtn, will no longer have the more generous luggage allowance on both sectors.
So if you book club out and economy return it would be 2x23kg out then 1x23kg return. Rather than 2x23kg both ways that many snowheads have enjoyed in the past.

Bookings made before today will still get the old allowance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@muppet, well spotted. I believe this change comes in on 18th October, so it may help some to book before midnight tonight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oooh - just as well we booked our Venice flights a couple of months ago (economy out, club return). Nice while it lasted, would probably not have known about it anyway but for this forum.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that's a bug

Luckily all my flights are booked for this years holidays, but next year the extra avios will have to come out.

As a tip for those who use avois, if you get a Lloyds Avios amex card, spend £7500 in a year and you get a class upgrade voucher as well as the avios
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was one of those things that I always thought was inevitably going to be cut at some point. Alex Cruz is on a mission to destroy BA and the fact that it was such a well-known cheat meant it wasn't going to stay out of the crosshairs for long.

PaulC1984 wrote:
As a tip for those who use avois, if you get a Lloyds Avios amex card, spend £7500 in a year and you get a class upgrade voucher as well as the avios

Slightly off-topic, proceed with caution as you are about to receive financial planning advice from somebody who bought a £2000 mountain bike in the Gulf and only afterwards realised it was 50 degrees outside and nigh on impossible to ride it.

Most of the Amex cards offer some kind of reward points that either (a) are Avios, or (b) can be exchanged for Avios. And most of the Amex cards have special offers for getting big bonus points if you spend a certain amount in the first 3/6/12 months. For me then, the secret is just to change which Amex you've got pretty frequently. You'd be amazed how by tactically switching between the right cards at the right times, you can dodge a lot of the card ownership fees and maximise your bonus points.

And anyone who doesn't have an Amex is missing out on free stuff. I cannot fathom why so many people who want to travel more neglect to equip themselves with one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:

And anyone who doesn't have an Amex is missing out on free stuff. I cannot fathom why so many people who want to travel more neglect to equip themselves with one.

Agreed. I've done multiple first class trips over the last few years. Input from Avios using Amex and Tesco has saved me from Club or worse.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never book my flights far enough in advance to benefit from reward upgrades Sad

What I've done twice though is spur of the moment holidays to countries I've not been to before... return flight and 3 nights hotel all on points - literally paid for by the retailers you've spent your money with on your credit card. Makes me feel slightly better about Amazon's tax evasion knowing that whilst they might not be contributing to my healthcare, they are at least paying an Amex charge that buys my holidays. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, Nooooo! Thanks for the heads up. I am sorted for this season thankfully
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems a weird policy change to me. Marginal premium of someone paying business out vs the cost of a bag back can’t be a negative. And if it’s done with Avios, well that’s the cost of being in the game.

Idiots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@muppet, do you have a link? I cant find anything about it
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad I've already booked for the PBBwuW and BB then as this is exactly what I've done.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair wrote:
Input from Avios using Amex and Tesco has saved me from Club or worse.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker wrote:
Alastair wrote:
Input from Avios using Amex and Tesco has saved me from Club or worse.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't forget Shell - you can convert those points into avios too Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm surprised how many snowHeads fly anything other than economy. I always believed (wrongly, it seems) that higher (flight) classes were the domain of business travellers - particularly for short haul flights. For the unitiated (ie someone who's only ever paid for "economy") what extras does "Club" give you? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bergmeister, Club simply allows you to take 2x32kg on your flight - ie your Skis. You of course get inflight food and drink as well as lounge access

with the likes of easy jet by the time you add on 2xluggage, food at airport, on plane etc, it adds up to the cost of BA club.

Also a lot of us collect avios, so you get the flights for free (you have to pay the airport tax of circa £40)
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, as @PaulC1984 says the benefits are basically a significantly increased baggage allowance (2x32kg vs 1x23kg), service on the aeroplane and the lounge beforehand on short haul.

On long haul the differences are much more significant (seat and service) and a single long haul trip (carefully planned) in Club or above can give you Silver status which gives you most of the relevant benefits for a year or more in economy.

If you make it to 'Silver' status then it's usually difficult to justify travelling Club in short haul.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
If you make it to 'Silver' status then it's usually difficult to justify travelling Club in short haul.

Unless work are paying, at which point each Club flight is 40 tier points/1,000 to 1,500 Avios points for next year rather than 5 to 10 tier/375 to 500 Avios in the cheap seats.
snow report
Quote:

a single long haul trip (carefully planned) in Club or above can give you Silver status

Can it? 600 TPs for one trip sounds like a lot - got any examples?
snow conditions
Alastair wrote:

I fly only when I go skiing these days. I justified flying Club on short haul because it was comfortable and saved baggage hassle. I stopped because BA became strike prone. Ryanair are OK (if they don't cancel flights) but their seats are a lot harder!
latest report
@jonm, For example, flying return on Qatar in business class to somewhere like Bangkok will get you 560 tier points (connecting in Doha). For the cheapest tickets you need to start somewhere else in Europe eg Amsterdam or Oslo. Often something like £1200 return.

Then you only need 40 more tier points for Silver. You could get those pretty easily by flying to the start point for your Qatar flights.

Much more hassle than direct of course, but Qatar planes are far better than BA and the journey will be pretty relaxing despite taking longer with the connections.
snow report
jonm wrote:
Quote:

a single long haul trip (carefully planned) in Club or above can give you Silver status

Can it? 600 TPs for one trip sounds like a lot - got any examples?

he showed the calculation on another thread recently...can't remember which but a quick search should bring it up
ski holidays
@musehead, @holidayloverxx, thanks. I'll be lucky if I keep bronze this year rolling eyes
ski holidays
To go back to the original topic, I can't see this baggage allowance change mentioned anywhere on BA's site, although I have seen it mentioned on FlyerTalk. Has anyone been able to find any mention of it on ba.com ?
snow report
@jonm, nope - can't find anything anywhere
latest report
Alastair wrote:
dp wrote:

Agreed. I've done multiple first class trips over the last few years. Input from Avios using Amex and Tesco has saved me from Club or worse.

Not to derail the purpose of this thread, however, me and the other half started shuffling cards about 4-5 months ago and collected over 100k avios in this short time.

I got the BA card and got 25k avios for spending £3k in 3 months. Referred partner, so i got 9k avios. She hit the target and got 26k avios. I now have a supplemental card and we're merrily working towards the £10k spend in 12mths that gets you a 2-4-1 avios redemption - saving for a 2-4-1 business trip to NYC.

In between the above I also got a Amex Gold and got 20k avios in 2mths before referring the other half, getting another 9k to me and then she got 20k.

Waiting 6 months before she'll refer both cards back to me... Meanwhile I have picked up the Lloyds card (referenced above) as this gives you a Mastercard in addition to the Amex and also doesn't charge FOREX on overseas spend.

Already used 18k avios to fly to Zurich over new year for £35 each inc baggage.

Bish!
Bash!
Bosh!

ps. yes, I am an accountant!! Wink

pps. THIS IS NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE and is not straight forward.
snow conditions
I’ve found this and the question is asked on this page half way down.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances
ski holidays
@geepee, thanks
latest report
@Badbobby, goodbobby
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
muppet wrote:
BA seem to have announced that bookings made from today that are booked in different classes i.e. Club out and Economy rtn, will no longer have the more generous luggage allowance on both sectors.
So if you book club out and economy return it would be 2x23kg out then 1x23kg return. Rather than 2x23kg both ways that many snowheads have enjoyed in the past.

Bookings made before today will still get the old allowance.

Also, if you fly on a connecting. E.G. GLA to LHR in Economy but spend more than 24 hours in London before flying in Premium Economy or higher. You don't get the extra baggage on the GLA to LHR route out or in.

I get extra as gold but if I was not then I would have to rethink my carrier (450,000km last year) because I always do multistop. Just stupid.

Now if you are going to the USA and have a link go BA and AA instead. This is going to hurt BA big time. I think they underestimate the amount of people it will affect.
ski holidays
Badbobby wrote:
Alastair wrote:
dp wrote:

Not to derail the purpose of this thread, however, me and the other half started shuffling cards about 4-5 months ago and collected over 100k avios in this short time.

I got the BA card and got 25k avios for spending £3k in 3 months. Referred partner, so i got 9k avios. She hit the target and got 26k avios. I now have a supplemental card and we're merrily working towards the £10k spend in 12mths that gets you a 2-4-1 avios redemption - saving for a 2-4-1 business trip to NYC.

In between the above I also got a Amex Gold and got 20k avios in 2mths before referring the other half, getting another 9k to me and then she got 20k.

Waiting 6 months before she'll refer both cards back to me... Meanwhile I have picked up the Lloyds card (referenced above) as this gives you a Mastercard in addition to the Amex and also doesn't charge FOREX on overseas spend.

Already used 18k avios to fly to Zurich over new year for £35 each inc baggage.

Bish!
Bash!
Bosh!

ps. yes, I am an accountant!! Wink

pps. THIS IS NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE and is not straight forward.

Exactly what we do, plus you get your free lounges with your Amex gold for when you are not going club.

Add in Tesco, shell and TopCashBack andit all soon adds up Happy
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, Free lounges? Is it not limited to two visits a year?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, sorry yes, I never use more than 2 a year though as I go club Happy
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
Alastair wrote:

Unless work are paying, at which point each Club flight is 40 tier points/1,000 to 1,500 Avios points for next year rather than 5 to 10 tier/375 to 500 Avios in the cheap seats.

And if your company only pay Economy, simply book club and use AVios to get the price down. Return short haul eg GLA-LGW is 80 points. Do that 7.5x and you get silver once a month and I get 1000 tier points so a few long haul to add gets me gold. Then because you are Gold it gets you more Airmiles so the excess pay for the CE flights.
ski holidays
Darn it just used that wheeze yesterday with a Leeds/Bradford - Vancouver via Heathrow trip. Obviously booked some time ago. Upgrade to Traveller Plus on return route for same cost as the extra bag would have been.

Also managed to get a very heavy "carry on" put in the hold for free; "as I was helping them out freeing up space in overhead locker !"

Wonder why they have stopped using a A380 on Vancouver route
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
I’ve found this and the question is asked on this page half way down.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

Its interesting that that link doesn't specify any date for that policy change. I have just checked my "Manage my booking" link for the flights I booked last month for the BB and that still states 2 bags of 32kg each so I assume they aren't making it retrospective for bookings made before today.
snow conditions
@mmgg1988, Yes, I noticed it didn’t give a date. I’ve booked Club class both ways, so not a problem for me. Little Angel
latest report
The BA avios shop and the the normal avios shop has being a big boost for us for collecting ponts. Although I diy my holidays booking.cm 4 points per £ and for the package holiday crystal ski is 3 points per £. everylittle helps!
snow conditions
@Badbobby yep I shuffle Amex's constantly. Got a Platinum, scored the spend required to get a big bonus, got the big bonus and then downgraded to Gold immediately and got refunded the difference pro-rata. Moving into a flat I've bought soon, so going to take out the BA Black Card for 6 months because I'll definitely be able to score the £3k or whatever it is for the massive Avios bonus. Then once I've had it 6 months I'll be eligible to start over again with the Platinum.
snow report
@geepee, that was tempting but club was 3x economy on the return so I thought I would save that for beer money!
snow conditions
Useful site for tips on earning points and it mentions the change in the baggage rules www.headforpoints.com

How to get a BA Silver card using Avios and business club Europe tickets https://insideflyer.co.uk/2016/06/earn-british-airways-silver-status/

Another useful site www.jacksflightclub.co.uk

i have posted this on another thread on BA baggage, before the change! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy