Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
With another season around the corner I thought it was time to open a new Zillertal thread.

A peak at the webcams shows a light snow covering today across the valley and Hintertux is showing 31km open.

I noticed that Hochfugen is planing to host cat skiing this year.

http://www.hochfuegenski.com/en/metanavi/media-center/saison-16-17/cat-skiing/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennyboy1, great!
First trip for me this season is Mayrhofen over Christmas week
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking forward to reading it, in Kaltenbach over Xmas
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bennyboy1, Thanks for starting the new Zillertal thread Very Happy It's been on my ToDo list for a week!
We went to Hintertux last Sunday (1st October). It snowed all day and visibility was terrible but the snow was great.
It was possible to ski to the Tuxer Fernerhaus with good snow all the way.
Usually, at this time of the year, there are patches of glacier ice in places, but there weren't any. Very Happy
There were quite a lot of race training groups so superficially it looked busy but it actually wasn't bad. There were no queues and you just had to look at what the groups were doing before you set off. Set off at the same time as the group and you'd be surrounded by people, set off while the group were talking and you'd have the piste to yourself.

Hochfügen were offering Cat Skiing last season too. Here are some photos from the end of last season.
https://www.facebook.com/skiCHECK/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SaraJ, I didn't realise that, how could I have missed it! Is it worth it? Is there much additional access versus lift served off piste?

I have a few trips to the valley planned.

Long weekend in Nov with family. Will spend 3 days up at glacier but staying in Mayrhofen.

Week over NY in Mayrhofen.

Long weekend in Jan with work but staying at Achenkirch. Will probably ski Kaltenbach

Week in March - Mayrhofen

Other weekends where possible! Plus maybe Snowbombing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Off to Hintertux for a few days with the family in a couple of weeks or so. Hoping for some good weather!! Will update when I return...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm having a solo week staying in zell am ziller. 16 to 23 December.
Anyone else there or thereabouts that week?
Also I want to double check about season passes.
I am planning to buy the Salzburg super ski card as I am going to ski welt (soll) and ski amade (Radstadt) later in the season. I can get a discounted pass if I buy it before 6 December. It seems that Zillertal arena is covered but not hintertux or Mayerhofen. Is that correct.
I can see Gerlos is quute high so hopefully there will be enough snow around that week and I will have a car. The tirol card doesn't offer an early discount but wandering which is the best pass yo get? Greatful for any advice thanks.
Or if anyone wants to meet up for ski. Apres or dinner that would be great.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speachmaus wrote:

I don't know if you are on B&B or Half Board, but if the former then there are several good places to eat dinner in the evening. I'd particularly recommend the restaurant Zillerhof run by the tourism school in Zell am Ziller, see my post about it in this thread.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you @Alastair Pink, that sounds perfect as I'm in a bnb. This is just a quick week away to get the good of my season pass.
Any tips for apres bars there?
It was nice seeing you at Durham bbq.
Heather x
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
speachmaus wrote:
Thank you @Alastair Pink, that sounds perfect as I'm in a bnb. This is just a quick week away to get the good of my season pass.
Any tips for apres bars there?
It was nice seeing you at Durham bbq.
Heather x

In terms of apres-ski, as the town centre is about 2km from the actual Arena ski area lifts (there is a frequent free skibus running between the two) you tend to find that the immediate apres-ski is held down at the bottom of the Rosenalmbahn gondola area, there's usually quite a gathering there as people come off the slopes. In town in the evening I just had some drinks with my meal in whatever restaurant I was in.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1, The idea of the Cat Skiing is to get first tracks off piste. You don't necessarily go anywhere away from the lift accessed off piste, but you will be there first and get the best of the snow.
The photos on the Facebook page were taken on the weekend after the ski area had closed at the end of last season. Half a metre of snow had fallen on the Friday and a group booked Cat Skiing for the Saturday. I walked up with touring skis and my colleague, who was the guide for the Cat Skiing, waved happily at me every time they passed - both going up and down! Evil or Very Mad

@speachmaus, Hmm... As you're planning on going to Radstadt, then the Salzburger Superski Card must be the answer., so long as you're happy to ski only in Zillertal Arena when you're in Zillertal. The Tirol Card doesn't work in Radstadt. You're right that the Salzburger pass only works in the Zillertal Arena (Zell am Ziller, Gerlos, Königsleiten, Krimml).
Bear in mind though, if there isn't a lot of snow at the start of the season the links over to Gerlos might not be open yet. If you want to ski there you might have to drive over.
I hope that helps!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speachmaus wrote:
Anyone else there or thereabouts that week?

Or if anyone wants to meet up for ski. Apres or dinner that would be great.

Have dropped you a PM!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SaraJ, I'll have a car. I can always buy a day ticket for hintertux. All depends on snow cover. Thank you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everyone!

Only just signed up to snowheads so brand new to this.

I've managed to secure a contract working as an instructor for Ski Pro Austria in Mayrhofen this season. Doing the Anwärter in Zell am Ziller 9-18 December. Flying out to Munich then driving to Mayhofen on the 3rd December to get some skiing in before the Anwärter starts (also never skied in Zell am Ziller so want to look into doing that before my course starts.) If there is anyone else that is going to be working through the season or that is doing the Anwärter it would be great to hear from you. Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tuxer Fernhaus web cam finally back on, was looking great today.
snow conditions
@JimboS, yeah I saw that too.
Hopefully it won’t get too warm for too long these next couple of weeks in this warm spell we are getting as that’s what happened last year-decent snow then a prolonged warm spell
latest report
DanSJ wrote:
Hi everyone!

Only just signed up to snowheads so brand new to this.

I've managed to secure a contract working as an instructor for Ski Pro Austria in Mayrhofen this season. Doing the Anwärter in Zell am Ziller 9-18 December. Flying out to Munich then driving to Mayhofen on the 3rd December to get some skiing in before the Anwärter starts (also never skied in Zell am Ziller so want to look into doing that before my course starts.) If there is anyone else that is going to be working through the season or that is doing the Anwärter it would be great to hear from you. Thanks

Hi DanSJ,

Welcome to snowheads and best of luck with your season. You should be able to get some helpful advice from the small bunch of Zillertal regulars in this thread. Unfortunately I'll be lucky to get any skiing at all this year but finger crossed.
snow conditions
@8611, Great to hear from you. I've been lucky enough to go to Mayrhofen for a week of skiing every year since I was born. I've also been skiing in Finland and just got back from a holiday in Canada where we visited Whistler for a few days. In my view nothing comes close to Mayrhofen though! Very Happy I spent a week there again at the start of this year then a day on a trip through Europe in the summer. So when I was offered a job as an instructor I couldn't turn it down. It would be great to hear from any of the regulars you mention but also anyone who has done the Anwärter before or will be doing it this season.

Thanks again and I hope I'll see you up the mountain at some point! snowHead
ski holidays
New lift planned. I am still trying to work out exactly what this means. 1.2k of new slopes doesn't sound worthwhile. So seems to be an access lift.

@SaraJ, any ideas?
snow conditions
ski holidays
Could it be one step closer to joining Hochfugen to Penken?
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, probably just to make things more convenient for people staying in/towards Moesl I’d have thought? To save them getting the bus to the Horbergbahn and thus more environmentally friendly? One of the factors they linked Zurs/Lech and St Anton was to save on the buses from an environmental point of view.
Also the only option getting down to the bottom of the Horbergbahn is either ski route 30 (which I’ve never once seen open in the 4 times I’ve been to Mayrhofen/Zillertal) or get the gondola down.
So it would be good if they can get a lift up and piste down to the valley further along although I’m not sure from the google translation where it would actually go from and to.
Looking at the piste map surely it would make sense to have a lift from Moesl to the bottom of the Unterbergalm?

On the subject of ski route 30, as I said I’ve never seen it open and every time I go I look as I want to ski it. Is it closed more often than it’s open or have I just been unlucky?
Mind you 3 of the 4 times have been before Christmas or during and the other time was March so none of the occasions were during mid winter.
snow report
I’ve just looked at the piste map again
I didn’t know there was a bus stop up the mountain by the Eisberghutte?
Maybe that’s why? Perhaps it is to save the bus going up there
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one up there maybe it’s just in the summer!
ski holidays
I've done ski route 30 twice, and never again (unless the snow is exceptional), signage was terrible and piste conditions were even worse.

@VolklAttivaS5, the bus stop is along the flat before the Eisberghutte, just above the piste switchback. I have seen folkes disembarking (from minibuses) there and buying a lift ticket at a small office just just by the Kressbrunnalm.

A few years ago we also took a taxi to that point to catch a snowmobile up to the Schneekar where we were staying after we arrived when the lifts were closed.
snow report
@JimboS, ah I see
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, There was an article in the Tiroler Tageszeitung about it a few days ago http://www.tt.com/wirtschaft/standorttirol/13563916-91/startschuss-f%C3%BCr-neue-m%C3%B6slbahn.csp
though after a quick scan of your link (the seilbahn.net one) it seems to be more or less the same article. It's due to open in December 2018.
There are a few guesthouses and hotels along the road where the base station will be, so I assume it will be an access lift for the people staying there. I've sometimes wondered about what those hotels do in winter - I can't imagine they get a lot of business if people have to drive down to the Horbergbahn before getting on a lift. The article says the lift will have the uplift capacity of 2000 people per hour - I'm not sure where they're planning to find all those people! So, the idea that it might be the start of the link to Hochzillertal is not a crazy one. People have been talking about linking the areas since I've been here. Hochzillertal are gradually developing in the bowl behind Kristallhütte which is also a step in that direction. I think it might be a few years away yet though.
@VolklAttivaS5, I've skied that ski route a couple of times. It's fun when the snow is right, but that's true of a lot of places!
snow conditions
I can't work out where that lift is going. 10er gondola is quite substantial, but 1.2km of piste sounds like nothing more than an access link.
Quite a long distance to Hochzillertal though for a link.
Saying that I did wonder why they stuck an 8er lift at the very end of the Kaltenbach runs.

Never seen Talabfahrt 30 open. Having skied the Kaltenbach valley run, and heard the scraping of skiers going to the halfway point of the Zell am Ziller valley run to try to squeeze on the downlift (I've not been since the full valley run opened), it's not particularly high on my list of "must do" ski runs.
snow conditions
Last Christmas when I went to Mayrhofen they had the Kaltenbach valley run open until the bottom which was amazing considering there was a long dry spell before Christmas. It’s been closed once before when I’ve been and that was March time.
It was good last year even with the artificial snow the Ahorn valley run in Mayrhofen was quite good as well considering it was all man made.
The Zell am Ziller valley run piste-no 10 I think it is, I skied for the first time last winter as it was new then and that was good too-although I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners/timid intermediates-they are better off getting the gondola down.

I think ski route 30 is one to do in good snow conditions yes that is probably why it’s not open very often.

Maybe it shall be this Christmas week so I can have a dabble myself
As you probably worked out I’m not very fussy as long as it’s got some snow of some kind on it I will ski it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SaraJ, I do enjoy a visit to the Kristallhutte
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I liked Kristalhütte a lot when it first opened, but now it always seems to be busy. I prefer Platzlalm - it doesn't have the views but the food and the ambience are good.
snow conditions
@SaraJ, yes it is busy in there and even more so since it’s been done out
I like my lunch early though so I’m normally in somewhere about 12 o’clock, that way I miss the crowds and I’m out skiing again while the majority are having their lunch.
I don’t like busy restaurants where you can’t find a seat and people are trying to squeeze past you all the time I don’t enjoy it
ski holidays
@SaraJ, what's the development behind the Kristallhutte? Is that the big new chair?
snow report
@Bennyboy1, The Hirschbichllift has been there for a couple of years now and rumour has it that there will be a restaurant built around there. Then there will be something to replace the old 4-chair (Krössbichlbahn) eventually.
Like I said, I don't think it will link in the next year or so, but I think it will eventually.
latest report
Webcams in zillertal arena are beginning to look snowy. Yay.
snow conditions
@speachmaus, great I was thinking last night I will check them tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
They had snow cannons working on the Ahorn this morning. Testing?
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, there is rather more white stuff than cannons produce now. I’d say 5-10 cm.
snow report
@kevinraine, warm couple of days coming then cold again next weekend. I assume they have been testing whilst temp was low. But yes a lot of natural snow out there today.
snow report
Cannons have been turned on today. Ahorn for most of the day and this evening Penken on. Very Happy
snow report
Nice. Woild that be a sign they will turn them on in the other fields in the valley too?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy