Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, intermediate/advanced Aussie on the way to ski Kaprun just before Christmas - any tips appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the snow is good, get over to Zell on the bus. There is only really a days worth of skiing on the Glacier, well worth going though. The skiing on the Schmittenhoe is far better, more varied and the there loads more Huttes to stop for lunch at. Wonderful place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much [/spoiler]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out the Zell am See website. It has a superb interactive map for all 3 areas and with a bit of research you can really plan where to go. I've never stayed in Kaprun but Zell is well worth the short bus ride. The town is beautiful alongside the lake.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great - much appreciated
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Devils playground, it's been a while since I was last in Kaprun, but the village has a nice feel to it and the skiing can be excellent if the conditions are good. As with all glaciers, being at 3000m in a whiteout at -30 on a featureless mountainside with high winds isn't much fun, and the number of drag lifts necessitated by the moving ice will be higher than in other places, but when the sky is clear and there has been fresh snow it can be wonderful, and the views from the top are stunning. Bear in mind that the uplift is constrained - your ticket allows one ascent per day if memory serves, so getting to the top and then discovering that you've left something behind is painful. That also means that there's a rush to get up first thing in the morning, and then a rush to get down again at the end of the day, and virtually nothing in between. There is no run from top to bottom - skiing starts at ~2000m, so once you are up you'll be there all day.

The Maiskogel in the centre of Kaprun is really a learner area - it's a great run for developing confidence and progressing to reds, but you'll probably not want to be on there at all unless you want to sneak in an hour at the end of arrival day if your timings allow.

The bus to Zell takes ~10 minutes and will drop you either at the Areitbahn or at the bus station in the centre of town, a short walk away from the CityXpress lift. Both are busy at peak times, but not excessively so. The Zell area has a lot to recommend it - very scenic, good runs down the ridges and through trees, and the black runs into the central bowl are very good. Late buses run back to Kaprun, or a taxi will not be very expensive unless you're on your own.

Kaprun has a number of good bars and restaurants, and there's no real need to leave the village in the evening, but a trip into Zell is worthwhile. Kaprun also has the Tauernspa, which is one of the top spas in Austria and well worth visiting.

If the weather has been cold enough for long enough, the lake at Zell freezes over, and it becomes possible to walk across it. The path is marked with pine branches, and it is a great way to see the city and the mountains as well as experience something unusual. However, if the path is not clearly signed as open, do not walk on the ice...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's an awesome amount of info - cheers 🍻
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Bear in mind that the uplift is constrained - your ticket allows one ascent per day if memory serves

What do you mean? Is that a constraint on a specific type of ski pass or what?

Quote:

If the weather has been cold enough for long enough, the lake at Zell freezes over, and it becomes possible to walk across it. The path is marked with pine branches, and it is a great way to see the city and the mountains as well as experience something unusual. However, if the path is not clearly signed as open, do not walk on the ice...

Damn, that sounds amazing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@motig, from http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/skiing-resort/tickets-prices/winter/day-tickets-ski-passes

Quote:
Please note: The ski pass includes one glacier trip daily. For more trips, please make reservations in advance on your first trip.

Your pass allows you to go on the lift up to the glacier area once per day. If you go up in the cable car, come down to the valley bottom again, and then try to go up again, your pass will not be permitted through the barriers until you have paid for an additional journey. This is not really an issue, as you go from 900m to 2100m to reach the ski area, then stay above 2100m for the rest of the day. Only the initial uplift is limited - all other lifts are included in your pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Walking on the lake is excellent if the weather is clear - we had heavy snowfall, so the view wasn't quite as good:

Walking on the See at Zell
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of info there @ousekjarr we were lucky enough to go to Zell am See last season,
and we were even luckier that the lake froze hard enough to be opened up for walkers and skaters on our going home transfer day.

I'm sure someone said it was the first time it had frozen in 4 years though Sad

At the Kaprun Gletcher there are two fast gondolas up to the middle station from the valley floor now, (the last time I went before there was a train, God rest their souls).

Kaprun village had grown considerably since I was last there ... Its a resort town in its own right now.
I'm particularly fond of the Pavillon Apres Ski Bar.
That place has grown considerably as well, it was like the Tardis.

We could do with a place like that in Royston.

Also worth a trip,
Take the train from Zell to Leogang then ski over into Saalbach.

I'm not sure when it will open but a lift is being built to take you back to Zell am See again.
Thats would be a good day out, and I think the lift pass covers it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @ousekjarr, we had it brilliant sunny all week, but I'm blessed Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good tips 🥂
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
At the Kaprun Gletcher there are two fast gondolas up to the middle station from the valley floor now, (the last time I went before there was a train, God rest their souls).
Yes - at the bottom station there's a sad and moving memorial to the 155 people who were killed in the 2000 funicular fire. Especially sobering after my numerous trips on it...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/ChRKJjb_i-g

http://youtube.com/v/ZeBuU6eZKvk

http://youtube.com/v/clJzEJYAg1w

http://youtube.com/v/cWofOwvblu8

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 14-11-17 22:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
🍻free rider Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Another Kaprun Clip ...

http://youtube.com/v/5gKGg9pXctE
snow report
Quote:

Take the train from Zell to Leogang then ski over into Saalbach.

I'm not sure when it will open but a lift is being built to take you back to Zell am See again.

See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3091638&highlight=saalbach+zell#3091638
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
The Maiskogel in the centre of Kaprun is really a learner area - it's a great run for developing confidence and progressing to reds, but you'll probably not want to be on there at all unless you want to sneak in an hour at the end of arrival day if your timings allow.

Having skied there for the first time last season, I have enjoyed days at the Maiskogel area and the upper area, the Almbahn runs, is certainly not for beginners. It is a small area but I think it is good for a day's skiing, if you want to try another area (and worth going there before it becomes part of the planned lift link to the Kitzsteinhorn in 2019/20 and is no longer a quieter backwater).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy