Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski bag!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we’re looking to buy a decent ski bag that fits two pairs of skis and a decent amount of clobber too. Flying with BA so the ski bag is part of our luggage allowance and we’re trying to avoid paying for an extra bag. Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Da Kine Fall line. Will take two sets of skis, poles, 1 set of boots and plenty of space for more. Added benefit is that it’s wheeled too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 Da Kine fall line had mine about 6 years now without any problems and never any issues when flying with BA.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Da Kine fall line but I got one that is too long, I think the next size down was just too small, this makes the handle end a bit floppy such that it has to be held quite high before the wheels actually touch the floor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like my Db and it meets your criteria. BA apparently likes it too, they try to keep it about half the time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a Douchebag which I've only actually used once. It's good and has the advantage of being able to roll it up out of the way. It's about 4kg.

Some folk seem very happy with the Decathlon offering which is a lot cheaper:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bag-for-4-skis-3-snowboards-900-grey/_/R-p-156416?mc=8398284&c=grey)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@surferrosa, think about what you want from it . If its for only 2 pairs of skis and some clothes which all end up not weighing too much then think about non-wheeled as they are cheaper, lighter to begin with and less cumbersome to lug around airports and train stations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for the Dakine fall line for this purpose. As @tangowaggon says, don't get one too much longer than your skis. Also bear in mind that 23kg of ski bag is much more awkward to handle than the same weight in a suitcase.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@surferrosa, Have a look at Snokart bags.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve got a new DB still in packaging, never used, black roll-up double roller type. Open to reasonable offers. Always drive now so don’t use or need it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's another hot tip, when you move outside the airport carry your wheeled bad instead of pulling it behind you because all it takes is a transfer driver in a rush to ruin the start of your holiday... Don't ask how I know Laughing Was better it was my bag than a child I guess!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That sounds a bit more dramatic than when the bag sweeps up other people when you haul it around corners and it acts like an articulated lorry.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want qyality, Dakine is the way to go. They will last you trip after trip.

But they're not light, and are you really going to be able to get two sets of gear (even with hand luggage) in 23kg. And BA weigh more often than not now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BigJin wrote:

But they're not light, and are you really going to be able to get two sets of gear (even with hand luggage) in 23kg. And BA weigh more often than not now.

All the ski kit for two people, maybe not. But 2 sets of skis, boots, poles plus some ski clothes, yes. And a second hold bag plus BA's ludicrously generous hand luggage allowance should make it a doddle for 2 people to pack everything needed for a week or two.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a big blue Thule one. It’s nice quality and fits 2 pair and some stuff
snow report
Thanks all, will check out the suggestions. We're travelling as a family of four, so will have 3 large suitcases and the ski bag. The ski bag doesn't need to fit tons of stuff, but would like to get a few bits in. We each have 10kg hand luggage allowance too so I'm hoping we'll manage. Manoeuvrability of the ski bag is key though as we're probably getting the train to Gatwick which means a change at St Pancras.
snow report
@surferrosa, That allowance will be more than enough. We're the same size familly (and take 4 pairs of skis), always overpack and never get near the allowance.

Yes, be mindful of where you'll be taking that bag. UK train stations are not great for large and unweldy luggage (narrow passageways, lifts out of order etc.) . Alternatively you could look at those services that deliver all you luggage to the airport and check them in, I know BA have a link up with

https://airportr.com/en/ba/
snow conditions
@ster, I've just looked into that service but seems we live too far away Puzzled (Nottingham)
ski holidays
@surferrosa, unfortunate.

But as I always try to practice, don’t take what you can’t carry. Maybe just as well, as you never know when you need to lug it all around yourself. What are you doing at the other end, transfer?

If you are organised there are services that can deliver all the way to you destination. But if you’ve paid for check in already, you’ll be doubling up.
snow conditions
@surferrosa, if you're planning on taking the ski bag on the train, try and make sure it will fit in an overhead luggage rack. Otherwise you may struggle to fit it anywhere where it isn't in the way.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, Yeah good point. Does anyone know if the Dakine fall line would fit into the overhead rack on a train? We may still end up driving to the airport but with two adults and two teens plus luggage (and skis) it's a squeeze. And the train actually works out cheaper taking into account parking and fuel.
snow report
@surferrosa, if they are teens then they should be able to help carry appropriately sized bags.

You’ll be fine on the train, even if someone has to stand with the ski bag in the door space or between carriages (its a big intercity isnt it?) . I wouldn’t worry about it.
snow report
Standard Dakine Roller ski bag will fit in UK train/Eurostar etc overhead rack.
latest report
I've got the Thule Round Trip bag and am very happy with it. The stuff bags that come with it and protect the ski tips are a useful feature. I travel with my ski clothes and boots separately in a Amazon basics boot bag nowadays, as the ski bag once missed the plane (too full and they ditch the oversize first) and I missed the first day on the mountain.
ski holidays
I have a Fall Line and they work well. I'm not sure if baggage handlers have mellowed, but my current one is lasting pretty well. I'm lugging snowboards, but assuming you have the right length bag... it's all the same. If you want to style it a bit more Dakine also have hard sided bags these days, which look pretty sweet but weigh more than the soft sided stuff.

Don't get a bag which is bigger than your skis, or it'll sag in a way which makes it harder to wheel. As someone said.

Dunno about St Pancras precisely, but you may want to look for lifts rather than escalators on TfL etc.

Carry boots in carry-on baggage or risk them not turning up...

(I have a Thule Chasm carry-on bag and that's neat and efficient, haven't tried their other stuff.)
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
BigJin wrote:

All the ski kit for two people, maybe not. But 2 sets of skis, boots, poles plus some ski clothes, yes. And a second hold bag plus BA's ludicrously generous hand luggage allowance should make it a doddle for 2 people to pack everything needed for a week or two.

Ahh, gotcha! I thought you were trying to get away with one hold ski bag total between two, not two bags, one of which id a skibag.

For interest, my skis, poles, boots, and ski bag goes about 14 kg, or 17 kg if I take my other heavier skis instead. So even with hand luggage I am right on the limit by the time clothes are included!
snow report
We have a Dakine Low Roller and it fits -
2 x sets of all mountain skis and bindings

2 x sets of boots. Largest 27.5

2 x sets of poles

2x helmets

Comes in at 22.8kg. We’ve used it multiple times with no issues.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I've got a Douchebag which I've only actually used once. It's good and has the advantage of being able to roll it up out of the way. It's about 4kg.

Some folk seem very happy with the Decathlon offering which is a lot cheaper:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bag-for-4-skis-3-snowboards-900-grey/_/R-p-156416?mc=8398284&c=grey)

This is what I have dragged it through many airports and railway stations over the last 5 years or so. Good value for money, Why pay more? It's just a bag on wheels......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dakine bags on sale on sportspursuit.com today
latest report
Sorry to jump on this, Anyone had any issues with longer bags? Swiss quote 2 metres and 190 Dakine fall line is 203 and boundary 208?

Really fancy one of those but may have to look at a DB light as it rolls up.
snow report
@oldmike, I don’t think they issue tape measures to the check-in desks or third party bunch who check in oversized. Just don’t buy the bags with the length conspicuously printed on the side wink

But seriously never had one measured, only weighed, and thats on BA, EJ and Swiss
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@oldmike, I don’t think the issue tape measures to the check-in desks or third party bunch who check in oversized. Just don’t buy the bags with the length conspicuously printed on the side wink

But seriously never had one measured, only weighed, and thats on BA, EJ and Swiss

Thanks Ster reassuring Smile
snow report
Has anyone used the Dakine fall line HARD shell? I just got it delivered today and it is MASSIVE!
Consider to return it and getting the soft shell.
snow report
DB Djarv lightweight snowroller.
snow report
At risk of highjacking the thread (if it hasn't been already), has anyone got experience of Decathlon's single ski bags like this one?

I'm typically transporting either a single pair of skis or two pairs but with bindings removed, and find a full coffin bag awkward to handle and stow (I'm often on trains etc). Have been using a very basic bag with no wheels and just a pair of handles, but wondering whether it's worth getting one with wheels. I don't want too much extra weight as I will need to carry it (plus other luggage) up and down stairs, across train stations etc.
snow report
@mgrolf, I haven’t used the Decathlon bag but I’ve carried skis in both wheeled and unwheeled, and if you are only carrying one pair or two flat pairs I’d stay with an unwheeled bag. Especially for where you say you are carrying it. The wheeled bags are heavy and unwieldy and are only useful when carrying a lot of weight.
ski holidays
BigJin wrote:
If you want qyality, Dakine is the way to go. They will last you trip after trip.

Just done a test pack
2x skis
2x sets of Poles
2x dakine helipro 20l
2x helmets
2x goggles
2x gloves
And 1 full set of ski gear incloluding socks baselayers midlayers and outer layers

Comes in at 22kg

That gives 24kg in another bag and 2x hand luggage backpacks that easily fit boots and a full set of ski wear each.

Tbh for a week we are going to have plenty of spare room
latest report
@ster, I'd agree about the typical wheeled double ski bag being unwieldy. I guess I'm wondering about the trade off between extra weight and the convenience of wheels on a smaller bag. Typically I'll have ~15kg of luggage in a north face base camp duffel (or similar), plus hand luggage (with my boots in it if I'm flying) and skis which come in at about 12kg if I've got 2 pairs. I'm not exactly big nor strong so it all adds up and I've found that carrying 2 bags plus skis over a distance can be awkward.
snow report
@mgrolf, I haven't used the single pair bag but I can say that the build quality on the Decathlon 4 pair bag is excellent, we've got 2, had them for 6 years, and friends have also used them so they should be battered but apart from the odd scuff they've survived really well....
ski holidays
Does anyone know how much the 4 ski/3 board Decathlon 900 bag weighs in at ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy