Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate skier, skiing well within abilities, do I need expensive hire skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm an intermediate skier. Used to ski a lot of off piste on my own skis, these days I ski on piste reds and blacks, well within my abilities. Is there any point in me hiring anything but the basic level skis from the hire shop, as long as I get them in a decent length and decent DIN settings?

Most of the good skiers I've skied with in the past were skiing on skis at varied levels of knackeredness and doing ok on them. I figure I may as well save myself a few quid and go for the cheapest option from the hire shop.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kramer, cheap crappy skis will behave like cheap crappy skis.

Sounds miserable to me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, in what way?

And what was your old name, so I can gauge the quality of the advice that you're offering me? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose it comes down to what is available - and the condition and tune of the skis.

As they are hired, you can change or upgrade if necessary.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I think you would want something better than the basic - just not necessarily top end.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But aren't the cheaper/bronze/4* skis just the same as the more expensive/silver/5* skis, just that they've already been rented out a few more times and so the top sheets are a bit more knackered?

In which case as long as the bases and edges are ok, and the bindings work, wouldn't I just be paying a bit more for vanity.

I skied my old Missions into the ground. I never once felt that they held my skiing back particularly, even when they were really tired at the end of their life.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any time I have rented - which is not that much - it has been the case, that as you move up the price bracket, the more advanced the skis get.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 20-12-23 18:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kramer, I'd not go for the basic grade, because they'd likely to be too soft. I know your skiing a little, and unless you are skiing well, well, well within your ability level you'd probably overpower the skis when making longer radius turns. It won't be a night and day difference, but a more competent ski would feel more secure underneath you at higher speeds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More expensive skis aren't just newer than the cheap ones. They were more expensive skis to start with.

So what did you buy when you owned your own skis? The cheapest you could find or did you take a bit of time and buy something appropriate to your skill and aspirations?

Hire skis are broadly the same so if you were happy with any old noodly rubbish when you owned then crack on and hire the cheapest you can find.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
But aren't the cheaper/bronze/4* skis just the same as the more expensive/silver/5* skis, just that they've already been rented out a few more times and so the top sheets are a bit more knackered?

In which case as long as the bases and edges are ok, and the bindings work, wouldn't I just be paying a bit more for vanity.

I skied my old Missions into the ground. I never once felt that they held my skiing back particularly, even when they were really tired at the end of their life.

No, they aren't the same. They are (very likely) more substantial, more...ski. Agree with the comment that the cheapies will be too soft (the mid-price ones might be also, especially if you are over, say 180#). Flex the options they give to you, and leave the noodles (likely) and the I-beams (unlikely except at top price point) in the shop, and ski something in between. If you don't like how they ski (not unusual), bring 'em back right away and get something else (or have them checked to ensure they are in proper condition as sometimes they are not).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
@Kramer, I'd not go for the basic grade, because they'd likely to be too soft. I know your skiing a little, and unless you are skiing well, well, well within your ability level you'd probably overpower the skis when making longer radius turns. It won't be a night and day difference, but a more competent ski would feel more secure underneath you at higher speeds.

Last year was my first year on rental skis. I did find them a bit soft, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that I'd stupidly gone from 180cm to 16?cm skis (I was in a hurry in the shop), and it took a few days to get used to them. I've got to admit they were a little hairy going full send into powder off the side of the piste and I was overpowering them a little, but I put that down to their shortness rather than their flexibility.

These days I just don't tend to ski stuff where I'm putting loads of energy into my skis. It's all pretty much straight down the fall line lazy carving.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've also always been very much a "ski what you've got" type skier.

I've tried all sorts of skis, from race skis right the way through to massive fats. After a run or two as long as they're not awful skis I've just got used to them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy