Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - August (Glacier Skiing)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Les Deux Alpes in August for a few days avec family.

Thought we would try a few days skiing on the glacier...certainly should be a novelty at the very least.

Has anyone any ideas re what ski wear to take, not sure if we go same as winter as its pretty high, or less??

Also any general advice, good or bad on what to expect.

I chose LDA as it seems to have quite a bit going on, and a variety of non skiing activities in the afternoon, so ski am, cycle / swim, etc pm.

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm heading back next week after spending some time back in UK. Weather can vary enormously up there from winter like to warm and sunny. To a lesser extent in resort too. Big mountain bike scene and loads of other activities going on. Hiking, biking, toboganing, rafting, tennis, golf, climbing, bathing lake/beach, swimming pool, squash etc etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the glacier has melted mate
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LDA webcams: http://www.les2alpes.com/en/webcams.html

The glacier slopes at 3400metres are looking decidedly poor at the moment, at the moment in the height of Summer I expect every day it'll get a bit worse. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not expecting much, but if it's white or whiteish, I'll give it a go.

Worst case, I'll have a lie in and check out the various activities in the rest of the resort

Judging by the webcams, I'll go for the usual ski attire

Thanks for the replies
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've always felt snow is an essential part of skiing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No worries mate, easy mistake to make for those of us more cerebrally challenged. Laughing

Just go back to the Webcams, click on the higher webcam @ 3400M, (awfully high I know) and wait for it, don't get too confused by the different pictures, try and click on 10:00, (Top Tip:that's the time of day) and Voila, Skiers Skiing on Snow!

** I would have included the pic, but i'm too much of a numbnut to work it out...d'oh**
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a rough year for their summer skiing

Was there in April and the locals were saying the glacier was a good 1m+ down on normal
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"....try and click on 10:00...." Crickey - a T-bar in France !?!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
Crickey - a T-bar in France

What kind of lift would you expect to see on a glacier ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cisco43, Whatever, don't blame us if it isn't very good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blimey. Last snow in April according to the website....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last snow 25th July at 3200m

@dobby think you were at village level (1650m)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skitrack, you're right - didn't click the correct altitude button...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:
albob wrote:
Crickey - a T-bar in France

What kind of lift would you expect to see on a glacier ?

in France? a Poma (or cant they be used on Glaciers?)
snow report
Pomas (if you mean button lifts) can be used I think. Glaciers move so you cannot put in the big foundations needed for chair and cable car lifts, I think. If I'm wrong i'm sure someone will say something
snow conditions
dobby wrote:
.....Glaciers move so you cannot put in the big foundations.....

Makes perfect sense (every day is a learning day...!)
snow report
@albob, A single person button lift has a much bigger base pylon mechanism than a t-bar. I would expect it to sink into the ice faster, even if you used guy-wires to keep it upright.

I think that Poma the company makes t-bars too.
snow report
Quote:

A single person button lift has a much bigger base pylon mechanism than a t-bar

@rjs, why? (I have never paid attention) - that sort of seems counter-intuitive?
ski holidays
cisco43 wrote:

** I would have included the pic, but i'm too much of a numbnut to work it out...d'oh**

let us know how you get on, it will certainly be a novelty

ski holidays
I've just got back after a few weeks away. Although I've no intention of skiing, frankly there are better things to do in summer, it is quite shocking to see the state of the glacier on the Muzelle from my balcony 😯 It's 30C in resort today which is very hot for 1650m.
latest report
Seeing some unbelievable pictures from tignes too.

When are you off @cisco43?
snow report
@moseyp, You prompted me to have a look at the Tignes webcam, looks dire. Sad
latest report
Would have been closed I imagine
snow report
It must be bad in Tignes at the moment. The Val d'Isere and Tignes ski club were training last week - in the Netherlands.
snow report
Hintertux looks in better condition

http://www.bergfex.com/hintertux/webcams/c256/ (camera 1)

===============================

Areas of Europe are currently experiencing severe high temperatures - they have pinched our summer, curse Brexit..!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4163470/weather-warnings-issued-to-brit-tourists-as-heat-wave-sweeps-across-europe-from-spain-and-italy-to-croatia-with-temperatures-set-to-reach-42c/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 4-08-17 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
It must be bad in Tignes at the moment. The Val d'Isere and Tignes ski club were training last week - in the Netherlands.

at the start of the summer season the French national team were training... in the Jura on bikes. I suppose they've gone to South America now.
snow report
@albob, The bit nearest to the camera in your picture isn't snow, it is white fabric.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, That's cheating !!! Smile
snow report
I understand that the glacier will be closed for skiing for the next 4 days for repairs to the pistes Confused
ski holidays
No help for August but they are going to be busy installing cannons on the glacier to start running early in October. Should help for Toussaint, early winter and next summer. First cannons on a glacier according to the French report I read. Sign of the times 😯
snow report
Doesn't surprise me I'm amazed they've not got cannons up there already. Was looking the worst I've seen it last week before they had that dusting on Friday.
snow report
I've just spent the last five days training on the glacier with tiptop ski coaching (it was excellent!) - thought some photos might be of interest...

The three taken from the t-bar are up above 3200m. The second image is of the lanes used by race clubs and the like, the third is the open practice area, looking over towards the jumps/park type stuff. They were taken at about 11am, snow was soft by that point, but perfectly skiable. The last one is the view up from the top of the Jandri express, taken about 8am. The diagonal line in the snow cutting across the lift route is a stream. There's a few of these on the way up. Easy enough to hop over on skis, but I saw quite a few snowboarders taking a chilly bath. Smile

latest report
Yes, it has improved quite a bit with the recent snow.

I cycled up to the mountain restaurant from the valley around August 1993 and the glacier came right the way up to the restaurant steps which were partially buried in snow. It is certainly shrunk since then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy