Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to for a quickie?

Poster: A snowHead
I can see myself having a few short breaks this season - I can work when I want so can do midweek etc., but w/e may be better if I can find a buddy!

One of the main issues is transfer time.

So, which resorts with sensibly priced 'by the day' accommodation with decent transfer options max 1.5hrs from the normal airports?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We might be able to help you ).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@martinm, might be worth booking your flights now (cheapie cheap cheap) then seeing nearer the time where you can get a good deal and there's good snow.

Last season we were flying in/out of Birmingham on Thursday evening/monday morning for c€25 each way.

If the snow is poor or you can't go that weekend then €50 lost on flights isn't the end of the World.

Ok that ties you to one airport (GVA in our case) but even so an hour and a half from GVA there's loads of potential options (Les gets, morzine, avoriaz, morillon, samoens, les carroz, flaine, chamonix, megeve, st gervais, les contamines, loads of little "French" resorts no one has heard of which are delightful for a weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Marcellus. The buggerance factor is if you are going alone otherwise all those resorts are accessible.

Innsbruck close to many Austrian resorts and has it own mountains too. Flights maybe not so frequent. Milan for Italian Alps

I have been by myself to Chamonix as lots of accomodation options. MountainSun Ltd do a good package and the single supplement not too steep. About three hour transfer and you do not ski the first day. Benefit of Chamonix and Tignes is that I can do a some guided off-piste.

Can ValueSkiBreaks cater for singletons at a reasonable price?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
UCPA - https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/ Fairly flexible and good prices. Plus no problem if you're on your own.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@martinm, yeah, book airports now.

If you aren't tied to office hours then that makes life much, much easier and opens out options. If you are tied to office hours then Geneva is pretty much optimised for weekends/short breaks in terms of volumes of late evening flights in and outbound. I guess you're flying out of Bristol?

You then have to consider:

- availability of transfers or public transport esp. if on your own unless you want to hire a car

- availability of accommodation (many places still like weekly bookings, at least around here (Geneva))

Note also that e.g. Geneva gives you lots of different areas to go to and the snowfall can often be quite valley specific - so options always good. An airport servicing one (easy to get to) area could be tricky.

(N.B. Chamonix is not 3 hours from GVA it is 1 hour. Tignes, however, is - by transfer - and is where MountainSun are based).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, from Bristol.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@martinm, that restricts you a little. The EasyJ GVA service is pretty good I believe?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not try Cervinia??

Cheaper than france, 2hr flight from London to Turin with early and late flight times, 1.5hr transfer by bus or cheap car hire.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, Only Italy flights from Bristol are to Venice per SkySca...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, That's why I said from London wink

I hadn't seen the Bristol bit until I posted Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PaulC1984, easily done, done same many times Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, nothing like making a Tw@ of ones self in public Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, easily done, done same many times Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@martinm, We are running a cheeky weekend trip in March to Morgins in the Portes du Soleil http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/morgins.html

Flights into GVA and a short transfer..
snow conditions
There are direct flights from Bristol on Fridays and Sundays to/from Innsbruck - though the Sunday flights back are too early to be much use for a ski trip. If you're happy going via AMS or similar on the way back it would work well though. Always easy to find weekend accommodation in the city and public transport to the local resorts is easy. If you're doing a number of trips could even be worth looking into the Snow Card Tirol season pass?

Also easy to jump on a train (1 hour) to St Anton or Kitzbühel (etc) - depending on availability of in-resort you could do that every day while staying in the city, or head straight up after your flight and stay in resort.
latest report
@clarky999, I would argue that any indirect flights make cheeky weekends useless for the time constrained... but if you aren't M-F/9-5...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@clarky999, I would argue that any indirect flights make cheeky weekends useless for the time constrained... but if you aren't M-F/9-5...

Depends really. Direct Bristol - IBK at 7am is ideal, but the direct flight back leaves at 11am on Sunday. Personally I'd rather take the 8pm indirect flight back - 1/1.5 hours extra on the journey back wouldn't make too much difference to me (journey out is a different matter).
snow report
Just a thought re Innsbruck-I think it can be one of those airports that closes relatively easily if the weather comes in. Mr P experienced this on a short break a few years ago and they ended up being diverted to Munich, then had a bus back to Innsbruck to collect the hire car and drive up to Obergurgl. A right old PIA.

Just looked at Sleazyjet from Bristol-if you can get away in time for the 17.50pm Friday night flight-there's a Sunday return just after 9pm. That means a full ski day on Sunday before heading back home is poss.If you can't do the Friday night, you still can get an early Saturday flight and with a hire car, and the right resort, be on the slopes for mid/late morning. Easily done, especially if you can manage hand baggage only (all you need is to squeeze boots into carry on, helmet on side, socks, undies and ski trews, wear the rest of your kit). Not quite as speedy if you take your own skis, but then you can avoid the ski hire faff at the other end I suppose.

We have done the same many times, skiing mainly in Les Carroz and taking the 9.30pm flight back to Gatwick. The resort is bang on an hour from GVA. Stayed at the Milk Hotel which is nice, piste side and certainly takes shorter breaks. I think they may help on the ski hire front too and I am sure reviews of the hotel say they can arrange for kit to be delivered to the hotel itself.
ski holidays
Have you thought about flying directly to Munich? If you hire a car, there are plenty of resorts within 2-3 hours. That's what I am planning on doing for a fri-sun trip in early December. Still figuring out which resort I prefer (Kitz?), but will probably let the weather decide where we go.
snow conditions
Sorry can't let the title go - answer - round the back of the Father Crocker Hall!!!!!!
ski holidays
Obertuern from Salzburg.......... lots of flights there and its about an hour and a half
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Sorry can't let the title go - answer - round the back of the Father Crocker Hall!!!!!!

Thanks god for that - all this talk about skiing had me confused Cool
latest report
Don't get hung up about the transfer. For a short break hire a car and drive yourself. You will do in 2 hours what a bus does in 3 and will open up a whole lot more choice.

Especially for a short break, it's all about getting the very best snow and apres.
snow conditions
Good place for a 'quickie' was always behind the bike sheds!!!! lol
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy