Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya I'm looking for some advice, I'm going to see my brother who lives in Denver in January. He doesn't ski/board so i'm going on my own but I am wanting to visit a good Colorado resort that I can get to from Denver. I am an intermediate level boarder and was looking to travel Sunday night and come back to Denver Saturday morning giving me 5 solid days. I have always wanted to go to Jackson Hole in Wyoming and see that is easy to get to with a short flight from Denver, should I go local to Denver in Colorado or fly to Jackson Hole and if Colorado which resorts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The primary attribute that sets Jackson Hole apart from other resorts is its expansive array of expert terrain. It is also spendy. For you, as a self-described intermediate, there is no reason for you to leave Colorado to go there. The Front Range resorts (Breck, Keystone, Copper etc.) would be great for you. No need to go further on to Vail or Aspen unless you want to; they aren't iconic for nothing but both would increase your travel time and cost. You could get a car and sample as many as you wish, or take a shuttle to one and park yourself there.

Everyone reacts to high altitude differently, but like you I live near sea level and every time I go to CO I get The Headache. Stay hydrated and don't drink until later in the week!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would look at Steamboat or Aspen. Steamboat best bet for early season conditions out of those two. The I70 hills will be more crowded.
Edit. Wolf Creek would be a good shout too. All a bit further from Denver but all will deliver an excellent experience.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jddt77, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If you don't want to rent a car (which you won't be using much if at all once you're in resort) then you might care to consider going to Winter Park as there is a train service from Union Station in the centre of Denver that goes to Winter Park. The train service runs on Saturday and Sunday, leaving Denver at 7am arriving Winter Park 9am and returns from Winter Park at 4:30pm arriving in Denver at 6:40pm. So you'd need to travel to Winter Park on the Sunday morning rather than the evening and return to Denver Saturday evening, I don't know if that feasible for you?

A bit more info here: https://www.winterparkresort.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/winter-park-express
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you , yes I did read that Jackson is more for advanced. I didn’t factor in the altitude so will take that into consideration. I was originally thinking of Breckenridge but have read it is very crowded, I’ll have a look at the others near Denver too. I don’t really want to hire a car so will look to just stay in one place for 4/5 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jddt77 wrote:
I don’t really want to hire a car so will look to just stay in one place for 4/5 days.

In that case the train to Winter Park could be a good option if you can manage travelling out on the Sunday morning and back on the Saturday evening....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
While it is true that the Front Range resorts are more crowded, the OP is boarding Monday-Friday so it shouldn't be an issue. The exception would be the week of January 15, where that Monday is MLK holiday and plenty of folks take a few extra days off.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I'd not worry about crowding myself, unless you pick some monster peak holiday or something. I like Winter park, especially riding the moguls. Park snowboarders maybe would avoid that, which may make other places more attractive to them. I wasn't aware Winter Park was train accessible; I've always hired and driven (ok for that distance from DEN with UK jet lag...), but for a solo traveller train would be interesting too. If you're mobile you can take your pick of where to go, or wait until you know where precisely the snow's best and go there.

Jackson Hole is quite hard to get to from the UK - I at least need a layover. So being a single internal flight away is definitely an opportunity... but if you've not ridden the I70 resorts then it makes no sense to me to not do those first,.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steamboat or Winter Park both v good (as mentioned), and given what you say about your riding and not wanting to hire a car ideal. If at WP make sure you stay at the base, not the town or it's a bus x2 per day. If you don't like full-on moguls, avoid WP - it has plenty, and they are large/a challenge whatever level you are.
I'd also consider Copper... easier to get to than Steamboat (which has the best snow and intermediate terrain IMHO) and good base/options/everything.

Jackson - you need to tack that onto Utah. And again, IMHO unless you've skied/snowboarded lots, it will be a bit... ummmmmmppphhh scary challenge. If you can tackle any double diamond in any resort without worrying too much, that's the time for Jackson.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vail.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everyone is different; what they feel; what they are after on a snowboard... but I did not hugely enjoy Breck or Vail. I know, I know, lots of people love them - that's why they are so busy, but once was enough for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spent a season in Colorado working at Snowmass as a young adult and since I have started skiing again a few years back, I've visited at last once a year. Let me give you a quick rundown:

Personally, I think any resort will likely be fine snow-wise January, especially since I'm assuming you aren't going new years. I wouldn't worry too much about that (although Steamboat does very well and opened 100% over Christmas break when I was there last season, high snow year).

Summit County Resorts:
Copper / Breck / Keystone / A Basin
Nice thing here is that you can easily bus between resorts and there is a good amount to choose from. If you do an Epic pass you can do Breck and Keystone. Both are great intermediate resorts. Breck is busy, but weekdays in most of January past new years will be tolerable. A Basin is nice for a day and has it's own vibe. Haven't been to Copper yet, but it is laid out really well with each region of the resort corresponding to skills levels.
When I did it I stayed in Keystone pretty cheaply, walked to the lift (right past the condo where the first known COVID case of the pandemic in Colorado was staying while I was there last lol). Took bus to Breck and A Basin.
You could also look at staying in Frisco or Silverthorne for less money, but won't be next to the hill. Breck is a great town, but more expensive.
Breck and Keystone have some absolutely amazing intermediate cruisers. The ones at Breck are particularly beuatiful.

Eagle Country Resorts:
Vail / Beaver Creek:
You can fly here then take a shuttle from the airport ~45 min.
Vail is huge, expensive, and iconic. Beaver Creek is less huge (but still big) and expensive. Staying in Avon is the cheapest option and fairly convenient.
Vail is busy, Beaver Creek is not. Both are great intermediate destinations. Beaver Creek has always had better conditions when I am there.
There is a bus between the two resorts that takes 20-25min. Although if starts dumping snow at the end of the day in vail and a semi-jacknifes on I-70 it could be 2 hours (and a guy pees in the trash can).

Aspen Snowmass:
This is my favorite place to ski in Colorado. Aspen is of course iconic.
4 mountains linked by bus. Ajax out of the town of Aspen and Highlands not to far outside town are both steep and long. They have 0 beginner runs.
Butter milk by the airport is the easiest, smallest, and most boring mountain (although good terrain park)
Snowmass is off on its own 35 min by bus from the town of aspen. Nice village. Probably larger than the other 3 mountains combined. Less steep than ajax/highlands. Excellent intermediate mountain.
It is much less busy then other resorts in the state (Although harder to get to and more expensive). To give you an idea, I was there this year at spring break time (busy). We had a foot of snow overnight. The next day on a Saturday I was able to lap a black of the main lift from the base for 4 hours before having to catch my plane. I never once had to wait in a line except for first lift up and there was plenty of powder remaining when I left.

Steamboat:
You can fly here. Cool town (or so I'm told, I got COVID when I was there so spent half the trip in my hotel at the base lol). Not as busy as summit / eagle country resorts. Overall pretty mellow resort which I thought had a terrible layout. Got lots of snow which fortunately didn't start until I was able to leave my room. I was able to find a black the held powder for 1-2 days and continuously lap it with maybe a max 8 minute wait at the lift - if that's the worst it got over christmas break then that's pretty food. This place is famous for easy tree skiing. Less expensive options that aspen / vail.

Telluride:
I haven't been here yet, it's far off on its own and expensive. Looks awesome

Winter Park:
Haven't been here, but I've heard it gets busy due to being one of the closest resorts to Denver. Famous for moguls. Can take the train here at certain times.

Wolf Creek:
I saw someone mentions this so I thought I'd chime in - based on what you are saying this is definitely not a good option for you. No idea why it was mentioned.

I think what most are saying is correct, you probably don't need to go to Jackson Hole. I never rent a car on my trips, I fly in then take a shuttle from the airport to the resort. Get a place close enough to walk, and bus to other nearby resorts. Almost always ski Mon-Fri. like you are planning. Crowds should be tolerable weekdays, unless it's MLK day or new years week.
If I were you, I'd pick one of the multi resort options I mentioned. Depends on how you want to get there and how much you are willing to pay. If you don't know how ski passes work here, go look at Ikon and Epic pass websites and buy before prices go up.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excellent, accurate summation above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you don't want to hire a car winter park seems like the obvious choice.

Seems hard to justify going all the way to Jackson when Colorado has plenty of great stuff and you probably want to be a little more advanced to really make the most out of the Jackson terrain.

The only other thing to maybe consider is if you also plan to do a euro trip the same season. In which case it might be worth looking into an epic pass which could cover your Colorado and euro trip and maybe save some money.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165868

ski holidays
Just to add on, if you don't want to rent a car, there are tons of shuttle options to most of the major resorts from Denver airport. WinterPark is definitely not your only option. You can also fly in and then shuttle from multiple airports from Denver. Depends on your budget. I think there's a thing called the Bustang. I've never used though.
snow conditions
Summit County ski options will be best on price/regularity. Listing $75 one way for Copper/Keystone etc.
summitexpress.com/scheduled-shuttle-service
ski holidays
Hi all , thank you so much for the detailed replies they are much appreciated, unfortunately this trip has been put on hold for the time being as one of my dogs needs a big op which is going to cost a bit. I will still be going at some point so all of the info will certainly be used, thank you!
ski holidays
You can look for Keystone Resort. This is one of the best family-friendly resorts in Colorado, and it has the largest night skiing operation in the state.
ski holidays
@Jddt77, get pet insurance dawg!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy