Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

spending money

Poster: A snowHead
Right guys, Me, The wife and the 2 kids are off to Whistler in January. All the usual's are paid for, lift passes, hotels etc. Any suggestions on how much money to take to last 2 weeks, we're not big drinkers so it's more for eating out etc. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found prices v similar to here, pub prices could be had just like at home, and meals at anything from 5 quid to the very top end. Lots of choice both on and off mountain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mattjjohn, don't forget to add sales tax in shops and 20% tip in bars/restaurants
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mattjjohn, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I don't know if you've been to Canada before but if not remember that (as in the USA) it's customary to tip in restaurants 15-20%.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, do keep up wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone stayed in the Aava? Thanks for the spending advice too!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Alastair Pink, do keep up wink Laughing

Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mattjjohn, Booking restaurants at least 24/48 hours in advance especially on Fri/Sat/Sun is definitely recommended for a party of 4.

Depending on what you fancy (or what the kids fancy), you can spend anything from excellent large Pizza's at $1 slice, to $100+ per person.

You sometimes have to hunt for restaurants, as although there are many on the main strip, others are downstairs under the retail shops.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why would you be taking cash instead of credit cards/debit cards, please?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What he said, just get a credit card which doesn't rip you off and use that for everything. Cash is so 20th Century. Seriously, you can use your credit card for a Starbucks and no one blinks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mattjjohn, Agree on the credit card advice, Halifax Clarity card is generally rated as the best, the interest rate is done on the day of transaction, and there are not additional charges for purchases, but they do charge for cash withdrawals, I've used mine for the last 3-4 years without any issues, and with a FairFX prepaid card which I use for cash . I do set a rough budget for daily spend, and then average it out over the holiday, it helps to avoid running up a big bill for when you come home. Sorry I don't have any up to date info on prices in resort.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just preload a Revolut or similar. In terms of what to budget what you would for a high endish place in Europe. Vail now run the mountain so I'd expect to be heading toward the $20 burger plus sides extra. Can be better value to eat lunch in town. Certainly remember grabbing a Subway in Creekside and scoffing it in the gondy on the way back up to maximise ski time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffknight wrote:
Halifax Clarity card is generally rated as the best, the interest rate is done on the day of transaction, and there are not additional charges for purchases, but they do charge for cash withdrawals

Not abroad they don't
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#halifax
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd wrote:
geoffknight wrote:
Halifax Clarity card is generally rated as the best, the interest rate is done on the day of transaction, and there are not additional charges for purchases, but they do charge for cash withdrawals

Not abroad they don't
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#halifax

Well according to that link they don't charge a "fee" as such for cash withdrawal but they do charge you interest even if you pay it off in full on the next monthly payment date, so there is still a charge.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you pay off the withdrawal straight away on the mobile banking app no interest is accrued, so no there isn't a charge for withdrawals.
ski holidays
As said in the first reply there is a lot of choice with a range of costs. El furniture warehouse ("el furnies") do a $5 menu that is decent and the cheapest option for a sit down meal. There are the usual fast food options (KFC, McDonalds) at prices similar to UK. Sphagetti factory is good (around $15 for main which comes with unlimited bread, a soup or salad and ice cream). Then there is araxi, barefoot bistro etc. where you can spend silly money.

I thought food on the mountain was OK value ($10-15 can get you something substantial).

If you want to save some money, the restaurants on the mountain provide free boiling water, microwaves, cups, cutlery etc. Lots of people take their own hot chocolate/coffee sachets, cup-a-soup, pot noodle type things, supermarket food etc. and make do.

There are a lot of extras you could spend on (bobsleigh rides, skeleton rides, ziplining, etc.) so maybe worth considering these in the budget.
ski holidays
@hd, @Alastair Pink, That's exactly why I use the FairFX for cash withdrawals. Logging on every time to pay off a cash withdrawal is not user friendly.
snow report
Another vote for a Revolut card. Inter bank exchange rate on changing currency and free cash withdrawals up to a certain amount. Recommend.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes and @Grachen, thanks for the Revolut tip.
snow conditions
Agreed about Revolut can change pounds into whichever currency you like with a click of the button (at the current market rate), add in that it's fee free and it's a no brainer to me. Just used it today to buy my Magicpass.
snow report
hd wrote:
If you pay off the withdrawal straight away on the mobile banking app no interest is accrued, so no there isn't a charge for withdrawals.

Even if you only pay it off once at the end of the week a week's interest is still a damn site better than the fees changed by most other places.
latest report
I'd throw in to use a prepaid card, I have found those to the best rates of exchange rate, you can top them up pretty easily & quickly with a phone App. Examples I know of are Post Office, Caxton, etc.

Best X rates, no commission, no interest, but don't leave money on there if you are not intending to go back to spend that currency again for a long while.

Womble
snow conditions
the card info is all useful (I use Halifax Clarity), but @Mattjjohn was really asking about the cost of things so he can work out how much spending money he will need..... that might get lost along the way
ski holidays
I think there is a difference between "how much will I spend on lunches , dinners , drinks etc" where the answer might be c$1500 and "how much should I take in cash" where the answer might be c$100.
ski holidays
@muddewater, agreed but he asked "Any suggestions on how much money to take to last 2 weeks, we're not big drinkers so it's more for eating out etc. ". I read that as how much will I spend
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Well some of it is dependent on taste/behaviour. Dine it up in Christines on the hill everyday with Dinner at rimrock or Bearfoot every night could get pretty spendy. I'd say a family of 4 can easily spend $100 a day just on the hill without trying very hard or having "full lunch". Dinner with drinks probably at least the same. Obviously costs go down a bit if you get takeout pizza and pop from the supermarket a few times. So 14 days at least $3000 with on top for sundries, gifts, souvenirs and other activities. $5000 nearer the mark if its a budget and you don't want to think about every single purchase.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, indeed, it is an impossible question really. The OP could look online, find the restaurants and look at the menus to get a better idea (then add the tip)
ski holidays
@Mattjjohn, Others have made useful suggestions. I would say take whatever number you decide on, plus about 20% more. But then I've always been rubbish at budgeting; adhering to the 'Well - we are on holiday' ethos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mattjjohn, if kids are under 12 you will need £2500, if over 12, £3500.
ski holidays
Its expensive, try not to add it up as you spend!!!
snow report
Barclaycard have recently launched a platinum card with an offer until Aug 2022 where there are no fee's incurred abroad (including cash withdrawals and subsequent interest) providing you pay in full by due date. May be of use to some! Smile
snow report
When I read the thread title my first thought was 'get a wife and kids...they will do it for you.'
latest report
What's your hotel accommodation like? We stayed in Banff in the autumn in what was obviously a skiing hotel but we had a nice kitchen/dining area and a lounge area (I was impressed for the price - although it may be more expensive in peak season). If you have this sort of suite then you may even want to eat in from time to time, just because it's easier and everyone is tired. If you have to eat out then obviously, it's going to cost more. An eat-in takeaway of cheese nachos and poutine with some beer/wine for four will cost much the same as in a UK supermarket, perhaps add 25% for extras (say, £50-£60 in all?). Conversely, our most expensive restaurant meal on our anniversary in Jasper was about £120 for two.

I took £1,800 in Canadian dollars for two of us on a tailored package trip, over 2 weeks, and didn't have a lot left over, although I didn't use my plastic much. Bear in mind that also covered a fair amount of driving and consequent petrol fill-ups, plus entrance fees for attractions and mountain gondolas. Otherwise the spending profile would be similar in terms of paying for meals. We had three days of pre-paid, all-inclusive train excursion, so it represents more like 10 days expenditure. When we eat out it was usually fairly modest and as you might infer, we got a taste for nachos and poutine (chips with gravy, When ordering, do NOT confuse this with poutain) and beer as a staple.

So the above estimate of £2500-£3500 cash for a family looks in line with our experience, given that 2 children probably won't cost as much as two adults.

Just checked and we spent just under £100 in all on plastic - mainly for charges that were easier to pay that way (train extras and car hire extras). I'd recommend you choose a specific card and one where you can monitor transactions on your mobile and where you can set alerts for anything anomalous. Generally, we went for cash payments just to minimise the opportunity for card fraud.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy