Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rail transfer Geneva to Wengen - is it easy??

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody travelled from Geneva to Wengen by rail, please? We're (hubby and I) thinking about booking with Crystal for a week in Wengen next January but it says transfers are 4 hours 15 mins by rail with 3-5 stops.

Package does include 1st class rail tickets, but I'm a little nervous as it's not a direct journey and we'll be taking our own skis as well as usual suitcases.

If anyone can advise how easy before we book that would be great, thanks!

Also, we would be travelling/arriving in Wengen on 13th Jan, which is the date of the World Cup Lauberhorn downhill ski race - does anyone know if that could make our travel more difficult to get into resort (looks like we'd potentially arrive at Wengen between 5-7pm), and will the general ski area be very busy still after the racing is over? It looks like the slalom is on Sun 14th (so I assume busy that day), but will the weekdays on piste following that still be busy or return to normal?

Lots of questions, any help gratefully received!!!

Thanks everyone Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have transferred to Wengen from Geneva many times but the t/o have taken everyone by coach to either Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen, never by train from Geneva airport. From Interlaken, depending on the journey, you may need to change platforms and this means dragging your luggage around the station. The trains are crowded, and on race weekend will be packed. It can be a bit of a scrum at busy transfer times (Saturdays) but I can imagine it being a real challenge on race weekend. Double check with Crystal as to exactly what journey they are plannng for you.

The Lauberhorn race is one of the big races of the annual calendar. Everything will be packed and there maybe some closures or restrictions to accommodate the racing. We absolutely love Wengen and we are very keen racing fans but I would be prepared for a tricky journey to get there. Having said that, the atmosphere in the town will be amazing.

I would have thought the pistes will be pretty normal in the week following. The week before would be a different story. There are people on this forum who live in Wengen so maybe one of them may come along and give you some inside info.

it is a fantastic place to ski and you should have a great time once the place quiets down!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DebbieD, many times to Mürren, Wengen once but it's more or less the same.

Assuming you are reasonably sensible, co-ordinated individuals, it's totally straightforward. You just need to manage your skis and luggage. Trains usually have ski racks. Platforms are invariably indicated on your timetable. Connections are timed so you should have plenty of time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is a bit of a hike tbh. The worst is Interlaken Ost (don't confuse with Interlake Ouest) where you have to go down the steps and under onto a different platform. At least to change at Lauterbrunnen you are at platform level to get across to the Wengen train. If you have to change at Bern that is fine - loads of escalators and lifts. Remember that on way to railway at Geneva airport there is an excellent Migros for provisions for the journey. It may sound a long transfer but even the road one is quite long and requires a transfer at Lauterbrunnen via the underpass since the prats, see another thread, stopped your crossing the, terminus, line even when a train is not there or expected.

I suspect at race weekend at that time most of the spectators will be going in the other direction but various stations might be busy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Deutsche Bahn site is very good resource for checking journeys. It will give you platforms/stops etc, so you can check the details yourself. Current timetable only goes up to the end of November at the mo'

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=15076&protocol=https:&seqnr=1&ident=jf.0488076.1501411599&rt=1&OK#focus
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, maybe better on the Swiss Rail website? Being in Switzerland? Www.sbb.ch/en

Timetables don't tend to randomly change materially, so current ones likely to give good indication.

It's a hike by car as well. At least on the train you can chill. Restaurants on board are OK as well for lunch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've worked at the race in Wengen a few times and the posts above are on the money. Changing trains is a bit of a faff but if you're sensible and organised types it's fine. The train service is, as you'd expect, very good. The journey by road is a bit quicker but isn't one I especially enjoy.

The train up to Wengen will be affected by race crowds but I'd imagine you'd be travelling up much later than race fans so you'll not have a problem. The town will be busy with noisy, drunk fans but it returns to it's sleepy self very quickly.

It's a beautiful place even if the skiing isn't too extensive. My small tip, take plenty of thermals- those January winds can be brutal!

Have a great time
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DebbieD, The transfer won't be a problem. When you get to Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen all the spectators from the race will be going in the opposite direction so no worries for you. Saturday night in the village will be nuts, particularly if a Swissie has won. It's a great atmosphere.

On Sunday the village will be busy with the slalom but unlike the downhill 99% of the spectators just walk to the stadium at Innerwengen, so there's no real impact on the skiing. The spectators will all go home immediately after the race so the village returns to normal on Sunday afternoon. The rest of the week will be pretty quiet - it certainly was this year. The Lauberhorn downhill course will reopen to the public a few days after the race.

All in all it's a good week to be in Wengen.

If you like ski racing it's well worth getting tickets - it's a great event.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sbb.ch, circa 4 hours 3 changes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Please don't let this put you off, but just be aware that there are train thieves in CH, just like anywhere else, so take the usual precautions. They tend to target tourists carrying luggage on the return trip to Geneva Airport, somewhere along by Lake Geneva. If you're intercity to Geneva it's less likely, but if, say, you transferring at Lausanne to a local train into Geneva Airport, then you'll be stopping at various local stations so it's easy for them to get on/off. Typical ploys are to place a black rucksack next to yours and then pick yours up 'by mistake'; pretend to drop something on the floor and then an accomplice will take a handbag, shoulder-bag, rucksac when you're looking down; drop their coat on your stuff and then pick it up with your purse etc.etc.

As I said, this isn't anything different to any local train service used a lot by tourists, anywhere in the world. But I think people often assume that for some reason, Switzerland is less prone to this. If you think about it, a local train going to GVA is a good target, and tourists (like me) are often more focused on the upcoming checkin and flight than being careful. I had my rucksack stolen in this way and when I turned up to the British Consulate in Berne on the following Monday, there were six other people all of whom had had their passport stolen on the train to GVA the previous Friday/Saturday. This would have been a subset of people who'd had stuff stolen.

I've posted this before and got the usual 'This couldn't happen to me because I always ....' responses but these are professionals who know all the tricks. Main thing is to keep your wallet, travel docs and passport in an inside pocket, obviously - but this is sometimes easier said than done and it's very easy to get distracted, especially if you're travelling with younger children.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DebbieD, yes very easy. The train ride is very relaxing. I have done it. For anyone else wanting to go on Swiss trains just use the link. https://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/b2c/sprache.do?en
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do they not include the green luggage tags? Not sure if things have changed but we had our bags put on the plane in London and they arrived in our hotel on the train after ours. Swiss rail did all the work and on the way back they went overnight to the airport.

https://www.raileurope.com/activities/fly-rail-baggage-to-switzerland/index.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Long journey but as others seem to be saying, pretty straightforward. You just need to to be confident when changing trains and know which is your next connection. Lovely journey alongside the banks of Lake Geneva and then climbing up to Wengen...

Other piece of advice, don't book direct with Crystal Ski. Use an agent as they will usually do a better price than booking direct - package is still with Crystal. Drop me a PM and I can let you know a bit more...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DebbieD, another tip, this time concerning lift passes. Rather than buy them through the tour operator compare their prices with the Jungfrau website. For the last few years they have offered a 20% discount on the standard lift price if you order them online at least 21 days prior to the first day of skiing. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@harrim51, I have a feeling that back when I used (Probably Crystal) to go to Wengen (1992?) luggage was handled for us.
ski holidays
That option ( of letting the Swiss rail handle your luggage) was available the last time I went (2010).

But the luggage is only expected to arrive BY the 2nd day. Often it arrives earlier than that. Still, you need to pack in such a way that you have all you need until then.
snow conditions
@DebbieD, From Geneva its easy, the Station at the Airport is in the basement area, You will need to Change at Bern station, you will certainly need to change at Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen, Ist class Swiss trains are very comfortable, there are ramps as well as stairs at Interlaken Ost, Ramps at Bern, at Lauterbrunnen get out of the Left side of the train and walk across to the Wengen trains, people will be coming down not many going up at that time of day, the center of Wengen will be packed as all of the stages, temporary hospitality suites and so on will be full of race fans, by Monday it will be back to being quiet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy