Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

German Cable Car collision leaves dozens stranded in mid-air

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst not strictly skiing related (I'm not aware of any pistes in Cologne!), this story of the lift failure and subsequent rescue of the stranded passengers may be of interest.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm.

Quote:
The incident is said to have been the result of one of the gondolas clipping a part of the support structure, bringing the entire cable transport system to a standstill.

Begs the question of why one of the gondolas clipped the support structure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57901
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
Hmm.

Begs the question of why one of the gondolas clipped the support structure.

My best guess would be someone inside one of the gondolas rocking it so hard that it hit a part of the pylon...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idiots was my first guess. Not aware of any intense weather, but there could have been a local storm I guess.

I believe there quite a few cable cars or gondola around that area, going up from several rivers (Rhine, Mosel, Saar, etc.) up to the top of a scenic hill. No idea where this specific one is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stanton's link leads to a form page which suggests that gusty winds may have caused the problem - and that it's happened before. Maybe the operators need to keep better eye on the weather and be more inclined to shut the lift if strong winds/gusts threaten.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy, It was the Kölner Seilbahn that just crosses the Rhine from one part of the city to another. No hills involved.

Is it really possible for the passengers involved to swing a cabin that much? I thought that you might be able to get it to tip a bit from one side to another, but the lateral movement would still be pretty limited.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sh*t happens with cableways all the time - it's a vulnerable* form of transportation when you think about it

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/11/ski-granby-ranch-ski-lift-death-final-report/

* I don't mean in terms of absolute level of accidents per ride per head etc as I don't have stats but more in terms of what risk factors are present - elevation above ground, extremes of temperature, wind exposure, stressed cables, single points of attachment etc.

Or put it another way - bus has a drive failure, goes clunk and stops, chairlift/gondola gets stopped hard and put into a sway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember many years ago the cable car in Singapore that runs from the World Trade Centre to Sentosa was clipped by a floating drill platform's derrick when they were trying to get the platform out from its mooring . Knocked quite a few of the cars off a resulted in several fatalities (imagine its not much mentioned or allowed to be mentioned in the tourist literature!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Cable_Car_disaster

I didnt recall the rescue operation being so remarkable but seems to have been the case.

But only incident on that one that I know of resulting in death. Been on it a few times and in all the time living there dont recall any other incidents (or reported incidents) so lessons learnt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the passengers, a Mrs Merkel, denied swinging on the lift

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Whilst not strictly skiing related (I'm not aware of any pistes in Cologne)!

Landgraaf is pretty close and they have a 6 seat chairlift
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It looks remarkably like Dr Merkel, the German chancellor
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Yes, same smile Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It is indeed. On holiday in Solda Italy. Papers are comparing her with our own dear leader Mrs May

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been on that cable car, wasn't a particularly windy day, but the sway from the wind high up above the Rhine was rather terrifying. It's more like the London cable car thingy across from Greenwich to Docklands in that respect, goes up high above the river then back down. So always going to be more prone to wind than something following the contours of a mountain.
latest report
@Rcav,
Quote:

It's more like the London cable car thingy across from Greenwich to Docklands in that respect, goes up high above the river then back down. So always going to be more prone to wind than something following the contours of a mountain.

Apologies for being pedantic, but surely the height of a cable car above the ground depends upon two things:
1. The height of the pylons and, apart from a few metres here or there, I can't imagine they are much different from your average ski-resort cable car.
2. How much the ground drops away between pylons. There are some huge drops in the alps, but Cologne is basically flat.

Anyway, the 'victims' of the Cologne incident were rescued by mobile crane so they can't have been that high up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy