Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many km do you ski in a season

Poster: A snowHead
As above. I've been logging my days and this winter was about 2,150km. Relative to other winters it's a bit more that usual. Anyone else do it? Be interested to see what is typical for a season
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@moseyp, blimey that's a tenth of the way to the moon. And that, owing to the absence of decent snow in the upper atomsphere, is impressive. Have you heard of the space lift? A cable tow to the upper reaches...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@moseyp, I don't log it but a bare minimum ski day is about 20km and I do about 60 days ...

We had some big days this year but nothing like as many as usual...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have about 1350km on skiline, but also spent a lot of time at Obertauern, plus all the touring days, so probably about 1600km in all, 90 - 100 days skiing. The off piste days definitely slow down the km accumulation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm about 20km average per day. Biggest day was 60km (last day of the season unsurprisingly!) and shortest days were about 3 or 4km

@Scarpa, is there much of a difference between skiline and skitracks? I use skitracks. I like the satellite feature where I can see where in/how far I covered the resort

The distance I skied this year is also the distance I traveled over and back (length of France) in my car. That's quite cool I think
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
@moseyp, blimey that's a tenth of the way to the moon....

? Some sort of physics perturbation going on?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thornyhill, I don't get it either - maybe he means as the crow flies?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, @Thornyhill, quite.

340,000 / 2150 = ... well, lets say a lot less than 10%. About 0.6% in fact...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@valais2, @Thornyhill, quite.

340,000 / 2150 = ... well, lets say a lot less than 10%. About 0.6% in fact...

5.36% around the world though
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@moseyp, how can a short day be 3-4 km?

Typical Chamonix piste runs are about 800m vertical (I guess) so at least 1km slope... or is my geometry terrible?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, one day is only 100m, cannot remember for the life of me what that was! Maybe it stopped recording. The >5km days are still 3/4 hours long so think they were work days, standing on the hill in the morning and not skiing in the afternoon
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, ah, yes, that would make sense
snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does your device include the accent of the slope in the total Kms?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@king key, no just descent I think, but I haven't used it skinning or I only used it on the downhill
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, Skiline is purely on the lift data so if you venture off the pistes down it is a little approximate. It also only records the length of the piste so the more turning you do the more distance you cover in reality. Also touring days really slow it down. My biggest day on it is 127km and that was an attempt to break 100km in a day. Kooky did a fair bit more in one day, 137km Shocked

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 22-04-17 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Scarpa, how does that work? surely it must be tracking you with GPS to know where you're skiing?

127km!!! how did you manage that? I thought my 60k was a long day
ski holidays
Nope, it has sensors on every lift that in much of Austria track your progress... give you times, vert m, km of the run down. It records every lift you take over every season so you can see running totals etc per year. You just put in your ski pass numbers.

Yup, that was a hard day, early Dec, no crowds, 8:30 start and only one pee stop, eat and drink on lifts. We didn't just hit a few runs, did both sides of the mountain top to bottom for much of the day. You have to be very fit though.
snow report
2700 km last season, 97 days. Down on that this season purely because I haven't been inspired enough by the conditions to ski as much. 2200 km atm, 74 days which is actually more per day than last year.
snow report
My favourite measure though is how many Everests. Last year 426614 vertical mètres which is over 48 Everests 😃
snow conditions
@Claude B, wow...I was 95 or 96 days but 600km less!
snow conditions
This could end up a 100 pages so could you change the subject to

How many km offpiste/back country do you do a season?

Very Happy
latest report
@stanton, I'm not sure it could, maybe if it was "how many km in a week holiday" but I suspect there's a lot less people that have tracked every day in a season
snow report
moseyp wrote:
@stanton, I'm not sure it could, maybe if it was "how many km in a week holiday" but I suspect there's a lot less people that have tracked every day in a season

If you change the title to 'How much shite does stanton post?' then you could easily get the longest thread ever on sH.
snow report
@Thornyhill, your an angry oldman.
snow conditions
@stanton, "you're"..tune in

Now Be Nice please! off an stop being a brain dead idiot.

You're stupid.
snow conditions
no idea and no interest in finding out
skiing is about the sensations not the distance IMO
snow report
The answer is not enough!!
snow report
@jedster, don't disagree. Use skitracks mainly for tracking days skied and by how much I get my moneys worth out of pass. Last season £5/day 😃
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, I don't know why people say that! The two aren't mutually exclusive. Having an app on my phone, it takes absolutely nothing away from the joy that I get from my 95 days skiing this winter. Nothing, there's no connection between the two. Curiosity is never a bad thing but apathy is a bit sad
snow report
You've not done enough if you're still counting it.
latest report
436.5km in this season according to Skitracks (and I know I missed a couple of runs when I forgot to restart it after lunch one day). Doesn't seem to bad for 2 one week holidays.
snow report
@Scarpa,
Quote:

Yup, that was a hard day, early Dec, no crowds, 8:30 start and only one pee stop, eat and drink on lifts.

If we assume you stopped about 17:30, then that is 11 hours with only 1 pee!

Quote:

Skiline is purely on the lift data so if you venture off the pistes down it is a little approximate. It also only records the length of the piste so the more turning you do the more distance you cover in reality

Are these true lengths or the famous overestimates in the resorts publicity material? How does it know which piste you took down from the lift?
snow report
That seems reasonable, no? Especially if you haven't stopped for coffee at all. Which is what usually makes up half my day, and possibly explains why I ski a lot less

I don't understand SkiLine though, if it doesn't know what piste you're actually skiing or how you ski it can't be getting any sort of reading of distance. Surely it uses gps the same as other apps, just doesn't give you those stats?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

Are these true lengths or the famous overestimates in the resorts publicity material? How does it know which piste you took down from the lift?

Good point, I was surprised that the Sarenne was 10km on my GPS, I think they claim 16km, and I did make more than 1 turn on the way down.
ski holidays
@moseyp, It's not an app... it's the lift companies data that you can then log into on www.skiline.com and access. If you take a lift up in a participating resort it logs the up and has data on the route down. I think that if there is a choice of pistes it picks the most direct.
ski holidays
This was an off piste day so we actually did a fair bit more than the piste would have given us.

ski holidays
@Scarpa, I see
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, I don't know why people say that! The two aren't mutually exclusive. Having an app on my phone, it takes absolutely nothing away from the joy that I get from my 95 days skiing this winter. Nothing, there's no connection between the two. Curiosity is never a bad thing but apathy is a bit sad

didn't suggest it did detract just that it doesn't add anything to my enjoyment
I can assure you I'm not remotely apathetic about skiing!
snow report
The YUGE app for paradiski uses GPS data to calculate distances, speeds etc. you have to have the GPS switched on on your phone. AFSIK it doesn't look at the lift data at all. In Espace Killy the lift data does not exist for every lift since once up the mountain not all lifts have rfid readers.
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
As above. I've been logging my days and this winter was about 2,150km. Relative to other winters it's a bit more that usual. Anyone else do it? Be interested to see what is typical for a season

Look at meeee, look at meee!! rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy