Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggle protection on helmet

Poster: A snowHead
So I've bought a new and expensive pair of Oakley Flight Deck goggles which will spend about 30% of their lives up on the helmet. Half that time will be knocking around dangerously in mountain bars and restaurants. How can I protect my lenses (HUGE and RIMLESS) from the vicissitudes of this hostile environment? I see army types hanging out the tops of their tanks (other armoured vehicles are available) with their googles protected by a snazzy (but khaki) cover. I want one of those. Trouble is the only one I've been able to discover is made by http://thegheek.com/ and a) they don't seem to have European stockists and b) they're completely sold out anyway!

Anyone any idea if this kind of thing is available over here Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saw these on i'interweb

http://www.theproggle.com/

But cant vouch for product or supplier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:
Saw these on i'interweb

I quite like some of those, but.....
1. They are handmade and look as if they were knitted by a Granny
2. They are all 'sold out' which I suspect is a euphemism for "Granny is now in a home and no longer knits"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy a bit of fleece and some knicker elastic?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@paulecrisp, Oakley provide you with a nice bag to put your goggles in, so in restaurants and bars take your goggles off and put them in the bag.

I also have Flightdecks, and for me the biggest risk is scraping the goggles against my ski tips or edges in lifts. I am always amazed how many people carelessly abuse their goggles, the classic being the goggles dangling off the back of the helmet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Found these . .

http://www.tlg8.com/products/

Gondoms . . .also USA unfortunately
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@paulecrisp,

a. Your goggles should never be up on your helmet. That's why they fog up.

b. Take them off your helmet in restaurants and put them in your helmet with your gloves on top. Close the chin strap. Simples.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu wrote:
ster wrote:
Saw these on i'interweb

I quite like some of those, but.....
1. They are handmade and look as if they were knitted by a Granny
2. They are all 'sold out' which I suspect is a euphemism for "Granny is now in a home and no longer knits"

Can't gainsay 1. as have never seen them in the flesh and in the pix they do look a bit rudimentary.

They did say did all say sold out when I went back to look short after doing the first post but but seems like they can be added to the on line cart. Maybe Granny is back to knitting as there is no snow to ski on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just hang the helmet on a hook or put it on a high shelf out of the way Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Emailed Proggle - now fully back in stock
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brought a cover for goggles at the ski show in London.... £15 was steep, I have seen loads of military protectors but cant find a source either....
As I have glasses, goggles are a real pain...
I have used them to ski and ride m/bikes off road and never found a real solution to stp fogging....
Luckily in these current warm sunny conditions I am using cheap poleroid over glasses, £15... they are advertised in sunday paper suppliments but found cheaper on line...
I doubt if they would pass muster in stormy / snowy conditions tho...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simple solution, don't wear them on your helmet.

ON YOUR FACE OR IN THE CASE! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could send them to me. I'll protect them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting.

The proggle appears to contain a "stitched in elastic boarder".
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought a Proggle at the London ski show and used it when i went out to val two weeks ago. It's a small microfiber lined cover, which you can pull over your goggles - perfect for apres ski when you don't want to leave your goggles in a corner!!
You shouldn't keep your goggles on your helmet for a long period of time because it ruins the foam inside and can steam them up, but when your out and about the Proggle is a great way of not scratching your lens if your a bit of a goggle freak like me.
snow report
Definitely easier ways to solve this than buying another bit of stuff to kick around the house for 11½ months a year.

Like take them off the helmet and shove them in pocket, the helmet if your head is not inside etc etc
snow report
Those goggle covers remind me of the clear plastic plastic covers people used to put over their sofas in the 1970's and only took them off when "company" came round.
ski holidays
@Legend., yes, inside most jackets is..... wait for it .... a goggle pocket.
snow report
Also, when helmet off, pull the googles a bit further forward into the helmet so that they are not as exposed as when you pushed them up and sticking out a long way.
ski holidays
A bit of thread resurrection.

I actually bought one of these, and it has proved invaluable during my road trip in Japan. As mentioned above the majority of damage done to goggles it by other people (damaging goggles while actually skiing takes an impressive feat, except maybe a branch to the face while tree skiing).

In the morning I select the goggles/lenses I'll start the day with, stick them on the helmet with the Proggle on, and it doesn't matter if my helmet falls on the floor, or someone kicks it. When we arrive the helmet and goggles are ready to go. The Proggle can be fitted and removed while wearing the helmet/goggles.

You would probably look a bit of a prat using one if there is no risk of damage, but for use in a van with 8 other people it has done it's job. I know I'm the only one emerging from the trip with pristine goggle lenses.

I bought the all black one, so it doesn't show dirt or draw attention to its self.
snow conditions
I just use my Dakine skull cap and tuck it neatly round the goggles whilst the helmet is not in use . . .performs in exactly the same way
ski holidays
I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009K2D830/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Out of stock now but could be somewhere. Goggles go in case, case fits in helmet with gloves. Only really works if you're of the bag carrying persuasion.
ski holidays
I bought my new Flight Decks
c/w prism lenses in November and have skied in them 4 weeks and they are scratched in a couple of places already. I'm really not bothered they are getting used and like my skis show signs of use. Tools not jewels.....by the way they weren't abused in bars or on buses it was by skiing in them and were scratched by my own poles in an off....that's what they were designed for and if I have to buy a new lens in a couple of years that'll be fine, I can't be bothered mothballing my gear. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Purchased a black proggle on the basis of this thread, I'm forever smacking my goggles with my skis so see how it goes. My initial thoughts are that it might be a pita to put it on without taking goggles off the helmet (Smith I/OX's) and as @PowderAdict said I'm likely to look like a total tool with it on (Mind you that's pretty normal for me anyhow) so we'll see.
ski holidays
@djf, If you are able to put on or swap over to a different pair of goggles without taking your helmet off, you shouldn't have any issues putting on the Proggle. Taking it off is much easier.

As mentioned the black one is pretty much invisible at range, compared to the patterned/coloured ones. I had several "that's a good idea" comments, but no "you look like a prat" comments unless everyone was being too polite.......

@Markymark29, I'm not particularly precious about my gear, but I really notice stratches on my goggles, so every little helps.
ski holidays
I bought some flight decks with fire iridium lens for this year's trip. Day one, before we even got out the house, while getting the kids ready, I nut the textured wall. The outcome, a scratch (more like skinned) the size of your little finger nail.

They were doomed from the start. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@Markymark29,
Quote:

Tools not jewels..
I like that expression - hadn't heard it before.

However, if you'll forgive me ...... Spending around £150 on a pair of goggles surely puts them pretty firmly in the 'jewels' camp. Both in terms of absolute cost and the fact that you can buy goggles with similar performance for a fraction of that price. That's not a criticism, because we all like to fuel our skiing excitemnt with the occasional bit of 'essential' kit.
latest report
I'm with Markymark29: goggles get damaged (scratched) while skiing (falling over with style), not hanging around in bars.
(bars are where you and i get damaged)

As under a new name states: don't leave your goggles on outside of helmet like this, but in same position as when you're wearing them like this
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim,
Quote:

As under a new name states: don't leave your goggles on outside of helmet like this, but in same position as when you're wearing them like this
That's fine. But there are plenty of times when you might be wearing your helmet but don't want your goggles on. For some of us that might be becasue it's a sunny day and we prefer sunglasses, or more simply because we are in a gondola when you can't be bothered to take your helmet off but you'd look/feel a fool sitting there with your goggles still on. - or maybe just nipping into a restauirant for a pee / get a pint / whatever. If you mean that you shouldn't leave them pushed up for long period e.g. overnight, then I'm with you 100%. The elastic strap gets stretched.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, you are quite right.
I've often got goggles up on helmet in just the situations you describe.
If left longterm like that, not only does elastic get stretched, but soft sponge around edge doesn't dry, so you they are cold and soggy when you put them back on. Nasty.
snow conditions
Goggle covers definitely exist. I had desert goggles on my army helmet and they were supplied with an elasticated cover.

However these had a tendency to get lost as they were only held on with elastic and could pop off. A lot of the guys would cut a foot-long section off a football sock - thus making a nylon tube, open the goggle strap (not sure if you can do this on all ski goggles? I presume there must be a way), and slide on the section of sock. Then when you want to use the goggles you just slide the sock off onto the side of your helmet.

It won't win any fashion awards but it lives on the goggle strap so you won't lose it.

Of course the only thing to be conscious of is we weren't really that bothered about scratching the lenses as they got scratched to hell by windblown dust anyway. I don't know if the surface of a football sock is too abrasive to be up against ski goggles.
latest report
@Jonpim, as you say, that's exactly how I leave mine when we stop for lunch, as it helps foam to dry and I feel puts less stretch on th elastic. That said, I still fell they are exposed and likely to get damaged whilst left on the table/helmet rolls on floor. So I often take them off, wrap them in their bag and place them inside the helmet. A little extra hassle. But Proggle looks like it will help protect in this instance also, so it's worth a punt in my view.

I've placed an order and will provide feedback, after my next trip!
snow conditions
Feedback on this.

Proggle delivered promptly. Used it for a week in April, both when snowboarding in sunglasses, and goggles were on top of helmet. And when at lunch/end of day when finished and in bar/boot room etc.

Did it's job. Fits well, plastic clips help hold it on to the goggle straps. Does what it says on the tin as they say.

I am pleased with it, and it will continue to be in my kit bag.

That said, i have coped admirably without one for some years (my previous Oakley goggles lasting twelve years with barely a scratch and it was finally the foam that gave up, rather than scratched lens)...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy