Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to get back on slopes after meniscus tear

Poster: A snowHead
I had a small meniscus tear after a fall in January this year, ended the trip early as could barely walk, went to cabinet medicale who diagnosed possbible meniscus tear and gave me a prescription for some physio. When I returned home went straight to physio, and am currently on week 4 doing 2 sessions a week. Currently at the point where I have 0 pain, except when I flex my knee fully whilst weight bearing (aka full crouch down/squat), and physio says we can stop sessions after next week as I won't need anymore. No instability, no locking (ever), and am allowed to run, cycle etc, as well as weight train. When is it time to get back on the slopes? Has anyone got any advice from this kind of injury, and any tips for getting back skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
now
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you do standard piste skiing then you should be fine.
My wife had the same issue, lots of swelling and pain. Hers was a degenerative issue with some problems in the bone too.
She is a machine though and did 6 weeks of intense physio, stip had some swelling and pain, avoided max movements, but then did a week where she skied better than ever.

Still had a bit of a limp, but skiing was awesome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's much lower stress and impact than running, so yeah, no reason to wait any longer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@northernrookie, sounds like you may be ready to ski again.
Is there an indoor snow shed anywhere convenient for you to try it out for an hour or two?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
If you do standard piste skiing then you should be fine.
My wife had the same issue, lots of swelling and pain. Hers was a degenerative issue with some problems in the bone too.
She is a machine though and did 6 weeks of intense physio, stip had some swelling and pain, avoided max movements, but then did a week where she skied better than ever.

Still had a bit of a limp, but skiing was awesome.

Thanks for the response, gives me some hope. I was very lucky and havent had any swelling, but lots of intense physio. Did your wife have any mental barriers when getting back to skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeakyB wrote:
@northernrookie, sounds like you may be ready to ski again.
Is there an indoor snow shed anywhere convenient for you to try it out for an hour or two?

I live in France so no snow sheds near me, the only way to test the waters is to book a days trip to the mountains. Obviously hesitant to spend the money until Im sure - had to cut my 4 day trip short in January, and the sting of paying for an unused ski pass isn't something I want to repeat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@northernrookie, in that case, is a day trip to one of the smaller areas near Lyon/Grenoble a possibility, to test it out, without committing to too much expense?
Probably cheaper than 3 hours in a British snowshed!

My own experience of returning after meniscus tear was good, after a tricky start. I went to Tignes and the first day was flat light and very poor visibility. I was wary of falling and damaging the knee and didn’t enjoy skiing that say.

The next day was clear and, within a couple of hours, confidence had returned and skiing was fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PeakyB wrote:
@northernrookie, in that case, is a day trip to one of the smaller areas near Lyon/Grenoble a possibility, to test it out, without committing to too much expense?
Probably cheaper than 3 hours in a British snowshed!

My own experience of returning after meniscus tear was good, after a tricky start. I went to Tignes and the first day was flat light and very poor visibility. I was wary of falling and damaging the knee and didn’t enjoy skiing that say.

The next day was clear and, within a couple of hours, confidence had returned and skiing was fine.

I live in Lyon so definitely possible, all in with transport, forfait and ski hire runs about 80 euro which is great. I can understand how flat light and bad conditions would make anxiety worse, so I might wait for some fresh snow (if it ever comes) and a clear day before heading out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@northernrookie, I had a small meniscus tear a few years back. I skied the day after it happened but had knee discomfort. I went to see a physio on my return home. I was banned skiing (no big stress as this was March) and given some exercises to do, things did slowly improve but this issue didnt really clear up until the weather got warmer and I started to do a fair amount of cycling. At that point the issue quickly resolved and my physio gave me the all clear to ski next season. I would be cautious until you get an OK from your physio, it all sounds positive but in most cases it is a question of managing the injury rather than the tear repairing itself. I have been happily skiing in the seasons since and I suspect I am a good deal older and less fit than you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had 2 menicus tears, one in each knee, about 18 months apart. Had knee hole surgery on both, they were too bad to heal on their own. As I understand it you can get menicus tears in 3 flavours, if you're lucky it can give you little or no discomfort, if you are less lucky it gives you some pain, but is manageable with anti-inflammatories and rest, if you're the least lucky it's got to be dealt with by keyhole surgery. No way could I have worked and played without the surgery. I was back to skiing a month after surgery.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been battling a meniscus tear since last year , saw the physio did a programme of exercises and it kept swelling up front and behind the knee and didn't really improve. Physio said i'd be alright skiing in February, so we went and first morning was ok, then we got some really high temps and was skiing on porridge, knee was agony and i lost 4 days skiing Now due for an Op . I think each injury is different.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
king key, I love your "knee hole surgery". Accurate description of procedure and clever use of words. I do hope it was intentional. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If only it had been intentional. Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marksovereign wrote:
I've been battling a meniscus tear since last year , saw the physio did a programme of exercises and it kept swelling up front and behind the knee and didn't really improve. Physio said i'd be alright skiing in February, so we went and first morning was ok, then we got some really high temps and was skiing on porridge, knee was agony and i lost 4 days skiing Now due for an Op . I think each injury is different.

I had my left knee done in mid-Oct, 2 weeks of icing, stretching and then light weight excerise. After a month back in the snowdome and 2 weeks later skiing in Austria. It felt fine, did another week in the snow in Jan, it feels pretty good now, I've been doing a fair bit in the gym which it likes, (squats, 50kg x 25 reps x 2 sets).
I'd look to get it operated on ASAP, the muscles waste if not used enough and that exasapates it.
snow report
I've had both knees done. IME, you're ready to go now, just don't head straight for the bumps.
latest report
Surgery is a last resort as it has long term arthritis implications. Worth persevering with physio and drugs imv
snow report
@northernrookie, Medial meniscus tear: usually very painful for a bout 4 weeks. Then settle a bit. Some continue to settle over a couple of months and they can be ignored. Many wax and wane, having good days and bad days. It usually possible to do some skiing with a medial meniscus tear and i recommend many to do just that every winter as they come and see me too close to the ski trip to get them fully recovered in time. If they are interfering with fun and day to day activities then consider treatment. the more osteoarthritis present the less inclined to offer surgery. In these consider meniscal injection of steroid. Some patterns of tear just don't get better and they do well with surgery. Surgery doesn't lead to arthritis, that is an outcome from the meniscus tearing but it can take 10 years or more. Surrey also doesn't prevent arthritis. Jonathan Bell
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, Cheers for the info Jonathan! Very interesting about the surgery/arthritis information.
snow report
An update if anyone is curious - did a day skiing at Les Saisies almost exactly 2 months after the injury, and after 10 sessions of physio/weight training. Took an ibuprofen in the morning as a precaution. Had no issues at all with the knee that day, but definitely had some confidence issues. It was half term, so busy and found it mentally challenging and anxiety inducing around that many other skiiers. Overall a good day out.

Did another day of skiing yesterday at Les 7 Laux, which was basically empty so a lot less anxiety. Did a lot more skiing, from 10am-16:45 and with no lift lines. Definitely more confident today, no pain whilst skiing but did have some stiffness/soreness once the boots were off (note: forgot to take ibuprofen). Feel as if the physio has done wonders, and will continue doing my barbell squats etc to keep the leg strong.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy