Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex soft shell jacket suitable for spring?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a new shell that with the right layering will do all weathers.

I snowboard so I run a bit sweatier than a skier on the same slopes (because of the extra bending for bindings plus occasionally needing to get a foot out and push). I basically ride in resorts, but do the odd guided off piste day that starts with lifts but can involve short (20-30 minute) hikes. I get too hot far more often than I get too cold.

I am wondering whether a Goretex soft shell would do the job or be too hot. From what I read these aren't really soft shells, they are standard goretex with a fleecy lining. What isn't clear is whether they are significantly warmer than a non-insulated goretex shell, and if so, does that make them unsuitable for Spring.

Can anyone offer any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do similar stuff but on skis....

Its all about the layers, for spring skiing I use a shell and then can pick the number and thickness of layers underneath. Yesterday I was down to a Helly base layer and the shell, that was it, looking out of the window a permaloft gilet will be required this morning to start with.

If you get one with a fleecy lining, you can't take it out, which you may regret when hiking.

PS Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I sometimes feel a bit lost with the terminology. What's a hardshell, what's a softshell and do I need to know the difference?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hard shell = for hard people
Soft shell = for softies

Simple 😜
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome @brokenbetty but not too sweaty we hope.

The stores are full of stuff this time of year, I don't think it has to be GoreTex anymore, a lot of these newer materials are pretty sophisticated, and lighter.

You'e going to get a lot of answers on this one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's all about the layering.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brokenbetty, do you cycle, hike / climb back in the UK, dog walk ?

Just that jackets can be multi function - and I sweat like a pig too and have never found a jacket / layering system that keeps me dry rolling eyes

Been touring most days this past week and I'm down to one light layer (also use for cycling) and a light wind-stopper gilet.

In my pack I have my shell for the descent (might take gilet off) as well as a pack-able down jacket should it be cold n'windy at summit or for emergencies - the shell should also fit over the down jacket, so think about that as an option, too tight a shell and you look a bit of a Michelin man.

In cold depth of winter storm chasing days I still use my trusty Paramo Enduro expensive and not a design delight but ticks all the boxes!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brokenbetty, Goretex active shell maybe a better choice. It's a 3 layer membrane and as waterproof as 'normal' goretex but a lot lighter and more breathable. Durability drops but there's always a compromise. Doesn't have the fleece backing of soft shell and works very well in warm conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I assume you mean Gore Windstopper? It's isn't just Gore-tex with a fleecy lining. It's more breathable (just) than standard Gore-tex but a lot less breathable than a non membrane (stretch woven) soft shell. It'll be fine as a spring shell as well as an all winter shell, just wear more/less under it as required.

I was using some Gore windstoper salopettes recently, I really liked them but they did get a bit warm, more so than my heavyweight stretch woven ones.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all who responded Smile

Gore windstopper? Not sure - a few jackets I saw were just called "goretex soft shell". Of course now I can't find any examples - will keep looking and post them if I do.

I went to Snow and Rock at the Hemel Hempstead snow centre today to see what the fabrics are like in the flesh....and they don't stock women's shells at all! Just racks of the paddy, the puffy, the quilty and the furry. There was however a snowboard with a kitten riding a flying unicorn, so in no way can I consider it a wasted trip. (I did not buy the kitten/unicorn snowboard, just happy to know it exists)

On the multi-function suggestion, I don't really do anything I'd need an all-seasons shell for in the UK. I do cycle to work but it's all city streets and only a few miles, so on the odd time it rains a cagoule is fine. If I had a shell it might get used for the odd walk but multi-function isn't a big concern. I definitely do want snow features like a powder-skirt/snow gaiter and zips you can grab with gloves on. Also decent size pockets and at least one needs to be an accessible phone pocket.

For goretex active, how much less durable is it? I tend to slide out on my back a few times a day and have been known to scramble over rocks/get stuck behind trees (and there was one time I ended up with having to climb down a stream gully for about half an hour) - so it'll have to stand up to a bit of scraping around.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
North face is half price and free returns. I've bought the NFZ jacket and trousers, which arrive on Tuesday.

Not sure if they do them in female. If not, they do the brigandine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@brokenbetty, active is still pretty good...depends on what's most important to you. Goretex soft shell is very different to wind stopper. Much lighter with a very light lifted fleece. Had a couple of jackets made from it in the past. Warmer than pro shell.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it me ?
I find soft shell jackets 'tight' and don't leave much/any room for extra layers.
I am 73 kgs and 175cms and normally wear 'medium' but I need a large in soft shell a which means the sleeves are too long.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A rough shortlist (forgive the fierce colours. I like knowing people can find me if I fall down a tree well)

Are there any on here that stand out as either definitely do buy, or definitely don't? Are the Ortovox jackets (the most expensive pre-reduction, and not goretex) worth paying for technically or just a pricey name badge?

The Goretexes:

Others:
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would highly recommend the Norrøna Lofoten (I have the Lofoten and Røldal Primaloft jackets). I'm looking at getting the Lofoten pro shell as well but not too keen on the colors for this year. I have a few other Norrøna pieces and they are all very well made and worth every penny.

I also have a few items from Arc'teryx and again very well made and would recommend, but a bit on the expensive side.

The Shashka Jacket looks like what you're after.
snow conditions
+1 for Norrona Lofoten: superb fit, well designed and reliable. Build quality is very good but it's not quite arcteryx.
snow conditions
Darn it - looks like the Lofoten has sold out. Haven't seen it at at price anywhere else. Oh well, I snoozed and loozed
latest report
@brokenbetty, possibly some second hand options available in the autumn... wink
snow conditions
@brokenbetty,
coming to this late but I'd avoid goretex softshell for spring use if you run warm (as I do).
I'd go for one of two options:

a true non membrane softshell (more breathable than any membrane based shell)
a hardshell ideally with pitzips (less warm because unlined and can dump heat if through pit vents if it gets warm)

I've actually recently got one of these which is something of a hybrid of the two:
http://www.barrabes.co.uk/arcteryx-alpha-comp-hoody/p-43763?idvariedad=235145&opt=d&utm_source=Google.uk&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=producto&gclid=CJuJp4rItdMCFUk8Gwode1gGEQ
Although I got 50% off on a sample from Sportpursuit.

This has goretex hardshell on hood, shoulders, arms and round the bottom and a fully breathable but not fully waterproof material around most of the torso. I used it ski touring recently in Spring conditions recently and it worked very well (breathability, light weight) but I haven't tested it in foul conditions yet. Honestly I think its a bit niche and if I was buying one jacket in your shoes I'd go for a snowsport specific hardshell - that should give you everything you need.

These are a bit overpriced:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Arcteryx-AW16-Sidewinder-SV-Jacket.html?gclid=CMzMro_JtdMCFQwaGwodj78Mow
but I just mention it as perhaps the definitive quality snowsport specific hardshell jacket (not saying it is the best but one of the original ones - I bought one of the first models in about 2001 and I'm still using it a bit).
ski holidays
A couple more ideas:
Neoshell, is way more breathable than Gtx and still adequately waterproof. Suppliers include Jottnar, Eider and Rab.Robust enough for winter mountaineering so more than OK for resort skiing.Breathes so well you sometimes have to check if your jacket is on! When it's cold you may need an extra layer under it compared to Gtx.
The new hybrid Arc'teryx jackets such as Alpha Comp or Procline Comp, which use a mix of very light softshell and Goretex. Have not used personally bur heard good things about them.
snow report
@brokenbetty, worth checking ARCTERYX on sportpursuit

EG they have this in medium:

Womens Gamma MX Hooded Jacket (Violet Wine)

SAVE 50% £129.99
ski holidays
@gra,
Quote:

Neoshell,

Good call - got my wife a Rab one - excellent

Quote:

The new hybrid Arc'teryx jackets such as Alpha Comp

did you see my review on the post one above yours!
latest report
I'm with @jedster, by the time it's properly spring, so if it's precipitating, it's raining and I ain't skiing or it's warm enough to just ski in a fleece.

I do have a wind stopper gilet that I often use if it's a little cooler.

More importantly are spring gloves - my hands are naturally quite sweaty and so something un- or not very- insulated is essential.

Quechua do a nice leather climbing glove.
ski holidays
Another Norrona fan here - I have the Lofoten Goretex shell trousers and they've been excellent. Next on my kit list is the shell jacket to go with them, as I nearly disappeared into a pool of my own sweat wearing my primaloft one last week Shocked
snow report
gra wrote:
A couple more ideas:
Neoshell, is way more breathable than Gtx and still adequately waterproof. Suppliers include Jottnar, Eider and Rab.Robust enough for winter mountaineering so more than OK for resort skiing.Breathes so well you sometimes have to check if your jacket is on! When it's cold you may need an extra layer under it compared to Gtx.
The new hybrid Arc'teryx jackets such as Alpha Comp or Procline Comp, which use a mix of very light softshell and Goretex. Have not used personally bur heard good things about them.

I've got an arcteryx procline comp - which I skied in mid march and April and liked very much. Mainly a hardshell jacket with soft shell under the arms.
snow report
@jedster, did you see my review on the post one above yours!

No - just saw the barrabes bit didn't get as far as the alpha comp hoody!! Quite a few mountaineers / climbers also liking this from what I hear
snow report
I have decided to take a chance on the Ortovox Guardian - couldn't find many reviews but the ones I did were all very positive, and I am very keen on (1) the Merino lining, and (2) the zip interface between pants and jacket as I seem to scrape half the piste under my jacket on a regular basis. I'll post a review in about 7 months....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy