Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Upset tummies Tignes & 3 Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
I am staying in Tignes and V&D rife in various properties. Also heard reports from 3 Vallees of similar illness. Might be advisable to bring a bottle of hand sanitiser if you are heading out any time soon. But the snow will be amazing when it stops!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another outbreak of the dreaded Meribelly
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coca cola and plain rice is the local fix. (not together btw)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got back 2 weeks ago, and let me tell you, it was a long 12 hour drive feeling very nauseous and with a temperature to boot.

I assumed I had eaten something bad, but having read some reports of others being ill, perhaps it was a bug.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Local water supply problem still not fixed after all these years....

Old thread from 2007 and 2012

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=550666
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alcohol gel, imodium and hand washing paranoia. Also, teeth done with Bottled water.

Imagine you are in a place with so so sanitation and use those rules.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has been all over the alps this season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jilly29, suggest people wear condoms next time to avoid V&D.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, Nothing wrong with the water in Tignes, been drinking it for 24 weeks a year for 5 years. Val is on a different supply system so can't comment.

There does seem to have been more of it about, one bout was traced to dodgy bagged lettuce in a mountain restaurant. There may have also been norovirus (not scientifically proven by me BTW), but then with lots of tied people in close proximity, bars that aren't great on hygiene, chalet staff obliged to work when ill, dipping into buffets or nuts on the bar - its a toxic mix.

From NHS choices for Norovirus:

Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, particularly after using the toilet and before preparing food. Don't rely on alcohol hand gels, as they do not kill the virus.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a bad dose here earlier this winter. Didn't eat at all for over 48 hours and took the French équivalent of immodium. There was a lot of it about at the time but no Idea of the cause.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a school of thought that many cases of food poisoning are called Norovirus because the public will accept that the operator is not at fault.

If it was food poisoning caused by poor kitchen practices then the TO can be sued.

I have heard of lots of outbreaks of Norovirus on cruise liners but never an out break of food poisoning ... Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wash those hands and wipe the door handles time and time again . Once in resort it's gonna get you
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As Chocksaway has already said. The most likely cause is NOROVIRUS. It is very contagious and poor hygiene is the primary cause of it continuing. Almost certainly nothing to do with the water as some ill (pardon the pun) informed people seem to think. Make sure you wash hands thoroughly before touching any foodstuffs and don't put fingers anywhere near your mouth or face without doing so. All establishments should have hand sanitizer all over the place to help combat it. If they haven't don't use that place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just leaving val after a week. Had a very severe bout of vomiting along with three others in the hotel almost at the same time. The only common denominator we could think of was we all drank free water at the same time from one of the mountain restaurants as we skied together on a few days. We could of picked it up from somewhere else but we could pin point that as a common denominator.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx may have a point. I spent the first day of my last trip having vomit and dodgy poo issues (sorry Kooky & Scarpa) and feeling decidedly delicate. I put it down to a hangover despite a lack of headache and not having drunk very much. Maybe I had some sort of stomach upset.
latest report
I think the culprit is likely to be the norovirus, it's hard to kill, can live for weeks on hard surfaces i.e work tops, door handles, taps etc and a combination of densely populated hotels/chalets, less than scrupulous cleaning/hygiene practices and affected resort staff being 'persuaded' back to work before they should i.e 48 hour symptom free, is pretty much a perfect storm!
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

In Grenoble at the moment.
snow report
Does seem to be a recurring theme in the big French resorts. I experienced the whole of Club Med in Val D'Isere getting destroyed by something that looked like Noro once. Characterised by people feeling fine and having a drink one second, then turning pale, then green over the space of a few minutes, followed by 48 hours on the toilet. I was one of the lucky few that didn't get hit, but it does put a bit of a damper on things when you are waiting for it to happen!
snow conditions
Here in Livigno too Crying or Very sad

Our 2 nephews have just been struck down.

Think they caught it from a boy in their lessons who turned up after spending the night throwing up.

Not the best for their first ever ski holiday
snow conditions
I have noticed that when I go B&B I never have any problems!
Chalets and chalet hotels-I get a mild upset tummy 9 times out of 10 and I believe it's for the reasons others have stated about hygiene etc.

You only have to look at when guests come in from skiing, dump their stuff, take off their boots then head straight for the afternoon tea having not washed their hands beforehand and you can see how these bugs spread from person to person.

Out skiing all day, possibly not washed hands after going in the toilets either during the day and then going straight to handling/eating food without going upstairs first and washing hands.
Yuck. You see it all the time though.
latest report
I think Val d'Isere is pretty bad for it, I'm ill every single year, usually a few days in. This year I was struck down on the way home, it was a very miserable journey indeed and a sorry few days afterwards.

I always take hand gel with me because some of the bars don't have soap (the Rosee Blanche loo NEVER has any) and wash my hands a lot but it always gets me.

Yet in St Anton and Courchevel I've always been fine. I've caught norovirus in Saalbach too, but the worst one was Zell am See when half the hotel including several of our group came down with it. I thought I was turning inside out!!
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
Given the contents of this thread, what exactly has been all aver the alps?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

In Grenoble at the moment.

And the south of England, Chicken and egg?
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
I think Val d'Isere is pretty bad for it, I'm ill every single year, usually a few days in. This year I was struck down on the way home, it was a very miserable journey indeed and a sorry few days afterwards.

I always take hand gel with me because some of the bars don't have soap (the Rosee Blanche loo NEVER has any) and wash my hands a lot but it always gets me.

That might be why when I last stayed there, they had a section of the "welcome to the hotel" spiel all about using hand gel before you eat/drink whatever and if you get ill, stay in your room! Never had that at a welcome event before. Even despite this, one of our party was ill for several days...
snow report
^ Mal d'Isere/Val Disease is well known
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:

I have to ask - why on earth do you keep going back?
snow conditions
Actually I had noticed that in Tignes the restaurant toilets don't have soap in them half the time, it's run out and doesn't get refilled even days later, things like that.
Mind you, many a time in a ski resort have I seen women leave a toilet cubicle, put their helmet on the sink, mess with their hair/appearance and then go out through the main door without washing their hands. The sink has been right there in front of them!

That's the problem there. Just lazy and minging.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, they might use hand wipes instead; I do. Freezing cold water/no soap/no paper towels/useless hand-driers are common in France. In general, Austria has cleaner loos with better facilities.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:

I have to ask - why on earth do you keep going back?

Because the skiing is so great and I love the apres!!
ski holidays
@maggi, yes Austria is much better for facilities, you can tell hygiene is at the forefront of their minds.
ski holidays
Now there was me thinking the country
Austria
with /the/ reputation for lively apres ski is also a country with Hygiene standards wink
snow report
Claude B wrote:
I had a bad dose here earlier this winter.

That is not something that most people would admit to on a public message board. Shocked
snow conditions
I've done 28 days in Val d'Isere this season and have been fine so this is nothing to do with the local tap water.

These bugs can get easily get spread in any resort when there is a large population of people staying in close proximity (eg hotels and chalets).
latest report
@bar shaker, yeah and people not washing their hands after the toilet is the main culprit IMO just like in any other place
snow conditions
We've just come back from 3 valleys and I noted with despair, that hardly anyone washed their hands after using the loo.
It also grates, that oung chalet staff come bounding in after skiing, start to prepare meals without washing their hands.

When the ski companies train their staff, I wonder how much of the course is put over to cleanliness in the food prep area and kitchen in general.
latest report
Mrs NBT wrote:
We've just come back from 3 valleys and I noted with despair, that hardly anyone washed their hands after using the loo.
It also grates, that young chalet staff come bounding in after skiing, start to prepare meals without washing their hands.

When the ski companies train their staff, I wonder how much of the course is put over to cleanliness in the food prep area and kitchen in general.
snow report
@Mrs NBT, exactly what I meant earlier on about people coming in from skiing (guests), chucking their stuff down on the furniture and then helping themselves to afternoon tea, hands all over cutlery, bread knife etc and they've still got their coat on half the time
They can't wait 5 minutes it seems to go upstairs first, wash hands etc
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, yet one more reason to avoid afternoon tea.
latest report
@Dr John, I know!
Or get there first
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, see also: breakfast.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy