Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner, it's not clicking. Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I posted earlier about learning to ski. I started this season (in Europe) and I have had about 15 hours of lessons, and about 12 days on the snow, and so far it isn't clicking.

I can come down a European Blue slope normally, if I take time to stop and look around and some reds, but I can't say I find it particularly enjoyable.

I "think" I have the following problem. First, when I move and turn, I find it very difficult to balance on one foot only, so I'm often leaning in towards the slope. Secondly, when I start to turn, the skis run away from me, and so I feel I am pressing with the back of my leg against the boots, so I'm not feeling stable.

The season is over for now, but what tips can anyone give me for next year please?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a good quality private lesson.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, it's difficult as I've been having ski lessons with both the Ecole de Ski Francais and Ecole de Ski Suisse, but they all seem to come with different suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like you're on the back of your skis/in the back of your boots rather than leaning forward/in the front of your boots - which is about standard for 2 weeks in my experience.

Keep going and book 1hr to 2hr private lessons for say skiing day's 2 and 4 (don't go for a lesson day 1 as it takes a few runs to get your ski legs back). Book the first lesson and if you like the instructor ask for them when you book the second/ask for someone else if you don't. Different people learn in different ways and just because you don't click with one instructor doesn't mean you're a lost hope, just that they aren't the correct instructor for you. Of all the lessons I've had I probably learn nothing in 25%, a bit in 50% and made a significant step forward in the other 25%, all down to how much I did/didn't click with the instructor.

Give it time and it will start to click.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with the private lesson, one to one is the way to go. When you book your next trip do some research and maybe ask on here for recommendations for who to use in the resort you are going to and then book in advance.

Also you could get some technique practice in at a indoor snow centre over the summer, don't know where you are in the UK but there are good ones dotted about: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/The-UKs-top-ski-slopes-and-indoor-snow-centres/

I would go for snow slopes and not the dry brillo pad type slopes if you can.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mh8782, it took me forever to learn to ski. I started late, and was absolutely useless. I then had some private lessons with a native English speaking instructor and then I was away. Gained confidence, started enjoying it, and finally thought- 'I may actually be able to do this one day!'.

Stick with it, but if you want to crack it you may have to invest heavily in good quality tuition. It's worth it in the end.

We now ski six weeks a year, in Europe and in Canada, and we have just rented somewhere for the season next year. If I can do it, anyone can get competent. I know I will never be a classy skier, but I am so glad I persevered.

Private lessons, native English speaker, and time on skis.

Good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Indoor slope or dry slope lessons over the summer. Dry slope will get more for your money and may be more local.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a recent beginner my advice is to not worry so much , what you are experiencing is natural enough so dont be stressing , smile and enjoy the views and atmosphere.
Lessons are the way forward , take a look at the bunny slope next time and watch the folk on skis for the first few days , see how far you have progressed from there in a week Smile
Your doing all right and 3 or 4 decent lessons will have you confidently skidding down the blue slope.
Sounds like your doing what all beginners do and leaning back when your nervous , your on the back of your skis and its natural to feel less control , in fact its good you feel that because thats exactly whats happening.
I did the dry slopes etc , they are good and watching the online videos ,

Search for Ski School Elate Media on YouTube and take a day at the local slope
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lessons here in the UK. Aim for legs that are soft, you can't balance whilst moving if they are too stiff ! Something I found that work really well is to ski without poles, as this takes away somewhere where you can hold tension.

The final aim is linked, round, relaxed turns on a gentle slope. Enjoy the journey getting there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As well as the advice above, you could work on some off-season balancing exercises....ideally with a BOSU ball / Balance Board.....but it could be as simple as standing on one leg (with eyes open and later with eyes closed) and jumping laterally from one leg to the other (and balancing on the leg you've jumped to).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice. The toughest thing for me is not to get despondent and keep at it. I think doing some exercises as well is a good idea, and private lessons again for next year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bend at the ankles
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mh8782 wrote:
I can come down a European Blue slope normally, if I take time to stop and look around and some reds, but I can't say I find it particularly enjoyable.

I "think" I have the following problem. First, when I move and turn, I find it very difficult to balance on one foot only, so I'm often leaning in towards the slope. Secondly, when I start to turn, the skis run away from me, and so I feel I am pressing with the back of my leg against the boots, so I'm not feeling stable.
Leaning in to the hill, leaning back on your boots, not having good lateral balance and not being able to use your turn shape to control your speed are all classic problems for beginners. If you are attempting to ski blues and some reds you are on terrain which is too steep for your skills, and will put you in to survival mode rather than help you develop your foundation skills.

As others have said, you don't have to wait until next winter to improve your skiing if you live within driving distance of a plastic or indoor slope. This would provide a good environment for you to work on your foundation skills, preferably with some lessons in the mix rather than just practice so you can get feedback from an instructor who understands how skiers typically progress as beginners. Where are you located? You might get some recommendations for a local slope.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I can't say I find it particularly enjoyable

I had an immense amount of fun learning to ski and loved it from day one - with the proviso that every know and then I'd get sh*t scared or extremely frustrated. Are you saying the same or that you don't enjoy it most of the time?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mh8782,
Quote:

First, when I move and turn, I find it very difficult to balance on one foot only, so I'm often leaning in towards the slope. Secondly, when I start to turn, the skis run away from me, and so I feel I am pressing with the back of my leg against the boots, so I'm not feeling stable.

You're sitting back and not 'attacking the slope' enough. With more time on the hill, you will get the confidence to commit yourself more.
Follow any of the advice re: lessons above and soon enough it'll all fall into place.
snow report
moody_git wrote:
You're sitting back and not 'attacking the slope' enough. With more time on the hill, you will get the confidence to commit yourself more.
I don't think that's necessarily true. It's pretty easy to develop bad habits from early on in your skiing career, and while it's probably true that more time on snow will give you more confidence, it might simply give you more confidence to practice your bad habits until they become permanent.
snow report
@rob@rar, I think though to be fair - and you got it above with 'survival mode'... leaning forward does not feel the naturally safe thing to do. We all know that it is, and your skis will support you, but psychologically, leaning forward whilst pointing down a mountain goes against what your body wants to do.

I completely agree RE slope difficulty, if you are struggling to turn at all then there is no point being on a red piste. You will only batter your confidence by being rubbish. I say it all the time but there is absolutely no value in simply 'surviving' a more difficult run. You should be aiming to ski something - anything - with good technique, don't feel any pressure to do harder stuff until you're linking parallel turns all the way down a blue.

I think you do have to overcome a basic psychological barrier to get on with skiing. You need to learn to lean forward, regardless of how unsafe that feels; you need to learn to lean as much weight on your downhill ski as possible, regardless of how unnatural that feels; and I think you do have to learn to bite your lip a bit and just commit to it. Skis work better when they're on edge and being bent, so you need to push forward and ski into the mountain, you can't let gravity just take you for a ride.
snow conditions
All those factors that I quoted combined are symptoms of not committing yourself down the hill, or if you prefer, being too passive. It's perfectly normal for a beginner, especially when on steeper sections of runs that push their comfort zone and abilities to the limit.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@rob@rar, I think though to be fair - and you got it above with 'survival mode'... leaning forward does not feel the naturally safe thing to do. We all know that it is, and your skis will support you, but psychologically, leaning forward whilst pointing down a mountain goes against what your body wants to do.
Agreed, there's a lot about skiing that is counter-intuitive. That's why I think it's vital to develop effective movement patterns, beginning from your first day on skis, so you don't need to focus "leaning forward" to try and stay in balance on your skis when the going gets tough.
latest report
Quote:
I had an immense amount of fun learning to ski and loved it from day one - with the proviso that every know and then I'd get sh*t scared or extremely frustrated. Are you saying the same or that you don't enjoy it most of the time?

I think it's fair to say I don't find it enjoyable most of that time. Still, other people seem to like it (hence this forum and all these other people at the resort) so I hope that once I make a breakthrough, it will become enjoyable.
snow conditions
mh8782 wrote:
Hi, I posted earlier about learning to ski. I started this season (in Europe) and I have had about 15 hours of lessons, and about 12 days on the snow, and so far it isn't clicking.

The season is over for now, but what tips can anyone give me for next year please?

Thanks

It will click - you'll know when you ski down a run and think "That was fun!"

btw although balancing on one leg at a time is a very good exercise you don't actually have to do that for every turn, just more weight on the outside/downhill ski.

Also - how strong are you in the legs? Plenty of thigh burn after a couple of days skiing? That might be something to work on before next season.
ski holidays
mh8782 wrote:
Quote:

I think it's fair to say I don't find it enjoyable most of that time. Still, other people seem to like it (hence this forum and all these other people at the resort) so I hope that once I make a breakthrough, it will become enjoyable.

Lots of people like beer but my wife doesn't like it so she doesn't drink it. She's not that keen on cycling so doesn't do cycle tours even though she has several friends who do. You can see where I'm going here. Skiing is a bl00dy expensive sport if you don't particularly enjoy it and IMHO getting better at it doesn't per se make it more enjoyable - it just maintains it.
ski holidays
mh8782 wrote:
Have you done group lessons, or all private lessons? A lot of people seem to like the fun and social side of group lessons, as well as the opportunity to spend more time in front of an instructor.
snow report
So far, it's been private lessons. I tried to do group lessons, but when I recently went, there weren't enough people signed up to do a group lesson.
ski holidays
Hi @mh8782, stick with it. Some people are just naturals and get the basics really quickly and then some of us take considerable time to learn.

As an example I started 3 years ago and have just come back from my 5th week and I finally feel that I'm starting to get it and for reference I've had about 74 hours of, pretty much, private lessons. So you can probably guess I'm the latter of the two types above.

What I've realised whilst learning is....

The people gliding down the slope and floating over obstacles have probably been doing it a long while and I'll get there one day
It doesn't matter I'm not there yet
There will always be someone better than me
There will always be someone worse
Instructors get better the more I learn. Although, I believe this is because as I get better I can implement what they say easier (obvs there are exceptions)
Not all instructors are equal
Its not going to happen quickly, its purely by listening and practice
Snow dome's and dry slopes really do help you get better
It gets very rewarding quickly as you start to gradually get it
Just because my friends say I'll be fine on a run, doesn't mean I have to do it
Technique doesn't have to be learnt on a hard slope
Slopes become shallow with lessons
Pick instructors / ski school based on recommendation

I used to look around on the slope and go why can't I get it, it looks so simple for others. Now I look at them and go - I'm going to work to get that good. Once I realised its just not going to happen I started to not worry so much and then its just a challenge and becomes fun.

If you can do snow domes in the UK then hit them hard over the next 9 months. If you can for your next try pick a resort with a decent learning area which you can reach easily and find recommended instructors. Ask here at snowheads for recommendations for instructors for your result as you might find a one man band operation much better than a big one.

My recommendations based on my limited personal experience are:

UK Snow domes - InsideOut
Aple D'Huez - Masterclass
Les Arcs - Aim Snowsports

Others may also be great but these three are all small and have had a massive positive affect on my skiing.

So please please stick with it because once you start to see progress its really addictive and so much fun.
ski holidays
mh8782 wrote:
The toughest thing for me is not to get despondent and keep at it.

Try going to Austria - nothing like a good dose of Austrian apres ski to make you feel better after a bad day in the office Smile
snow report
Personally I don't think masses of lessons are necessary. You need the mileage i.e., practice. You need to get as many days out on the slopes each year as you can. And get out all day every day. I did a couple of two weekers when I started. If you ski all day every day for 15 days you start to feel like having planks on your feet is the most natural thing in the world. But in the main you have to enjoy it. If you don't it will be like hell. In which case you should do something else.

It helps to ski with others that are just a bit better than you.

Golfs a great game. I know some people who are obsessed by it. When my dad got it into he used to go out in all weathers and he'd do two/three times a week because he loved it. I hate golf, haven't played a round for 25 years.
snow conditions
On my second ever ski trip I ended up freaking out on a blue run, lying in the snow quite upset saying 'this is not fun', taking my skis off and walking down the piste....fast forward 12 years and I am quite obsessed with this skiing malarky Happy It took me a few years to find my feet as it were and really start to enjoy it. My combined love of being in the mountains and drinking beer and dancing on the tables in my ski boots made me persist. Honestly I think that the practice over the summer and then some lessons will really help, if at the end of next season you think nah not for me then fair play it is not a necessary life skill just a fab hobby Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mh8782, The big positive is your perseverance thus far despite the lack of great reward, so bravo. As above, lessons are the absolute key. Just a little surprised that given the lesson hours you've had this hasn't been sorted for you, we'd be addressing your issue (commonplace) well within that time, typically within just several hours. Get to ski school, at worst you may just be a slowish learner, no crime in that, skiing is the most exhilarating of pursuits once basics in place (i.e. control!). Dri ski slope, especially Dendix type, would get my vote over fridges for your purpose. Best of luck!
snow conditions
Depends, @Layne, how you learn. If you are crap atnlearning by example, skiing with people who are better than you, even if they are actually technically reasonable, will just result in you learning bad habits, which once learned are harder to unlearn.

Lessons, with things to practice, needn't be taken every day, but ...
snow conditions
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I just have to keep at it. Unfortunately (or not), I don't know a dry slope nearby. I live in Switzerland, so I'm near the slopes themselves. I think the leaning forward thing wasn't really picked up by a teacher until around 12 hours of teaching. I want to also try some things like strengthen my core, but balancing exercises sound a good thing.

Once again, thanks a lot
snow conditions
@mh8782, If you live in Switzerland places like Zermatt and Saas Fee are open all summer !
ski holidays
@mh8782, Saas Fee has fantastic learner slopes right at the bottom of the resort serviced by button lifts, if in the summer there are great big sweeping motorway runs higher up that will be great for confidence building and you can download on the gondola.
snow report
mh8782 wrote:
Thanks, it's difficult as I've been having ski lessons with both the Ecole de Ski Francais

I might have found your problem...
latest report
Or Glacier 3000 in Vaud if that is nearer for you.
snow report
Keep having lessons, relax, be balanced in your ski boot, rather than forcing yourself forward, enjoy what you are doing, look down the hill and book more holidays.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy