Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed camera A40/A411 GVA

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of weeks back we were returning from a trip to Les Contamines and fell foul of the above camera. Based on the visible signs, I was in a 90km/h limit approaching the 70km/h sign and was braking to get to or below 70 - both my wife and I remember it as the flash going off was a complete surprise given the speed we were at and the apparent signed limit. The issued ticket (thanks Europcar) shows a recorded speed 79km/h.

I headed for Google and started typing in the camera details (PK/PR : 055+190). Lo and behold I had only got as far as "PK/PR" and the full camera details came up in the search suggestions. Seems this is a frequently discussed and searched camera......

After a bit of reading it transpires that while the main signage shows you are in the 90-70 braking zone, there is another sign tucked away (and apparently not meeting local signage laws) showing 70 immediately before the camera.

For the sake of €45 I'm just going to pay but wanted to warn others of this particular piggy bank. I'm going to be crawling past it when I'm back out there in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just a thought - were the pollution speed controls in place? These knock 20kph off any speed limit of 90 or above and, allegedly, the cameras adjust.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No - it was 07:01 on a damp, drizzly morning and the pollution limits weren't in place.

I've just spoken to a friend who works in one of the motorway control rooms in Haute Savoie and he confirmed this one is infamous due to the partially hidden 70 km/h sign some 150M before the "correct" 70 km/h signs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NoDosh, just after the Annemasse Migros? Yep, quite notorious.

Actually in my head makes for an argument against the things as traffic has to drop from 110 to 70 in a pretty short distance... and the bend immediately afterwards, well, hmmm....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst on warnings to others, the tunnel just outside Moutier to Albertville does have a camera in it and it is set near the 70Kph speed limit, a couple of Montalbert locals have had tickets for doing 73. Apparently there is no percentage leeway in France!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, Yup, that's the one. Lesson learned, €45 lighter (plus €35 to Europcar for their role as quisling) and shall be mindful of it when I'm back there in a couple of weeks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NoDosh, yip I got done last month as well, at least you had luxury of knowledge of where your offensive happened, I had a week of worry as I hoped mine was in France and not Switzerland
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It flashed me back in feb but i was in an english reg car.Was quite surprised really as i thought i was under the limit doing 75k
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brock, Yup, that's what threw me as I was just under 80 and braking for the (as I thought) approaching 70 limit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Whilst on warnings to others, the tunnel just outside Moutier to Albertville does have a camera in it and it is set near the 70Kph speed limit, a couple of Montalbert locals have had tickets for doing 73. Apparently there is no percentage leeway in France!

My Tomtom pings this one up, but I have never managed to see the camera. It must be well hidden on the tunnel ceiling.

Everyone creeps through the tunnel until about 2/3rds distance... and then zooms off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker,a pinging gps can get you in bother in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NoDosh,
Think I may have been done by the same one in January. Have the notice from Europcar but haven't seen the notice from the authorities yet. I didn't notice anything at the time and I wasn't in any kind of rush that day so am really surprised that I was speeding anywhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NoDosh, below 100kmh, you have 5kmh leeway: If the fine states that your speed was 79kmh, you were actually doing 84.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
@bar shaker,a pinging gps can get you in bother in France.

An old myth. It's perfectly legal for a GPS to display 'danger zones', just not for it to display the precise location of the camera in a zone.

I'm using a brand new Tomtom with live updates.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been past this camera by Migros Annemasse today.

It is 50metre after the 70km/h sign. So no excuse. The problem, and what I imagine a lot of people don't like is that it a rearward facing camera so it's not easy to notice it despite there being, after the 70km/h sign, a big 'radar' warning sign.
snow report
NoDosh wrote:

I've just spoken to a friend who works in one of the motorway control rooms in Haute Savoie and he confirmed this one is infamous due to the partially hidden 70 km/h sign some 150M before the "correct" 70 km/h signs.

And he seems to think there's no "leeway"
snow conditions
No leeway for getting a fine quashed once you've been flashed, perhaps. You've still got to be rolling at 76 and over to win the prize.
ski holidays
moody_git wrote:
No leeway for getting a fine quashed once you've been flashed, perhaps. You've still got to be rolling at 76 and over to win the prize.

Probably only 73. The threshold in a 110kmh zone is 114kmh, as I found out Embarassed
latest report
@bar shaker, the tolerance under 100kmh is +5kmh, so from 76 you start getting flashed.
Above 100kmh it's a game of percentages
ski holidays
In the last 12 years of living here I have had 9 French fines and 1 Swiss one.
Unless it's changed since November, in France its 5KMH below 100 KMH and over 5% thereafter for fixed cameras.
And 10 KMH up to 100 KMH and 10% thereafter for cameras in moving vehicles.
latest report
Quote:

a rearward facing camera so it's not easy to notice it despite there being, after the 70km/h sign, a big 'radar' warning sign.

...actually 2 big 70km/h signs - one on the central reservation, and one one the nearside, and (on google earth at least) another 70km/h reminder sign just beyond the bridge. Speed cameras in France are always a dull grey, not the apologetic bright yellow things we have here. I assume the thinking is that if they've told you about the speed limits, why do you need to know where the cameras are? I've never understood all the whinging about 'covert' cameras.
And before anyone asks, yes I have had a ticket - a long time ago, in a Dorset village at 1am, on the way back from the ferry.....
snow conditions
Doh... hadn't thought to look on Google Earth / Streetview and you're right - my recollection of the signage was wrong.

Fair cop. I live and learn. And hopefully a few will be saved the pain after reading this.
ski holidays
I take reduced speed limits more seriously in France than here - in my experience they put them there for a good reason. I think some of the lower limits in the UK, for example the elevated sections of the M5 in Birmingham, were set with a 1960's Hillman Minx in mind. I'm sure plenty of people on this forum have driven down the N205 dual carriageway from Chamonix towards Sallanches, (the bit where you end up on the 'wrong side'), and hopefully taken note of the speed limits as the road gets more and more twisty, and eventually does an almost 180-degree bend around a cliff.... I seem to remember there are plenty of speed limit signs on the way down, although I can't get the yellow man on Google Maps to show me for some reason. I notice though that the road is charmingly named 'Avenue de Chamonix'!
snow conditions
Little off topic but there is no leeway in Scotland either now Sad
snow report
@caughtanedge, I don't like driving that section when you have a mad local overtaking you.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
@caughtanedge, I don't like driving that section when you have a mad local overtaking you.

... yes, especially if he's driving a 44-ton truck...
ski holidays
Been following this thread as I had a feeling that I was flashed near Annemasse a couple of weeks ago, and sure enough got the letter through the post today. Was caught doing 83, less 5 km/h tolerance so 78.

45 Euro fine, very annoying, but can live with that.
latest report
on the positive side the website is very clear & easy to use to pay your fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
on the positive side the website is very clear & easy to use to pay your fine.
A pleasure to use and well worth speeding past the camera when ever possible. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy