Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you transport your.........ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I had a pair of boots last year which cracked on the piste and wasn't sure whether this was due to something that may have started off as a small crack from poor baggage handlers. Anyway, i now have new boots and was wondering how you transport your boots. I normally just put them in a boot bag and put them through check in. Or is hand luggage the safest bet, because theres no chance of them fitting in a suitcase.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO, boot bag should be fine. If you're not sure, wrap a sweater around the buckles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AN02ZEJ, Were they orange-pink? Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there's a special compartment in my holdall
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Good Question.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wasn't the orange/pink cracked boot issue for a specific model of skiboot SMALLZOOKEEPER, or am I on completely the wrong track?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, I've had six pairs in this season already and was witness to one pair as it happened, French Boy of around 6 last weekend at La Clusaz. He was fine, told me he would carry on skiing with them for the duration of his holiday, another 6 days, despite them being broken in three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my suit case
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my holdall.... All in and over the shoulder...
If its too heavy to carry a couple of hundred yards, I've packed too much....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
AN02ZEJ, Were they orange-pink? Little Angel

Nope, they were black.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AN02ZEJ, Nordica or Tecnica? Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nordica
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AN02ZEJ, I wouldn't worry too much about the baggage handlers, your problems were caused by sun light and extremes of temperature. At current that type of plastic is no longer in use. However an over cautious approach certainly won't damage things. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AN02ZEJ, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Looks like you're unlucky, limited to ski-ing in warm, dark places wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...like Champery at midnight a week last Saturday
ski holidays
buy a soft holdall and pack them in the middle of all your clothing, never had a problem using this method. I've seen the baggage handlers 'handling' peoples boot bags, usually thrown from a great height, and there's no way they're getting my boots in a boot bag!

AW
snow report
I take the absolute minimum extra clothing when I go skiing (regrettably only 1 week at a time) and therefore I find I CAN indeed get my boots into my medium-sized suitcase. One less piece of baggage. Been doing this for years quite successfully. On the other hand, a couple of years ago, my partner's yellow (Nordica ?) cracked up and fell into pieces around her feet - clearly the plastic had just deteriorated/deplasticised to such an extent. She had to go back down the mountain, virtually in her inner boots and buy a new pair of ski boots immediately.
ski holidays
Mine are in a compartment in my soft-ish case, surrounded by lots of clothes. I don't think all airlines will take boots on as hand luggage, but this is just something I think I've read here rather than first-hand fact!
snow report
Last trip I had I simply wore them on the plane, there and back. Had to take them off to get through security, and got a wry comment from the Swiss immigration official, "Ready to go skiing then", at about 10pm. Oh, and a "straight off the slopes - good job" from a BA cabin crew returning through Gatwick - at 7:50 am.
ski holidays
I always carry my boots on. Never leave my side. I use a Transpack bag (backpack-style with an unusual triangle shape). If your boots can crack, they're made of the wrong kind of plastic! Shocked
snow report
GrahamN, Laughing Laughing
latest report
jstw, what brand of holdall do you have that comes with an included boot section?
latest report
Ian Hopkinson, I purchased this holdall last year with its own boot compartments - works very well in keeping everything together snowHead
snow report
20-year old Salamon Club boot bag.
ski holidays
Michelle, That looks amazing value.
ski holidays
Nick , yeah - it's pretty sturdy too - well, it hasn't fallen apart yet, anyway wink Laughing
snow conditions
Michelle's bag does look good, mine is [url=http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/440013||@cSki%20Bags%20&%20Luggage@bDakine|0|user||12|]Dakine[/url] and although is very good and sturdy & seems to be withstanding baggage handlers batterings well, it is quite heavy even when empty.
ski holidays
I always carry my boots in a boot bag as cabin baggage. I figure that if my checked luggage gets sent to Tierra del Fuego in error, I can always rent everything else I need, but I want to make sure I've got boots that fit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually just pack mine in my holdall. If weight is an issue (as with Ryanair) then I carry them as hand luggage. No problems yet.
ski holidays
packed in the back packs , don't like the idea of airport staff having another bag to try and lose wink
snow conditions
As prev said, I vote for the middle of large holdall surrounded by clothing.
snow report
I leave mine out in the resort!!!! But then I do go back each year (only got enough leave for one skiing trip a year!

Having said that I brought new boots this year and took then out with me. They went in a boot bag along with loads of other shoes that we needed out there and they were fine as checked baggage!!!
ski holidays
They go into a boot bag, which I take as carry-on luggage. That way, as I go to different resorts, I can always guarantee that if I make it to the resort, my boots will too.
latest report
ssh, Wear The Fox Hat, that's great for the US but a boot bag is too big/heavy to comply with European 'carry-on' luggage allowances.

I suppose that's another reason for skiing in the US eh Fox? Pity the lift passes are so expensive there wink .
snow report
Tomorow will be the first time I fly out with my own boots and skiis and im paranoid that some idiot baggage handeler is going to break them. On the plus side I suppose at least it would mean i can go ski shopping again snowHead

The side pockets on my boot bag are getting stuffed with bubble wrap (with another bit between the boots to replace the divider which I have lost)

god knows what to do to protect the skis Confused
ski holidays
the_fatadder,
Quote:

god knows what to do to protect the skis

Thermals, ski socks, towels and underwear in this household Very Happy
ski holidays
spyderjon,
Quote:

a boot bag is too big/heavy to comply with European 'carry-on' luggage allowances

I've never had a problem so far. I always check the definition each time I travel and make sure size/weight is within limits (my full boot bag usually weighs about 9kg).
latest report
snowbunny, So how much protection does your underwear afford? Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy