Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Base layer

Poster: A snowHead
Good day snowheads
So in a little over 2 weeks we are off to Andorra on our fist ever ski adventure.

We have got all the kit but I'm struggling with what to wear under my jacket and trousers.

What do people wear and any recommendations?

Thermals or just t shirt

Thanks all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I usuAlly where a base layer - thin if warm, thicker if cold and then a wicking tshirt
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear a long sleeve Arc'teryx thermal top (expensive but sooo good) with some thermal leggings. A buff works wonders if it's really cold.
End of season just a running t-shirt, no leggings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Merino wool base layers, top and bottoms. Then a fleece top unless it's April (I have three of varying weights and can double them up if it's particularly extreme).

Just make sure all your layers are wicking (no cotton) and then add more as necessary. A merino buff is great in all weathers as it doesn't get cold when it's damp.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stewpot101, layers basically. Doubtful you'll need anything under your salopettes unless they are just shells.

Your top half you need to mix n match base layers of wicking material, T Shirt, long sleeve thin and a fleece should see you through most conditions. Obviously vary what you wear depending on how warm/cold it is!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layering is the key. If it is warm you may only want a t shirt, if it is cold then one to several long sleeved tops. Zip necked tops and full length zipped jackets/fleeces are useful. Depends also on how active you are, including sitting/standing around or on chairlifts, and how warm you feel - also how warm your jacket is. Neck and face and head buffs, hats etc also as needed.
Ditto on the legs - thermal type long johns, wooly tights, polyester leggings etc.
You don't need overly technical or expensive stuff: things or "thermals" designed for walking or mountaineering/climbing, or other sports will do just as well ( try e.g. Decathlon's cheap basic ranges, work well IMHO). But make sure that they're "wicking" and let sweat evaporated, polyester, viscose, fleece & similar, not cotton. Wool is apparently good: if you're not allergic to it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^pretty much this, cheap enough synthetic wicking base layer, plus extra layers/thin/thick fleece to suit.

One thing to add is that some synthetics (and merino) can get pretty smelly quickly - look for one that has an anti (stink) bacterial treatment, silver ion or similar to keep you fresh as a daisy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Icebreaker merino stuff or TNF base layers. Wear for at least 6 days (No wonder @PaulC1984 was coughing on our recent trip).

Then cheap fleece Gillet. Then Shell.

Alternative is Base layers and TNF thermobobble.

All on piste advice. Off piste, wear the same but carry kit in case you get stuck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take some travel wash and then you will only need a couple of tops. Normally Andorra in mid March is warm, but it can be cold especially with high winds so do have layers. I wouldn’t worry about thermal leggings unless you get cold easily especially if you are a beginner as learning to ski can be hard physical work that keeps you warm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear an icebreaker merino base layer (200g if warm or 260g if colder). If really cold I'll add a midlayer (fleece), thermal bottoms under ski pants & again if cold I'll also wear a neck gaiter. As others have said don't wear cotton you need layers that can wick moisture etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its easy to over do it and end up very hot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewpot101, It's a little hard to recommend without knowing for sure what your jacket and trouser insulation is. If they are insulated it's a big difference than if they are shells. Personally, I would always recommend shells and layering.

And, you know, your mileage may vary.

Personally, my usual is -

Top half: non-thermal but wicking tshirt, then a light thermal long sleeve top (both Decathlon, cheap as chips), then a proper insulation - typically a modern superlight jacket (Arcteryx Atom) - topped with a breathable, waterproof shell.

Legs: Decathlon fleece leggings under breathable, waterproof shell trousers. NO cotton other than my briefs...

Having skied rather a lot and living an hour from the Alps it must also be said that I have a variety of strategies (too many clothes) to deal with very, very cold weather and spring skiing in the sun... and touring ... and cross country ... etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought a couple of DHB merino base layers from Wiggle and was very happy last season. On top of that, I might add a micro-fleece at best and a backup buff too... especially for my easily burnt pale skin!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It has been very mild of late and I just wore a running tshirt and a thin micro fleece. If colder I replace the tshirt with a thermal base layer (Can get cheap from Mountain Warehouse or Trespass shop).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our jackets and trousers are from mountain warehouse and are insulated.

We have never skied before and have lessons booked.

I'm guessing that we will get quite warm up on the slopes possibly just shorts, t shirt and a fleece might be sufficient.

My 8 year old is coming along aswell so don't want her to get to hot/cold
snow report
I've just returned from Andorra with my family, it was very sunny last week with little wind. We wore thin base layers and insulated jackets. I run warm and only have an insulated jacket so normally just switch to a merino wool base layer on very cold days.

It forecast snow and colder for end of this week, check weather but pack for both scenarios.

I don't normally wear a backpack but found it useful with kids to carry a little water, gloves, mid layer and buff etc. Also don't forget high SPF sun cream, its easy to burn your face.
snow report
As @dklemm, says
Quote:

pack for both scenarios.

Otherwise it'll say "balmy -1 all week" and by day 2 it'll be -25!
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Icebreaker merino stuff or TNF base layers. Wear for at least 6 days (No wonder @PaulC1984 was coughing on our recent trip).

As an experiment I wore the same Patagonia Capilene base layer for 12 consecutive days whilst away the year before last. No issue with odours.
ski holidays
Aldi/Lidl merino base layers for me then depending how cold it is somewhere between none and several fleece or merino mid layers before either my hard shell or a stuff in your pocket lightweight down jacket on the top half. I tend to run pretty warm so other than cold mid winter days bottom half is just some ski trousers with a bit of insulation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy