Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed Please Level 1 Lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and my wife have done beginners lessons twice. We can both now do a green run without any issues. On blue runs we are both ok, although my wife ploughs most of the way down and by the end of the day her legs are knackered. I am considering booking intermediate (Level 1) lessons, your experience/thoughts please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would book a beginners lesson on day one of your holiday as a refresher but then intermediate for the rest. Book that first lesson for first thing in the morning then you have the rest of the afternoon to practice. Alternatively, book private intermediate between you both so that you can "dictate" the pace.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, sorry should of said we have done the 2 beginner group week lessons over the last 18 months.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't book beginners group lessons, especially at the start of the week. You will be on the bunny slope learning to put on skis, possibly walking a short way up the slope and sliding down, coming to a gentle stop. If you are unsure of what level lesson to book speak to the ski school and explain what skiing you can do, what terrain you are happy on and what kind of turns you make, and then let the ski school put you in to an appropriate level of class. If after the first lesson or two you are not comfortable with what you are being asked to do speak to the instructor or the ski school office and asked to be moved to a different level. Ski schools are used to putting clients in the correct level group, its something they do all the time and its in nobody's interest to get it wrong.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^ perfect advice!
We happily group people every day if they want!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone else done Level 1 please?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
louiscrow wrote:
Anyone else done Level 1 please?
Level 1 with what ski school? Different ski schools will describe their ability levels in different ways. Also, a decent instructor will teach the clients they have in that lesson choosing terrain and tasks which are suitable for their clients in that session, rather than follow a set programme for "Level 1" lessons. So a Level 1 lesson may well vary from week to week, from group to group.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After two weeks of lessons you should just get out and ski. You need to get lots of mileage in before it's worthwhile getting further instruction. All IMO of course.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ESF I believe Rob? Just really need to get to the next stage and feel comfortable coming down a blue. Weeks group course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@louiscrow, do you know that @flangesax and @rob@rar are instructors? They have given rhe correct advice
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@louiscrow, thanks. I think the best thing to do is explain to the ESF office what skiing you've done, what kind of turns you and your wife like to make, and whether you have a preference for a slow group, quick group, etc. In a big ski school like ESF they should have no problem putting you in a suitable group.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @robrar, @flangesax thanks ever so much for the advice, it is really really appreciated. I really want the mrs to enjoy the holiday but she is a little worried. I will speak to ESF (booking through sunweb) so think it is ESF? and go from there. Thanks again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@louiscrow, whereabouts are you and your wife skiing? You may be able to get a recommended instructor from the vast knowledge on here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belle Plagne area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Open to anyone whom can assist?
ski holidays
@louiscrow, I had some great private lessons with Reflex. I was staying near Plagne Centre - but they would travel for private tuition I'm sure. If they don't do a group lesson over by Belle Plagne (probably worth checking with them if a group is what you are looking for) some friends had a good experience with Oxygene who probably do.
latest report
Your wife will I'm sure be fine with ESF Level 1. I agree with Rob: the beginners session wouldn't be a good idea for someone who has skied before. I know people who have done the ESF L1 week more than once because they preferred the more gentle pace and terrain than was expected on the ESF L2 course, and it sounds like your wife might be fit that category. If you find you are in the wrong level there is usually a fair amount of shuffling between groups, so I wouldn't worry about getting it wrong.
snow report
Where there's a choice, it might be worth exploring the possibilities of the other ski schools. Will be more expensive (possibly considerably more) than ESF but small groups - 6 people - are better than big ones.
ski holidays
@louiscrow, is there any possibility that you could get to one of the UK indoor ski places to remind your legs what they're supposed to do before you go?

May be even have a private lesson or two?

A couple of hours here might accelerate your learning once you go on holiday.
latest report
louiscrow wrote:
Hi @robrar, @flangesax thanks ever so much for the advice, it is really really appreciated. I really want the mrs to enjoy the holiday but she is a little worried. I will speak to ESF (booking through sunweb) so think it is ESF? and go from there. Thanks again.

If you haven't already booked and paid for the lessons, it would be worth having a look round at what else is available. There are some great English speaking ski schools in La Plagne. ESF are of variable quality wherever I've seen them.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your advice throughout the day. It is really appreciated. We will book level 1 group lessons through SunWeb and speak to the ski lesson company when we exchange our vouchers. Thanks again all.
latest report
Gone through all schools and what they offer and really torn between doing the weekly group lessons or 2 x 2 hour private lessons. @rob@rar, @flangsax I presume you are not in the belle plagne area? Can anyone confirm what maybe best? Is anyone from Oxygene on here?
latest report
@louiscrow, IMHO and given you've only had two lessons I think a week of ski school would give you more instruction and you'd get more out of it? This is assuming you were just going to get 2 x 2 hour private lessons vs 5 days of ski school?

If you go for ski school don't be afraid to ask to move groups if they put you in one you think is holding you back (or pushing you too hard). Also make sure you (and your wife) at least get sometime skiing first behind the instructor!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Also make sure you (and your wife) at least get sometime skiing first behind the instructor!

This. You will learn far more if you are copying the instructor's turns exactly, than if you are at the back of the line trying to guess what they did. Don't hog the front of the group, but don't let others be there all the time either.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@louiscrow, IMHO and given you've only had two lessons

Ooooh, just read the OP again. It said "Myself and my wife have done beginners lessons twice". I took that has two weeks of lessons, not two lessons. Maybe the OP can confirm?
latest report
louiscrow wrote:
Gone through all schools and what they offer and really torn between doing the weekly group lessons or 2 x 2 hour private lessons. @rob@rar, @flangsax I presume you are not in the belle plagne area? Can anyone confirm what maybe best? Is anyone from Oxygene on here?
Sorry, I don't have any experience of ski schools in La Plagne.
snow conditions
@louiscrow, In your situation I would definitely be getting group lessons (and indeed we did that for the first two solid weeks of skiing and only didn't in the third because of cost).

A good instructor should make sure that everyone gets a turn following them, but sometimes politeness can get in the way of this so keep an eye on how much time you are getting at the front...

One of our group two years ago used Oxygene for group lessons and said good things.
snow conditions
@Layne, Yes two groups of beginners lessons so 2 weeks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
louiscrow wrote:
@Layne, Yes two groups of beginners lessons so 2 weeks.

In which case I would go for 2 x 2 hours private. Perhaps one on the morning of the second day and another on the fourth day. This would give you a day to find your ski legs and then a day and half to put into practice the instruction before your second lesson.

Private tuition IME is much more focused and intensive.
latest report
Thanks again all, booked 3 x 2 hour lessons through EL PRO.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy