Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good European resorts for early season skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to a book a week at a resort in December (16-23). I have narrowed the search down to one of the higher altitude French resorts - Tignes, Val Thorens, Les Deux Alpes - but just wanted some feedback from people who have been at these resorts in December to know what conditions were like.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I would have said that by eliminating Austria from your list you have lost a good number of good resorts for early skiing. The early snow has been much better in Austria than France for the last few years (though of course it may be different next year)

Welcome to snowHeads though snowHead , I am sure that someone will be able to advise you on France as loads have been at those times you mention.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cfellinger, welcome to snowHeads!

I suspect the replies you get will all be along the lines of "you'll have to wait until December to be sure". The last two seasons I've skied in Val D'Isere/Tignes in December - in 2005 conditions were excellent (but only thanks to a huge dump the day before I arrived - before that things had been very bare), and this year snow was a little sparce, but mainly skiable. This year all the early season snow seemed to go to Austria, which by all accounts had some fantastic conditions from late November onwards.

If you are set on booking in advance, then I would suggest that your safest bet is to go high and French, but there are no guarantees. If you can wait until a week (or even days) before you go, then do so - you won't have any problem finding availability.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cfellinger, You could look at La Rosiere, the following is a quote from 'Where to Ski and Snowboard Guide 2006' :

"This modern resort sits in an elevated position at the end of the long Tarentaise valley, which runs roughly SW-NE. Both the village and the ski area are open to storms from the west and south-west that are funnelled up the Tarentaise valley. La Rosière receives the full energy of these storms, and gets more snow than, for example, nearby Val DIsère, at the same altitude but in a relatively enclosed position"

Last season we had a total snowfall of over 12 metres and the early season was very good, as it usually is, we're open for business from the 10th Dec. If you're interested have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to www.tracksvacations.com for more details.
snow report
 brian
brian
cfellinger, one thing about high altitude resorts, is that the terrain is usually pretty rocky and requires a fair old depth to cover it up. Last December, the likes of EK and the 3V were struggling for snow while lower altitudes like the PdS where you're skiing on grassy pasture were fine.

That week is one of the quietest of the season, if you're thinking tour op then I'd leave it last minute. If you're thinking diy then book the flights somewhere with plenty of scope to cover as large an area as possible and do the accom last minute.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the information - we are all at the mercy of mother bature when it comes to snow! One reason I focused on French resorts is because it seems there are more affordable accomodation options (specifically self-catering apartments) there than at Austrian resorts. Sepaking of that, anyone have some tips/websites for booking accomodation online (accomodation only)?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have used these and found them reasonably well priced www.ernalow.co.uk
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
www.skicollection.co.uk
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
www.skibanff.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy wrote:
www.skibanff.com
Puzzled

For France??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Val disere this season at the end of January and the snow cover wasn't the best, even high up. So I am guessing it might have been pretty ropey early on. I'd go with austria. I prefer to ski runs which are tree line rather than vast white deserts.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
www.pierre-vacances.com The MGM ones (residences mgm tab at the top are v nice).

More MGM at http://www.cgh-residences.com/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B,

I know, but very good early season and not that expensive.

Crystal are doing Sunshine Inn over Chrimbo for £750ish incl lift pass and tuition
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cfellinger, we were in Serre Chevalier at that time last winter. Although the snowfall had not been brilliant, the snowmaking on the lower runs meant there was decent coverage, and as it was below the tree line, less rocky than the higher slopes. it was cold, so at least they could make the snow. However on new years eve heaps of snow fell.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wasn't anyone in ADH at the begining of last year?? I remember our first guests arriving 9th December and I was having kittens trying to find a place that rented moutnain-bikes as an alternative to skiing!! But we had snow - in fact the conditions were truely fabulous and of course the resort was pretty much empty, so the slopes were very much to ourselves. I'm sure that Easiski will back me up! Regarding accommodation you can get some seriously good prices at that time of year for just accommodation. If ADH appeals I'd be happy to help you.
ski holidays
cfellinger, Yes - Les Oisans (ADH, LDA and several other smaller places) had super early snow. Here, you're always guaranteed skiing due to the glacier which is pretty big. You wouldn't have to bus anywhere to get to it either. I had loads of peeps out before christmas (opened last w/e nov) and they all had good skiing. Re: accommodation - no problem - just go to the resort website, or alternatively ask on snowheads - lots of options without paying an agency any of your hard earned! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy